Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New printer or buy cartridges for old ?

Options
  • 07-11-2021 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭

Hi I've an old printer scanner which needs new cartridges approx 40 euro. I can usually refill them when necessary so doesn't cost much to run

Would I be better with a new printer or are the running costs very high ? Is there a particular model to go for ?

Thanks

Comments

I always look for unused cartridges on Classified Ad sites to get genuine product from a consumer who has moved on to something else. This strategy has been working for me for years but I might have a more common printer than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

How much printing do you do and what kind of printing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Very little printing, black and white

Don't need color ,was also thinking of a cheap laser maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If you dont need colour , then yeah cheap laser.

If you want to stick with inkjet , i am currently very tempted by the Epson Eco Tank all in one solutions , which have ink tanks you top up vs cartridges to running costs are a fraction of the cartridges. Cost of the printer is obviously higher.

Does the current printer have two cartridges (black and tricolour) or separate cartridges for each colour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

2 cartridges ^^

In most cases you should be able to just replace the black cartridge which immediately cuts your costs. Sometimes, when printing in high quality text, color ink is laid down as well as black but if you there is an option to select a fast or draft print setting, it shouldn't be a problem and will use less ink.

Advertisement