Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EV owners without a home charger

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For charging at home - I've an assigned parking space directly in front of the door to my home, but a public path between. I've seen some neighbours charging PHEVs with the little black and yellow ramp over their granny charger cable where it crosses the path. I'm not sure the proper ettiquette (or legal / insurance cover) for that situation.

It could probably work for a few hours top-up to add an extra few KMs, but I'd doubt if overnight would be a goer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ramp is a bad idea, someone will trip and sue, we have discussed this many times.

In your case if you own the car parking space, you can get a charge point installed at your space and wired back to your house under ground. You will need to jump through a few hoops and it won't be cheap. This forum's moderator liamog has done just that a good few years ago. He has posted on this forum about it many times. I know search is problematic on the new boards.ie site, so if you can't find it and you have a serious interest in implementing this, I suggest you PM him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks @unkel and @innrain - very useful to know and I couldn't find that sort of thing with the new boards search.

I'll reach out to them to see details of who and how for such a pedestal install. I just thought that I was goosed for home charging options. I know it'll probably end up more expensive up front for that sort of deployment, but the value will definitely come in the long run.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Saw this recently, looks like a decent solution for homes with a footpath between the house and the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Until some twit decides to do chin-ups on it! :)

Ah Jaysus. Was just going to post I could see very little that could go wrong with that setup 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I only see one problem with the setup and that's that it's not an EV being charged.....

In fairness the whole point about a PHEV is that you charge it at home / at work all the time. It's a bit like having a first gen Nissan Leaf back 10 years ago. Obviously with the drawbacks of having to schlepp around a dirty heavy combustion engine, drive train and fuel tank as well as the electrics and battery.

• Advertisement

I'm no electrician, but that cable looks far too skinny to even carry 16A. Maybe for a granny cable, but certainly doesn't look suited for an EV charge point.

Advertisement