Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alder Lake?

Options
  • 07-11-2021 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭

Which side of the post-release hype fence do you fall on? On the one hand, lots of reviewers are proclaiming "king of the hill" and "Zen killer", and others seem to be prepared to mention the frankly horrific power draw. Looks to me like there is a bit of a wash on Win11 vs 10 right now.

I would say the only reviewers I've seen do it fully in depth are Gamers Nexus and Anandtech. Anandtech are the only ones who have actually done the most meaningful benchmarking in my mind: DDR4 Alder Lake vs DDR4 Zen. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2674?vs=2894. This takes out the performance boost that Intel is getting by moving to the new RAM standard before AMD, and keeps the differences as close to architecture vs. architecture as you can.

If you rob the stats off Bench, and categorise them, and ignore the extreme outliers where there's a 500% or greater advantage for one over the other, then you get the following: (my categories may not be 100% here but hey)

Overall, Alder Lake wins more tests but Zen, when it does win, wins at a larger margin. Games are a big win for Intel, but things like media creation aren't.

For me the big story is the massive 140-170w power increase Intel is having to eat to even get these wins. Whether that's because 10nm is still ****, or because they still haven't got the cores themselves right, it's pretty embarrassing.

Will be very interesting to see what v-Cache Zen will look like.

Advertisement