Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimea campaign medal?

Options
  • 08-11-2021 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

This medal has been in the house for decades. It is not, as far as I know family related, I think my Grandfather or father may have found it years ago. Probably Cork related. On the edge is the solider details "Cpl John Sullivan Royal Regiment" and a number.

How can I track down (online preferably) the history and details of John Sullivan? Or can anybody enlighten me with any details?

Thanks Mav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That is a Turkish Crimea War medal issued for a campaign fought between1854 and 1856 to survivors of the campaign.

About 100000 we're issued to UK survivors.They were issued un-named however some soldiers got their names inscribed on them.

I'm not sure how you'd trace the soldiers details particularly if you bear in mind how old the medal is and Sullivan being a common name.

I'd Google regiments that fought in the Crimean war and that might be a starting point for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Thanks Corner of Hells. I tried the Googling to no avail, it seems that individual service numbers were not regularised until WWW1 and as you say Sullivan is a common enough name.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

There were three different types of these medals issued - The inscription in the exergue reads "Crimea 1855" for British issue, "La Crimee 1855" for French issue, and "La Crimea 1855" for Sardinian issue. Due to the loss by shipwreck of 22,000 of the medals intended for British recipients, many awards were made with whatever issue came to hand, the most common being of the Sardinian type.

Over the years many have mistakenly believed the flags and cannon to be the obverse of this medal, and many of the recipients wore it that way. The side with the Sultan's cypher or tughra is the correct obverse, although most collectors today continue to mount the medal with the flags and cannon as the obverse.

Send me his number as well and I can check him out - I have an access to the medal rolls and service files, if survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The only regiment that matches is the Kings Own Royal Regiment. You could email them via their website and ask if they have the rolls from the crimean war period

Apologies for the delay, but I put the medal away safely and I couldn't find it.🙃

Found it now, the number is 3354. Would appreciate any insights.

Thanks Mav

• Advertisement

Advertisement