Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options
  • 08-11-2021 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What do people make of this guys

Impressive finish but not an overly impressive performance , he was getting hit way to often from a guy of William level,

I seen his post fight interview & he seems to be getting a bit ahead of himself

His confidence is verging on delusion but he has so much time on his side & plenty of room to improve,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What did he say post fight?

It was a nice finish, but he got hit a lot to land it. Almost like he fancied he was Conor the second coming and thought he was could slip and land at will against bottom tier UFC.

He's very young and relatively inexperience. So has lots of room to grow into the sport and get better. But I really hope he has a mentor telling him he needs to work and get better. Instead I'd fear he's likely to have people blow smoke up his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

For me, it's hard to warm to him. Nothing wrong with a bit of confidence but, as you say, it's verging on delusion.

Doesn't help that there's a bit of a Yoko Ono element going on and it kind of irked me when he had a dig at Team KF is his post fight interview.

I'm sure the highlight going forward will be the KO, but he was losing that round and getting clipped. Consider that the two lads in the main event are in his division...... I can't see him getting anywhere near any of the lads in the Top 15 TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He said a lot ,

Basically reckons he'll be fighting Khamzat for both the Welter weight & middle weight titles & saying if anyone wants to fight him just send him a contract & he will win , Its funny because at the same time he is also saying he wants to take it slow, I think he actually said i want to go fast but slow, I'm all for confidence but just seems a bit delusional after the performance,

I know its nothing to do with fighting but the whole thing with his missus is cringe she was the reason of his departure from Chris & the lads, Didn't see get married in the last few years & only recently enough have a kid , From the outside it looks like Ian could be milked possible a tad unfair to say but sure look ,

I do hope the lad goes on to great things

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I was high on him before the split from KF. He's big and athletic so could do well but it's really a question of his mentality and guidance going forward. He has a lot of work to do as he is so young but will be massively hyped being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Khamzat Smesh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm gutted for Chris and Tom that they weren't their the other night in his corner. They deserved to be on that stage. No need for a dig at them in the post fight, they are fantastic coaches and spent so much time making him the fighter he is.

His rise has been quick, amateur to the UFC in about 3 years. He's very young though, it really depends on how the UFC manage him. McKee was the last to come over from cage warriors and was fed to Chimaev.

Maybe moving out to America is the right move for him but the old doll has way too much influence over him. She's a near 40 year old woman with the name of a 23 year old kid tattooed on her. Fit AF though to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I've been following his back story on Sean Sheehan's MMA podcast and he seems to be very highly rated by anyone that watched him in Cage warriors. Hope he takes small steps in the level of opponent he takes. Still plenty to work on. Many parallels with Paddy Pimblet's debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭badabing106

This is a beautiful contest to watch, the artistry of some of the engagements is lovely to watch. Poetry in motion. This is the world title fight against Jack Grant. Sit back with a cup of tea and enjoy

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x831hdh

Good interview with Ian Garry on The MMA hour with Ariel Helwani this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If you were being charitable, you could say that he ate all of those punches as a way to lull Williams into overextending. That allowed him to catch him with a counter in the manner that he ultimately did. In reality, it was probably a step up in competition from what he was used to before and shows that, despite his own hype, he is a long way off from where he thinks he is. On the plus side he seemed to be solid in the clinch and the finish was great when it came. If the UFC want to get the most out of him they would do well to give him some more inexperienced fighters for the time being.

• Advertisement

I seen the MMA hour interview & i think the most telling thing he said was he doesn't want to fight until next march as he needs time to learn, With all the bravado aside i reckon he got a bit of shock in how often he got hit ,

William's was pretty much fed to him & still gave him plenty of trouble,

You'd have to wonder who they give him next with all the talk & comparison's to Conor plenty will want to take his zero & hype given the performance,

Didn't catch up on the mma hour yet but thats good to hear that he recognizes its a massive step up. He's joined a hell of a gym though, no offence to team KF its another level.

Ye its great gym full of killers,

Gilbert Burns & Vicente Luque are both in his weight class so it'll be interesting to see what happens if they ever have to fight,

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Trained with him in swords when it was SBG swords and he seemed sound enough,gave me a couple of decent tips.

Heard from a guy that trained there that he left the gym as he was beating up lads in sparring that were far below his level but i cant confirm that.Not sure the exact reason him and KF parted ways.

He seems to getting far too ahead of himself as people have pointed out and this ridiculous Bonnie and clyde act he has going on with his bird is cringey.Its so set up and their blog vids are barf worthy.She seems to be using him to elevate her social media.If i had advice id have him ditch her as she seems to be a distraction to him.

Time will tell how he gets but from what ive seen he has a good bit to learn and plenty of room for improvement.

Seen as you where there is there anything to the rumours of her asking to much from the two lads who own the gym, Basically for him to be treated like a super star while still on the way up , that they had to train him on his schedule & to his beck & call ,

I find it mad that people form all different walks of life get the same vide of something , Everyone seems to think he is smitten by her but she is more about personally gain from a situation she seen coming,, Crazy & probably unfair considering none of us have any real insight into it ,

I do wonder where is her young child in all this ,Does he live with them

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

I was there when it was SBG so wouldnt know any of the recent events.Im training in a different gym now.I was chatting with the lad in my gym and he was telling me that GARRY had been very heavy handed and dishing out beat down on lads at a much lower level,basically being a bully.

As for the girlfriend,she seems to have gotten involved on a managerial level thinking Ian should be getting alot more focus and basically being treated as a superstar when hes far from it.

The usual external influences that steer people in the wrong way.

Seems he needs to slow down and try stay humble.

As for her kids,shes been travelling all over the world with Ian,from costa rica to the east and west coast of the US and not a sign of her kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

THe kid not being on the IG or Youtuve videos doesn't mean the kid isn't there. Plus I don't think the custody arrangement. Maybe the dad has him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Why do irish mma fighters come across as such idiots?. Garry,gallagher, and most of kavanaghs crowd even that sinead kavanagh talking about how she was going to punch a hole in cyborgs face. Our boxers totally different, generally likable characters but these mma lads, jesus. Not having a go at ayn of the lads here but, christ its enjoyable seeing alot of them getting bet.

Because they have seen from McGregor that having a big mouth, helps promote a fight and make more money. That's not exclusive to Irish fighters though, look at Leon Edwards, the guy has been killing it in the WW division but isn't pushed like a loud mouth like Darren Till was. Colby Covington, the 2nd best WW there is and was going nowhere until he started his gimmick. Kavanagh has plenty of down to earth pro fighters in his gym, but you've probably not heard of them.

Gallagher is actually a lovely fella, but that lite McGregor act is awful, but it still got him a lot of money in Bellator.

Garry will win a few fights and talk his way up the rankings like Conor

The lad went and got SOUL MATE tattooed on his fingers , its all going to end in tears isn't it ,

• Advertisement

He seems very naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

His man love for McGregor is cringe. Chap has barely stepped in the Octagon and he's on about taking over.....it's just silly out of place confidence that is not at all genuine.

Michael Chandler chose Ian Garry as a name to watch out for when asked about up and coming fighters in the gym on a recent appearance on the The weighing in podcast with John McCarthy.

That's high praise given the caliber of fighter in the Stanford MMA gym.

Ye it just didn't work at all did it, Connor is still in the game its way to early to try be giving him homage , be your own man

Also it worked for Conor because even when he made crazy predictions you sensed & felt he was convinced it would happen , Just saying stuff cause Conor did is not the same, Also in the beginning Conor game across aggressive but cold if that makes sense, Ian just come across cringe & goofy,

It'll be interesting if he makes it higher up the card & proper trash talks starts m you just know someone will go to town on how he comes across as a lap dog with the missus,

I seen that didnt himself & DC make a list of up & comers each liked ,

Out of curiosity how many of Chandlers picks where from Standford MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

100%, there’s something totally off about her and she’s totally using him for her own personal gain, he’s obviously blinded and doesn’t see it

Someone sent me his latest Insta stories & the sum up whatever thinks .,

He's moaning that his missus gets stopped every where they go & he wants to kill someone & of course its her recording it & loving what he's saying , She also seems to go to training with him every day & he goes as far to say he only gets out of bed and goes because she wakes him and makes him ,

I'm not sure what worse looking like a teenage boy with his first girlfriend who can't handle attention she gets or claiming they will be a world champion & not wanting to train, He's only had 1 fight & already sounds unmotivated

Really hope I'm wrong & want the kid to do well but but it looks like it's all going to end in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I see Garry is set to be on UFC 273 against a 5-1 opponent (0-1 in the UFC). Looks like they aren't rushing him anyway. Interesting as well that his first 2 fights will have both been on numbered cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

a very hard lad to like from what ive seen.

Needs to stop getting hit in the face if he is to progress up the rankings , which i dont think he will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If he's given a decent opponent he's back to cage warriors, that's the reality, he was fed a terrible lad and got beat up for most of it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement