Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Burns won't fihgt Garry there very close friends,

Garry sounded delusional after the win , HAs he got CTE ? Said he charmed the sank charming after being outstruck with ease by MVP, Going on hes the best calf kick in the game along with Potan & that everyone is afraid of his striking ( He just got outstruck by a 37 year old ) & will now fear his grappling , he literally held positions on MVP who can't grapple had his back for 2 rounds & couldn't finish him,

Did he and everyone forget that MVP was on top & chose to stand up, If he had of just stayed there & done nothing like Gary did form back, he would have won the fight,

The lad is off his rocker, Got dropped by Kenan Song & hasn't finished anyone of note,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,274 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Crikey, do you realise he's still unbeaten? Do you see how well prepared he is for every opponent?

Yes he got dropped by Song but many would be beaten after that, he wasn't. He got up and dominated the rest of the fight.

He doesn't have to finish anybody if he can dominate fights.

His only problem in my opinion is his partner who seems to be telling him what to say. Before he met her he had a very good, and nice, personality.

Look he i no bum but his last 3 fights have been painful, hes barley getting by now , He's up there claiming to everyone is afraid of his striking & grappling now & he is going to be the Goat, He going on like he put on a grappling clinic & out struck MVP its delusional , Could he not hear the boos throughout the fight

Seems like he has a real lack of self awareness ,Daniel Rodriguez is the only fight where he had no issues and ran through his opponent, Everyone else has had something for him on the feet. Hes not some prime Anderson or early Izzy

MVP got beat by Logan Story recently

Neal lost 4 of his last 6

MAgny is 3 in 6 & his wins are against Mallot,Rowe & Rodriguez

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Being well prepared is great. But it's useless without the base skills to impose that preparation.
    I mean, I could prep the perfect game plan to deal with MVP (it's not hard) - but zero chance I can implement it.

Grappling with MVP is a basic game plan. But I don't think the performance really qualifies as being well prepared. Actually well prepared would be finishing the leg lock or the RNC. Which should be auto-pilot stuff when you're talking about getting a black belt and winning world championships in jiu jitsu.

Just like he had some success as a blue belt in BJJ comp and just parked it there. There are so many levels to it.

Having a body lock & his back for basically 3 minutes & not finishing someone with MVP grappling is far from impressive ,Especially when it was clear MVP didn't even attempt the basic escape

Ian after spoke about hand position but it really surprised me he didn't have the squeeze to finish it even with poor technique ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Zverklez

26 years old, undefeated, the longest winning streak in his division, the youngest ranked fighter in his division, rocked once in 8 UFC fights. I think people need to relax.

He's still one of the lightest welterweights ever on record who can fill out his frame as he matures (180lbs on fight night vs Neal) and has incredible game planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Seems people are falling into two categories since the MVP fight. Those on Garry's nuts saying things like "incredible game-planning" and those who want to hate saying he's delusional.

The reality is in the middle.

He won the fight, he's unbeaten and he's doing well for himself. He's beating all those in front of him so far.

However, at the same time he hasn't looked like the World Beater a few seem to want to sell him as. He had a good gameplan v MVP that's true, but it's also true that he needed to take the fight to the ground because he was losing on the feet.

Him being unbeaten isn't really something to judge him on, everyone is unbeaten until they get beat. Has he been good? Yes. Does he look like a champion in the division? There are others in the division much more impressive than him. Jack Della, Shavkat, and he looks a long way off the champion.

The issue is that he's talking like he's the uncrowned king of the world. He's not!

All above is true , People are only weighing him up against his own expectations & his own comments,

For example his striking is no where near thew level he thinks it is, Hes been touched up in every fight bar the Rod one,

As for game planing , Round 2 he pulled guard looking for a knee bar & had no idea how to finish it & ended up losing the round,

Round 3 he shoot after 1 minutes & got put on his back from it , he literally only won the weekend because MVP decided to stand up if he just sat there in guard he wins the fight

This was a guy saying he was to young , to quick to strong , It was a truly awful display , he won by stalling in 2 positions,

Jack Della MAddalena is only 27 & stealing his thunder right now

Some of his comment are delusional , Best calf kicker in MMA with Potan ,

People are afraid of his striking & now his BJJ, His BJJ was not great at all, He had someone back for half of two rounds and came no where close to a finish , He had the position for the leg lock & had no idea how to finish either, Basically got a body Triangle & stayed there, & when he took MVP back in the 3rd was way to forward, Again this is against MVP , MVP is a purple belt but that is nothing these days

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ian's 8 fight unbeaten in the UFC is legit. But Leon and Belal both have active streaks that are longer - 12 and 9 respectively.
    I assume you excluded both due to the NC.

He won 8 fights in the UFC and deserves credit for that. Most fighters signed lose their debut. I haven't criticised the fact he was won. But I have criticised the way he goes on about certain things. He talks about his grappling a lot. He referenced all the grapplers in WW, how they'll "obviously" want to grapple with him due to his striking. So he was focused on grappling and was going to get a black belt from Maia.

That last fight did not look like a focus on grappling. I would worry that without a solid team around him that grappling will he hardest to train.

As for talking about being the uncrowned king. Talking shjt about the entire division works when you steamroll them all. When you back it up. Finishing everyone on the way to the title or whatever. If he was finishing ranked guys he could keep it up. But this last 3 fights were a change in pace. I think he top 5 shot will be telling.

Advertisement