Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How good do you think he can be ,

Personally i can't see how he cracks the top 10 at WW even if given hand picked lads to suit him,

The likes of Michael Pereira & Ponzinibbio are ranked 17 & 18 & i don't Garry beats either of them

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Petermc83

hes only gone and gotten married to her.... 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Was watching a few interviews and the chap is deluded.

Talking about retiring people and how hes the next superstar ffs.

Hes a bag of cringe ,with his 'i got you' tattoo on him related to the time he sorted out a visa for her to the US...had to turn the interview as i felt nauseous.

This whole bonny and clyde thing they have going on is puke.

SUch an echo of mcgregor off him.

If he makes it ,great, but wont be too upset if and when he gets battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Best thing that could happen him now is getting spanked this weekend and then a reset of the attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Petermc83

I wish he just let his fighting do the talking for him. Since leaving KF, hes ramped up the whole character to another level and although it gets him noticed, it just doesn't attract him to the fans imo.

its no coincidence that its happened ever since shes come into his life..

Thought it was quite funny when he showed Ariel his knuckle tattoo's he got instead of a wedding ring & Ariel says did your wife get them to, Ian face kind of drop eh eh no but ,

He's the lapdog she's the boss of course she didn't get them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I think he could be in a spot of bother this weekend tbh. The lad he's fighting gave Brian Barbarena a very good go on short notice, and Barbarena is no mug at WW. For the odds Garry is riding atm, you could do worse than backing Darian Weeks, he has lots of amateur experience too and a background in boxing, something which may trouble Garry with how easily he got hit by Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It seems that it's not just the people in this thread who find him a bit much:

Even the start of that interview I'm so loud, I'm so fun ,its just me, its how i am & yet told everyone he practised hard on his fist post fight speech in the cage, Your either being you naturally or your not,

Him constantly talking about his missus is massive sign of insecurity , We all have one that we like , its normal man chill

Hope the kid does well but he needs to relax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

I hope he does well for himself but I find him hard to warm to compared to other irish athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

"Im the best talker out there, theres only 2 that can do it as good as me and thats Conor and Chael"----the guy is insane!

No one can compare to the Bad Guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DiamondsBernie

Yep, I think Weeks will be throwing more volume and he went for plenty of takedowns on Barberena. Weeks took that fight on short notice too. Garry is what you would call an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

What time will he be fighting tonight? its a tough fight for him

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

He is 100% not up to much IMO. it would be best for him to lose this fight as he is still quite young to change his mindset.

At present he doesn't come across as the brightest chap and it's clear he is completely delusional about his own ability.

Too many guys trying to mimic conor by backing themselves to a deluisional degree. They seem to get it off of Conor. But the funny thing is, when you look at Conor early in his UFC career, he was actually just obsessed with fighting and just confident in his ability. Compare his interview with Ariel Helwani in Dublin in 2014 or so and he is a completely different person to who he is now. He was focused and very aware of his own abilities.

Ian Garry just does not have that self awareness which is very important to be able to improve. Wish him well, but don't see him having a huge impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

and knocked her up too!

She got the underhooks in there

Good win and fair due to him,

But the delusion is stong firstly in his own skill set & secondly he seems to be very unaware of his own situation, Trying to get ole ole going and talking about the irish coming out, bar about 15 mates & his own family members, I doubt anyone actually traveled over to watch, He seems to think he has McGregor like following its a bit bizarre that he can't read the room

Id imagine when the reality hits that the Irish public don't really take much notice of him it'll be devastating, especially for Layla who thought she was on to McGregor part 2 gravy train

For the record his father is an absolute gentleman & im sure Ian is to

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Seemed content to win points. Needs more gusto and killer instinct. The ole ole ole nonsense is seriously grating. FFS. It belongs in the early 1990s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,274 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A bit cringy but not nearly as bad as peoehete are making out.

It's what he does in the ring that matters at this early stage of his UFC career.

He looked decent enough the weekend. Might well make the top ten at some stage but lots of work ahead to make himself a contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That's the thing though, isnt it? It's what he does in the ring that matters and what he's doing in the ring is extremely ordinary.

He squeaked a decision against an unranked opponent on Saturday but he's acting like he's about the smash Usman and trying to get Ole Oles going in a room with no Irish people in it!

It's easy to get behind a bit of warrented hype. And it's easy to get behind a good fighter with humility.

But when the bravado doesn't match the skills......... it's going to rub people up the wrong way.

He was up against a dangerous fighter and got a 30-27 decision win, shows he's smart.

As I said the aftermath was a bit cringy but he's excited after a win so you have to take that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Can't criticise Gary at all for his performance. A very mature and controlled performance.

The lad may be beyond cringey but he does have talent. Have an awful feeling though as already seen he will be rushed to the top and be exposed.

What does being excited after a win have to do with it? He must be walking around in a constant state of excitement in that case because he's been doing and saying the same stuff for months now.

There's a disconnect between his talent and his idea of himself at the moment. Maybe he'll prove us all wrong, but he does himself no favours by acting like a world-destroyer when he's eeking decisions against lads with 0-1 UFC records on the prelims.

Conor McGregor 2.0 he aint!

You'd swear nobody else was at it. The majority of them talk the big talk. Don't be getting your knickers in a twist over something so trivial.

He did what Chimaev's coach wanted Chimaev to do - fight smart.

He's young and learning at an elite gym. He has good size and a great engine which is always a handy starting point.

If he had got involved in a fist-fight shootout we'd be sitting here typing about what a fool he is and that he doesn't have it upstairs to make it.

Who knows how high his ceiling will be but two wins on two stacked numbered events along with the UFC clearly fancying him... he's on the pig's back.

Whether other people do it is immaterial. This is the Ian Garry thread, so we're discussing Ian Garry doing it.

Also, other people doing it does not make it right. If others were doing it, they'd be rightly criticised also.

He's saying how everyone is going to call him daddy........ there's been nothing in his first two UFC performances to show that he won't be made into minced-meat by anyone in the Top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 damomaher

Proof in the pudding , all you lot talking about him

Another irish fighter on soon and it is quiet

• Advertisement

There's no proof he will be either. He seems to have a decent defense against everything.

Advertisement