Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ah thats just cause he seen mcgregor slap some lad in the pub.

Listen to the reaction when Garry comes on stage. Look at the smile on Dana's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ian is completely cringy in the way he goes about things. I've found him forced from the start. But that has no bearing on whether Magny was wrong or not. Most people are of the opinion that it's no longer ok to hit kids. Even people that say its probably harmless still know its wrong.

Ian spotted the dumb comment but wasn't able to really turn it into a hilarious gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I get a real Colby vibe off of him not good at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Colby is kinda funny tho not on the level of McGregor 2013-2017. IG is just cringey and awkward tho he is a very good fighter. But he doesn’t have the verbal delivery or charisma of then Conor or Colby now. Conor in those years had everything, the looks, charm, charisma and humour, plus the big Irish balls to beat the head off anyone he fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Back in the day McGregor had charisma and genuinely could roast anyone on the spot!

Colby and McGarry are completely wooden and pre rehearsed or just pure Cringe!

McGarry especially needs to do some more talking in the octagon before he starts shouting his mouth off!

I get it though thats the game now! Become a name before you necessarily make a name!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Zverklez

Is "McGarry" the new "Conner" now?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,274 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's a big name now after that. Seriously impressive performance.

Very good interview as well. Said he wants Wonderboy next and over five rounds. So looking for a fight night main event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wonder boy turned the fight down straight away,

Great win but Magny was on 2 weeks notice , on one leg & still went the distance,

I really want Ian to do well but he is so unlikable , to cringe for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Very dominant performance, be hard for anyone even Leon, Colby and Usman to defend against them daddy-long legs kicks. Colby and Usman will just take him to the ground anyway. Not a fan of IG at all but I think he will be champ before he is 30.

Magny showed terrible fight IQ out there. He’s a blanket, he’s boring. He knows that’s his strength, but he attempt zero decent takedowns - the opportunities where there

Magny did make a few attempts, he got to him once but Garry fought him off. Many times in the fight when it looked like Magny might attempt it Garry kept him at distance to prevent it.

Garry showed his fight iq last night. He's done that in a few fights now. I presume he's with a great team, he always looks impeccably prepared.

He attempted two on the cage. But they were pretty bad attempts. He caught a left at one point, but just held it instead of dragging him down.

The biggest effort he made to turn it into a ground fight was buttscooting repeatedly after being dropped.

Yeah but there's two things. Firstly Garry kept him at range unless it suited him to close in. And then Garry has shown already in other fights that he has an exceptional takedown defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Awful thing to say/admit to beating his 3 year old son. Hopefully that comment/admission doesn't go unchecked.

Garry kept him at range, except for when he closed in.

A basic principle of takedowns is timing that change in range. Magny had openings, but just ignored them for reasons unknown.

In which fight do you think he demonstrated exceptional takedown defense? I’d be said he’s been largely untested - but still taken down a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Zverklez

He talks about taking it slow, but I don't think they will hold him back after 2 more wins and a title shot becomes available late 2024 / early 2025. Most of the big wrestlers that he would face aren't going to be around much longer. Chimaev looks to be leaving the division permanently to fight at MW, Colby is 35, Usman is 36 and Belal is 35.

Shavkat is obviously the other big prospect, but I was not impressed with his fight IQ against Neal who is bang average.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah if he gets the Thompson fight and wins then he won't be to far away from a title fight . Maybe 2 more fights after that? He'd have to win them obviously😋

It also helps Dana probably sees dollars when he looks at him which should speed it up also.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Jaysus that was so hard to watch. He seems to be trying to be conor, andrew tate and jake paul all rolled into one. imagine sitting in a pub chatting friends and one of them acting like him, he wouldnt get away with it thats for sure, you are Irish mate, we dont act like that so cop on ya ejit.

3 piece suit on, whens the wedding?

talking about never leaving the octagon with a mark, mcgregor was at that as well before and eventually he left it with marks and a broken leg.

I never liked conor but if he ever fought against this guy, id be cheering conor on.

This Gary guy thinks he is the greatest man that ever lived lol

you would think he was after talking on 10 mma champs at once or something.

imagine what his wife has to listen too 😥

youtube comment, just what I was thinking, she must be deaf.

Iv noticed a lot of young lads acting similar the last few years, one guy told me id be better off making money from youtube than running my own business, next time I saw him he had a job in the worst place to work in my local town lol These lads would want to cop on to themselves, they are deluded and not half as talented and smart as they think they are.

He seems to have forgot Song Kenam nearly put him out with a left hook, the same shot he got caught with twice on his UFC debut against Williams,

He doesn't have a great defence when he fight half decent strikers

The ex husband stuff is bizarre, why is he in the camp , its all a bit odd

I get it, he's Irish so we have to be against him just like with McGregor.

McGregor was smart, he knew how to attract people who never bought a ppv in their lives. He turned very nasty then and there was the bus thing. That appealed to all the gangsta loving types.

It's okay to shout for Adensanya, we won't worry about him using the n word or talking crap and being generally nasty all the time.

Garry seems to be a bit off but he's Irish and I want him to win. There was nothing wrong with what he said after the fight last night. I've heard hundreds of fighters saying similar. I didn't see the post fight presser. No idea what he said there. And yes some of the stuff he says is cringy but that's not a reason to decide not to support an Irishman.

Him talking about his family is cringe, no one cares about that, you are a fighter, thats all people care about, if I want parenting advice, I will watch Dr Phil, not an mma fighter with a $hit love heart tattoo on his hand that looks like it was done in prison.

Just watch the press conference and come back to us then.

I wasn't specifically keeping a running total of the number of times he was taken down over his UFC career. But if I was guess, I'd probably say around once per fight. Obviously he wasn't taken down here, nor when he KO'd a guy quickly. But not been taken down isn't the same as having exceptional takedown defense.

I would only say somebody had exceptional takedown defense if they repeatedly fought guys with solid takedowns and defended them repeatedly. Getting taken down once, and defending once against a rando with weak takedowns is not exceptional imo. I'd really like to see him on the ground before a run at the best 7 or so guys

I agreed about the way he goes on. I've said for ages I fee he tries too hard, and lacks the charisma that McGregor had. He seems to be trying to create photo ops, or iconic comebacks.

But in the interest of being fair. Calling out the the he is wearing a 3 piece suit is scraping the barrel stuff lad. I know there's Irish auld fella mentality is that suits are for weddings (drink driving court appearances). But I don't think Jim down the pub should still be setting the fashion trend anyore. If anything I'd have said that's was another Conor inspired move. Dressing like a professional was as aspect of the game Conor elevated imo.

Local fella talking about youtube, weird if it actually happened. But how's a guy working in a crap job relevant to pro fighter who just cashed a 6 figure purse. Seems overly bitter to bring it up tbh.

No need for a 3 piece suit at a UFC press conference in fairness, its just trying to be Conor.

What I was saying is guys like Gary, Andrew Tate are having this effect on young impressionable people, just an observation, its producing people like that guy in my story.

• Advertisement

Not much was made of it but Gary threw his arm over the top of the cage a few time on Saturday night when Magny had him in the clinch, & the leverage of his arm over the top of the cage made it impossible for Magny to drag him down, The Ref was very soft & let him away with it ,

Magny usually drags you down as opposed to your normal take down, to me that showed a bit of panic in Gary , His first instinct was to grab the cage & the ref warned him then he hung his arm over the top , That is panic & looking for something to hold yourself up ,

Also at that stage Magny leg was gone so he had no chance o getting a strong base to pull him down,

It was a very good performance from Garry , i just wish he was likeable,

Advertisement