Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Not so sure its just an Irish thing, the level of hate he's getting on reddit is unprecedented. Everyone just thinks he's a diickhead megregor wannabe. Calls to feed him to Shavkat.

Flip side is it'll result in views, intentional or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Surely it’s a knock in effect from everybody being sick of McGregor? Garry following the same big mouth model and people are just fed up of it so turning on him straight away

Personally I don’t mind him yet. He’s backing up everything he’s saying. Let’s see how far he can climb up that ladder

• Registered Users Posts: 38,496 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm sure the target at this stage is publicity. If you get compared to McGregor, in a good or bad way, there's going be a lot of people checking you out.

If that's what the plan is it's brilliant and it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its not in the same stratosphere as McGregor in interest or hype,I started this thread in nearly 2 year ago & we are only page 9,

Hes had 6 UFC fights & only on page 9 & about 3 pages are due to the one sided war of words with Magny,

He still need the one masive win , that one really big moment,

Conor came in & called out the very very best form day one , Garry been a bit more respectful but somehow still managing to be less liked ,

Conor was special , his persona just took over everything UFC in his early years ,

• Advertisement

I didn't say he was anything like McGregor, I'm just saying that any comparison to Conor whether it be good or bad is a lot of publicity.

You can see how busy this thread has gotten since the Magny fight with lots of it about what he said and the cringiness etc. And then some complimentary and not so complimentary about his fighting.

I remember when you started the thread and how weeks went by without any posts.

I don't know if he is doing this stuff on purpose or not. I just said that if it's part of a publicity plan then it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I just hope Dana was right about a fight night back to Dublin next year if he wins again.

I like listening to Garry until he has a fight when he starts being cringeworthy as he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Even saying doesn't want to be rushed to title fight like a Till

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

I know wonderboy is pushing on now but I can't see how Garry would beat him. He's not in the same league striking wise. I think it could be a boring dance off if anything. It's a pity he won't fight Gilbert or Shavcat

Just to remind people, before he started this latest stuff he was talking about his wife and child and how much they mean to him and how he wants to make sure they are financially set for life. He was saying some stupid stuff as well but he showed a very human side.

He's very like Wonderboy in that you don't know where his attacks are coming from as they are incredibly well disguised.

I'd agree with you that it would be a boring fight as neither wants to make the mistake of going in and getting caught.

Wonderboy said he wouldn't fight him. Why would he not want to fight him if, like you, he thinks he'd beat him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

It isnt a competitive fight. Wonderboy is 40 and a shadow of himself

Garry like Wonder boy will struggle with a good boxer who can apply pressure,

Ian is not great backing up , he's been caught in boxing range numerous times with good shots & been rocked more than once, the most notable was Song Kenan ,

Wonder boy doesn't have many fights left in him & wants just big names which Garry is not just yet ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Dana White said Wonderboy said he wouldn't fight him. There's quite a difference there. If Dana White told me today was a Thursday in August I'd have a good look at the calender before I believed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

id still be skeptical he paid the calendar off too say it was a Thursday in August

He's showed them times that he has a good jaw. He came back strong each time.

I disagree about Wonderboy. Whose he going to fight?

He fought Burns, he fought Muhammad and lost to both. I doubt he wants any part of Rakhmonov. Chimaev and Covington are looking upwards with no intention of taking on anyone outside the top five.

So he has to look behind himself. He's already fought Neal and Luque. So it's either Brady or Gary.

Gary guarantees a bigger payday. It can be a fight night main event or very high up a ppv card. That's a bigger payday than he'll get against anybody else.

Chimaev is off to 185 so that's one less fella to dance with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

A human side.... Sure. He acts like he is the only person in the world to have a kid. Just extremely annoying and patronising personality.

Do you have kids?

Everybody thinks their kids are the best kids in the world.

For most people it's like they enter a bubble when their first kid is born. It's like nothing else matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Conor beat the living daylights out of IG at sbg on Friday. I heard it from a reliable source, IG showed up uninvited shouting he was the top dog now in Dublin don’t think he noticed Conor’s purple Lamborghini parked outside. Needless to say Conor showed him what’s what and IG left with a very bruised ego and 2 black eyes.

What you say is correct but 90 % of top 10 fighters have kids and nome go on like that,

I think it stems from his missus who's his agent & manager wanting to be in the limelight too, so the kids there with them

• Advertisement

He was invited , invited to train & invited for dinner ,

It wasn't even a proper spar just light movement and showing each other. Few of there favoured tricks

Oh I agree she has an input in everything he does.

I do think it'd be a smart thing for some fighters to do though. You speak to a lot of people watching the sport if you do things like that. Those with a good guy reputation like Sean O'Malley would endear himself further with a lot of his fans by talking about how important his family is in his life.

In golf there was never anything like that until Phil Mickelson's kids ran on to the field after he won a tournament. He ended up with huge sponsorship after it. He went from regular golf sponsors to Ford and financial institutions.

I've no doubt that was staged by the Mickelson family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I know this is completely off the point of this thread, but I just finished Phil's biography by Alan Shipnuck last week.. It's a great read!

i see on the MMA Hour he;s claiming he would have taken Strickland apart & Izzy lost that fight Sean did not win it,

It'd be an interesting fight with Strickland but that'd be down the line. He needs more experience before he faces someone like that.

There is a big size difference between WW & MW,

A lot of Gary's length advantages would be gone,Gary is a smaller & worse version of Izzy ,

In Ian's game his kicks are his main weapon we have seen in previous fights he been hurt when hes boxed with far worse & smaller men than Sean , Can't see how he beats Sean as of today

As of today? Did you even read my post?

Like this bit.....

'He needs more experience before he faces someone like that.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Garry would want to get a ranked win at Welterweight, before he starts talking about Middleweight.

I do think based on his age and his height he could end up at Middleweight eventually, but that's years away from now.

No no i did , experience is one thing but i don't think he possesses a good enough skill set , I think his boxing will let him down when someone deal with his feet,

• Advertisement

He's obviously got a great team around him and prepares exceptionally well for every fight.

He's very talented. I was worried about the Magny, thought it was too early for him but he was excellent. He's going to keep moving up through the ranked fighters now. We'll get to see how good he is. I hope he moves up slowly.

I'd like to see him fight Neal next or Luque or Brady.

Advertisement