Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying housemate

Options
  • 08-11-2021 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I caught my housemate lying in the summer. It was a white lie but nothing serious and it didn't bother me, so I never said anything. But it was still a lie.

So last week this housemate showed symptoms of covid. He hid in his room and never said anything to anyone else. I was still going into work which I wasn't happy about. But then apparently being fully vaccinated I am good to go about until I show symptoms. With covid being so weird, I could have easily ignored mild symptoms and continued on and going into work. I'm watching out for symptoms and also using antigen tests.

Anyways, my housemate was caught in the kitchen coughing and spitting by another housemate and it was then he said he had the "flu". He had aches and pains, blocked nose and a cough and blamed it all on getting soaked in work. Which are all symptoms of covid as well. He self diagnosed himself as a flu and continued on himself to get cold and flu remedies from either the shop or the chemist and hid in his room.

It was completely reckless behaviour from him. We have a WhatsApp group set up so that we could help each other with all things covid and other things.

We should have known to watch out for symptoms, we should have had windows open in the house as well but we didn't know because he didn't say anything.

Anyways we told him to get a test because there's no way of knowing. He could have went online and booked a test for the day after but he didn't. He got up the day after and was hoping to get a test by walking in... He messaged our WhatsApp group saying he couldn't get a test and that he was going back home for a test. Back home is in Galway (we share a house in Cork) three hours on a bus and he doesn't drive.

I told him that he shouldn't use a bus with symptoms and to ring a GP for a test. He then made an excuse that he doesn't have a GP in Cork and can't get one. I told him that he doesn't need a GP to ask for a covid test. He ignored this and was going home regardless because he knew it was just the "flu". I don't think he knows how serious all this is.

So he talked about going back home for a test and getting one through his GP. I honestly don't believe he booked a test through his GP back home, no doctor would tell him to use a 3 hour bus journey with symptoms of covid.

Anyways, apparently he had a test on Friday. We waited all weekend on his results and nothing came. So Sunday he messages our WhatsApp group saying he had to ring the HSE for his results which is something you do if you wait over 48 hours. He was told he didn't have covid. I find it so funny how his results took longer and blaming the HSE, especially coming from someone that already lies.

This was something I didn't know that happened, ringing HSE after 48 hours and I thought they send results by message which I said. I am just meant to take his word that he's negative when I know he already lies. I wasn't accusing him of anything, just I thought they send the results by message. I don't think he liked my message because he threw a fit and said he will be moving out when he's over the flu and he will send on the results when he gets them.

I honestly don't think he was tested and Monday morning and still no message back about his results.

Why is there so much hassle for a test?

How does all this sound from an outsider's view? Is he lying?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Have you ever had a Covid test? They tell you you should get the results within 48 hours and if not to contact them. So in that regard it's very likely he's telling the truth.

My son had a headcold a few weeks ago. He's asthmatic. I knew it was a headcold. Being asthmatic myself I also know the symptoms of a headcold + asthma. He needed a steroid for a few days but the doctor insisted he go for a test, even though I knew he didn't need one. It came back negative.

It sounds like your housemate was pretty certain he had a cold (flu would have him laid up in bed not able to be out and about) and didn't need a test. The test isn't particularly pleasant and unless I really needed one I wouldn't be volunteering for it.

I understand your concern but at the same time you are very overly involved in another adult's life. He's negative. He doesn't have Covid. If he didn't get tested and was just pretending, he'd have told you 24 hours later that he was negative rather than go into detail about not getting a result yet.

He probably went home to be closer to home and have someone look after him while he's under the weather. An understandable decision to make if he feels his housemates are suspicious of him and not keen to have him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

No wonder he went back home with housemates like you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Maybe he was annoyed as you more or less said you don't trust him unless you see his results. And then asked to see results of a personnel medical test.

Why would you find it funny his results took longer?

This was something I didn't know that happened, ringing HSE after 48 hours and I thought they send results by message which I said.

This comes across to me that you say he is lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Hi Op, i have to agree with big bag of chips, the man is an adult and can make his own decisions, you are treating him like a child of yours, maybe ask yourself is it just a case of you don't like him, if so that's a different issue. He might see you as a nag so gave you a white lie just to fob you off and i'd probably do similar no offence. It's a worrying time but you are double jabbed so that's a good thing try stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cork.gal

What if he was positive and stayed quite about it? I could show mild symptoms and ignore them and infect someone else? All I'm trying to do is not pass on covid.

• Advertisement

What if, exactly you don't know, and his medical condition is none of your business if he said it's not covid, it could be a cold it could be a flu it sounds like you panicked and jumped to the wrong conclusion. If i were you, honestly i'd apologise i think you are totally in the wrong, sorry !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Baybay

OP, forget about the white lie you mentioned first as it’s not really relevant.

In my opinion, your housemate is irresponsible so be delighted he’s moving out.

We all know what symptoms to look out for & when we should book a test. I’m aware tests can be difficult to book now due to demand but he could have isolated more diligently at home while he waited. And travelling by bus, perhaps to older or more vulnerable family members? Wow. The Covid test isn’t that onerous physically or financially so I’m not sure what he was thinking putting so many at risk. You can’t “know” you’re not risking the health of others. Fair enough if he wants to take chances with his own.

He had three symptoms of covid. What about the HSE advice that he ignored? To isolate and get tested. It's ok to self diagnose then and put others at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My girlfriend has several covid tests (work-related ) in cork , she rang , made an appointment ,diectly with testing service - was seen within 24 hours and had the result the morning after -

Chances are he just wanted to go home to Galway- and he definitely shouldn't have gotten on the bus -

Nothing you can do about any of it though..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

he had symptoms of a common cold, did he have a severe cough, loss of taste and difficulty breathing ? if he did then i'd agree, but i doubt he had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

You're both in the wrong imo.

Housemate should not have got on a bus to Galway with those symptoms.

But OP is also out of order to ask for evidence of his personal medical status, and to essentially accuse him of lying.

Both parties probably delighted to see back of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You are 100% correct OP. Your housemate is a selfish arsehole

If he had it, didn't get tested, and passed it on to you, I reckon you would be within your right to let it be known at his workplace etc. that you have it. Ironically, they'd probably then insist he stays out until he gets a test done .... even though he is likely recovered.

Symptoms of a cold, flu and covid can all overlap.

How do we not know this yet? Isolate and get tested. We weren't asking anything else of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah. We are 18 months into this. And then people then wonder why numbers are rocketing up.

So is it ok if I display symptoms, cough all over the place and tell someone to fück off because it's my personal medical status?

but you were, you were accusing him of lying and making a public thread about it ! look i'm done i'm not sure why you asked for opinions if you are going to lose the rag with people here aswell, there is a diff between colds flu's and covid. Generally the taste and difficulty breathing. I guarantee you there is thousands with cold symptoms not getting tested, and i'd be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Thread locked.

OP you have been forum banned a number of times and asked not to post in Personal Issues again. Registering a new account to get around these bans is against site rules.

Do not post in Personal Issues again. Do not register a new account to post in Personal Issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement