Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good news for businesses as RTE announce women are now working for free until the end of the year

Options
1235»

Comments

I don't really think training women to negotiate would solve the problem, but if that's training someone wants to run, I wouldn't be against it. I'd prefer if there was training for recruiters/interviewers. I'd also like to see webinars/talks for people (not just women) analysing studies around the gender differences in salary negotiations, including proposed strategies for men/women when interviewing and negotiating. In many cases, the negotiation techniques used by men are seen as inappropriate when a woman does it, and in many cases a woman is point-blank refused the opportunity to negotiate. Things like 'x is my minimum or I walk' can be seen as a man knowing his value and having other options; whereas with women it's more often that their bluff will be called, and in some cases, it will come across to the employer as fussy or demanding, and can result in an offer being retracted.

That said, I'm not claiming to know how to solve these problems. I just think it would be great if people could have reasoned, objective conversations about our privileges and biases.

Re, negotiation, many men will avoid facing the hassle of negotiation, and will simply hope for promotions. Just because many men are decent at negotiation, doesn't mean that most are. There's a reason that there's a massive industry of self-help or management related books out there aimed at giving people (although males were the primary audience for decades) the confidence to negotiate, argue, push, or whatever is required to achieve success.. and even then, many more will fail.

"Reasoned objective conversations" would, indeed, be nice. As opposed to the often displayed need to portray women as being victims in the workplace.

What are these privileges that men have that women don't?

Initiating or demanding a salary increase or promotion is generally a bad idea for anyone (unless you're top of your game). There is a reason that most companies have performance reviews every quarter or 6 months, and the employee has the opportunity within a closed environment to negotiate. Few managers would like to be cornered by an employee demanding a salary increase, especially since anything like that would need to be passed by HR first anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

An Post have today announced they have reversed the gender pay gap and now pay women more than men. What a great move for equality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

They're claiming credit for something I suspect was always the case since most postpersons are male and pay for that job probably isn't great. Another illustration that the gender pay gap is mainly down to the occupations and industries people tend to work in.

Years ago, Guinness paid very well and employed males in the brewing area; clothing factories employed women at low pay rates. The gender gap was largely illustrated by cases like that.

Advertisement