Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club championships 2021/2022

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The football was dire. The rugby match was actually quite a good game. Alot of the Linerick Crowd were late into the Gaelic Grounds because of it.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Treble double

Congrats to Kilcoo, but I hope that's the last I see of them. I know they cut their cloth to meet their measure but their style of football is horrible to watch. Lateral passing, running down the clock, everybody behind the ball it's not for the neutral not that they will care. Worst thing about it is because they got over the line with that dirge, there will be hundreds of club teams around the country aping them.

Thanks be to God the top teams at Inter County level have gone away from that negative game plan.

Must be said Crokes play a very conservative style as well. The only team that brought a bit of joy this year were Portarlington with a highly entertaining kicking game.

Would love to see adventure trump negativity, not going to happen at club level where you are dealing with less talented players and coaching safety is easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Yesterdays finals were lost amongst all the sport that was on yesterday, St patricks day was an ideal day with very little TV competition , GAA are gone mad cramming everything . Many people hardly knew the club finals were on yesterday only for the dramatic finishes getting some coverage on the RTe news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think they're going to be on the st Bridget's Bank Holiday going forward so should have the day to themselves. I was in multiple pubs yesterday all had the Scotland Wales game on and looked at me like I'd 4 heads when I asked to put on the hurling.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Congratulations to Kilcoo. A proper club with genuine supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I read a good suggestion yesterday, could the new st bridgds day bank holiday ( 1st Monday of February rather than 1st Feb precisely) become the new club finals day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The rugby was bound to dominate the sports coverage yesterday so nobody should be surprised that a lot of people were unaware about the club games . The six nations is huge now especially with Ireland one of the better teams with a chance of a world Cup even and the social side is huge .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭54and56

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Bad form imho to single out Kilcoo for playing a possession game. I watched Kilmacud in the Leinster final and AI semi and they played a very similar style, as indeed do a lot of teams. Indeed, if Kilmacud had kept their cool, the goalie in particular, they'd have kept possession better and be AI champions this morning.

There is a bigger question of course, about the rules and how to counter this style, which is hard on the eyes. The GAA is slow to react to coaching trends, which tend in the main to be negative, and this passive possession tactic is difficult to mitigate against. A shot clock is one idea, but how do you implement that in a junior c game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

All teams must keep a minimum of 2 players in the opposition half when not in possession of the ball - failure to do so is an automatic 45 conceeded - might be worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

That statement isn't true. This is a gaa forum but I can assure you nobody alive today will see Ireland winning a World Cup in Rugby. They need to get past a QF in a world Cup first before we dare to dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Treble double

I acknowledged Crokes as being conservative. I don't think tinkering with the rules is needed. I believe coaching is poor and and conservative in general in the GAA.

Kilcoo have a lot of small light players who can run around for ever. It is laughable watching teams with physically bigger men falling into the trap of playing them at a their own game.

A good kicking game from a physically bigger team would cause them all sorts of problems. The Barrs caused them problems with a more direct approach but their skill levels weren't high enough to really put them away.

It is easier to coach mass defending and keep ball through handpassing than it is to perfect a kicking game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The St Brigid's weekend has potential but not the Monday when there is as likely to be a 6 County club in the football as not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Quitelife

It is easier to coach mass defending and keep ball through handpassing than it is to perfect a kicking game.

That Comment sums up Gaelic Footballs plight -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They won't be in this spot going forward as they will be wrapped up same year as the rest of the club championship I believe.

Next year's final is in January but I think the plan is to condense it back further in later years.

Advertisement