Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems after Computer Updates

• 09-11-2021 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems and could advice on any solutions.

I got a new laptop and a few weeks ago and synced up with chrome and all my favorites from my old computer appeared.

I bought a game on Steam and this was going fine.

I then had a computer update that I installed and when I went logged on it was like I never used the computer before all the apps were gone and I had to log into chrome again and all history of the steam game was gone.

I thought it might be a once off but I installed another update and the same happened again.

After this update I can't see anything on the task bar or even the start button, I need to use ctrl alt delete to power off the computer.

Also I need to flick between two excel files but I can't because I can't see them on the task bar.

I have tried to look in the settings but I am getting an error when I just try to open the settings.

I never had these issues before and its driving me crazy as it is impossible to do anything.

Has anybody seen anything like this and was able to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Did update went in without issues, was laptop on mains power and didnt run flat battery during update?

Laptop make/model?

Could be install coruption - see into repair options

Windows Key + X ->> to bring up the context menu

Windows Key + I ->> to bring up the settings menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It is an ASUS laptop.

It is behaving very strange, for example I logged on earlier and the taskbar was working and I copied some files from a USB stick.

I shut down and turned it on now, the taskbar disappeared, the files are gone and Chrome is asking me to sign in like I am using the laptop for the first time.

I have never seen anything like this before, not sure if it's a laptop issue or something else.

It seems like everytime I turned on the laptop everything I done previously disappears.

Go to C:\Users\ , if you see any TEMP.000 folders you might have profile corruption - every time you sign in it will be ALL new and dont store/save/create anything new - everything will be gone once you shutdown/sign out

Your profile would be stuck to state it was working OK last - all files should be there but you cant add new or change settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

That helped thank you

Was it profile corruption? You manage to recover your profile? Great!

• Advertisement
Advertisement