Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting 2 wire amp output to 4 terminals on speaker..

Options
  • 09-11-2021 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Without getting too deeply into pros and cons of biwiring speakers with 4 wires from amp/ Amps,

If connecting two wires out of amp too say the woofer pair,do you need to short any of the terminals?

Doing this without shorting terminals seems to connect tweeter at the same time.

One input reads a capacitor,the tweeter,and one a short, the woofer.

Am I making any sense? ,think I knew this once and have forgotten the explanation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Yes, usually the "two" binding posts have shorting plates or lengths of cable between both terminals of the same polarity.

Something like this:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81DH2DZ0YBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Top Man,no sign of any shorting posts must have been lost over the years. I'll go ahead and make some up, and try to figure out the circuit diagram later.Thank you.

Interesting that speakers work,maybe not at peak performances, but without using posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Each set of posts probably goes to a subset of speakers, shorting across them powers all. There might be some logic circuit behind the posts that determine what is connected vs what is expected.

Bi amp will have a separate amplifier connection to each (subset) which is when you don't want to short the terminals.

Understand the Bi amp business,thanks,speakers are more than 20 years old,doubt if much logic around then,the person is much happier with sound as positives shorted,and negatives shorted.

The overall setup,which came about when a new Smart TV was purchased,was because of no analogue output any longer,only optical and HDMI.

Seems if I'd gone the HDMI ARC route with the Amp, I could easily have spent ten times the amount, but in this optical case,sorted for £129.

• Advertisement
Advertisement