Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN killing my speeds!!

Options
  • 09-11-2021 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

can any of you WFH folks help me out with a connection issue?

i'm with virgin media fibre bb and hardwired to the modem, the laptop gets over 100mbps, not hardwired gets around 30mbps

but as soon as i connect to the work VPN, it drops to near nothing and makes it quite hard to work!

I've asked IT about it but they keep saying that VM is the issue and not them and checked settings and said everything looks fine

I'm using a TP link hardwired to laptop but again, makes no difference

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

What VPN software is your employer using? There are some known bugs with Sonicwall VPNs. Alternatively, if it’s a full tunnel VPN, your internet speed will be determined by the speed of the office connection and the power of the firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I mean, the problem has to be there end but they keep saying it's not - when i log in at 8am (start work at 930 but log in and get set up early), the speeds are super high on the remote connection to the office - same again after 5pm or at lunch time - but they keep saying its my connection

Just wondering is there ANYTHING i can possibly try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

If the speeds are high in the morning and evenings but slow during the day, then it sounds like it may well be their end.

If your speed even for general browsing slows down, then it sounds like they have the VPN set in tunnel all mode which routes all of your traffic via the office, as opposed to only traffic which you need to access systems based in the office.

If so, and you have everyone who is working remotely routing all of their internet traffic via the office as well, the office internet is most likely maxed out during working hours (but quiet during the mornings and evenings which is why speeds improve for you).

Have a chat with some of your colleagues as chances are they are having the same issues as you if this is the case.

Turns out the issue was internal and something to do with bandwidth capacity! I've not been wfh the last few days as i was on leave so will know later in the week if all is ok now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement