Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability allowance and work

Options
  • 09-11-2021 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi, I am on disability allowance and going for trial as kitchen porter on Friday.

If I get job, my landlord told me I can work up to 32 hours per week without it affecting my disability payment.

But I have seen no mention of that on gov.ie, or on citizens information website.

Is she mistaken?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't take your landlord's word, or indeed the opinion of random people on the internet. Contact your local SW office. If you can work then you are good to go, if you cannot then at least you know. It really isn't all that clear cut that anyone can give you a yes or no answer.

This might also help https://www.mywelfare.ie/BenefitOfWorkDAestimator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Hi Steve, I think it's a maximum of 12 hours per week you can work without affecting your DA but as looksee has said, a call to your SW office will answer that for you. I work with individuals with disablities and one person I support has a job that allows him do 12 hours per week and I think its maxed at 12 hours for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Irish Rail Informer

For Disability Allowance, earnings of up to €140 from work are not taken into account at all in the assessment of means. (The means assessed are your gross earnings less PRSI, any pension contributions and any union dues.

If you earn more than €140 per week from work, half of your earnings between €140 and €350 are not taken into account in the Disability Allowance means test.

All earnings from work over €350 are assessed as income and your entitlement to Disability Allowance will be reduced in line with the appropriate reduced rates of payment for Disability Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

Thank you all. That estimator tells me all I need to know. I would keep a larger portion of disability allowance working 32 hours than 39. Including job, I would be about 17 euro better off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 jayo9

Ive recently got work hours 21 hours a week las 3 weeks i done 1 week 35 hours now my disability allowance is under review

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jayo9

Advertisement