Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who likes landline vintage phones?

Options
  • 10-11-2021 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

There are not too many forums about old wires phones... Is that that noone is interested in them or is there any other reason?

Let me also to invite you for a short video about one vintage phone:

EN Rum go with Narcyz 270 phone repair (landline telephone produced by Telkom RWT)

*** A somewhat surprising repair of the Narcyz 270 (Narcissus 270) wired telephone. At the same time, you can see how such devices looked like inside and learn a bit about how they worked. Do you want to come back to the 80's for a while? Welcome! ***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzEAD7Qcuo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Reason why pay for both. Now you can get Internet without having a landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭itguyinaction

Yeah but I don't mean practical everyday approach. I mean some being collector approach. Different people collect different things. However it looks like that vintage phones are not too popular among collectors...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

My 25 yr old son recently fledged the nest and moved to his new home. I gave him his grandparents first home phone - a 1978 rotary Dial northern Telecom model. As a self confessed tech hoarder, I had kept it myself and on doing a bit of basic rewire to put an RJ11 plug on it, I was amazed to find that modern exchanges can still process break loop dialing and so the phone has a practical use.

He has his broadband incoming on copper pair (FTTC) and so for a pittance payment he also has a landline with unlimited national calls. He uses the phone as a novelty conversation piece for visitors but also to call back home and keep in touch. Sometimes even though you have video internet capability, it is nice to have a nostalgic option. Particularly when it has a strong sense of family history attached - and the old style physical two bell ring still has a quality that no musical ringtone can match.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Have an old phone with the A+B button coinbox.

And an entire phone kiosk, phone book desk, dialling instructions, requires some assembly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I still have the old black A/B phone from my family home, which we had to swap out for the brown/cream updated one.

Nearly everyone who comes into the house says "oh, the phone!!!!" , followed by "does it still work???".

Sadly it's not connected to anything, I wish I could connect it but I presume it's not possible (never actually properly investigated it).

ETA - no idea how to straighten that up!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We have an old 1930s Danish rotary phone that has been updated to work on the modern system. Sound quality is poor and the receiver is heavy, but that's all part of the experience, I guess.

Of course now we've ditched the landline and it's just an ornament in the hall...

If the phone still functions, it is possible to connect it to a line. As my experience has shown, the exchanges are still able to process break loop dialing. I have heard people assume that they don't, but I have checked my phone on three different area exchanges in Dublin, Wicklow and Offaly and they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭itguyinaction

Yeah, impulse dialing is still being accepted by most exchanges.

Moreover I'm so happy I've started the subject which brings so many emotions and memories. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's called Pulse Dialling (as opposed to Tone Dialling).

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have a very old rotary dial phone (probably 1950 bakelite job) but the carbon mike is missing. It was taken out as it was not working but has been lost since.

Where can I get replacement or a circuit for an electret type microphone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Worth noting that pstn phone networks are being switched off in Ireland from September 2023 and the entire network will be voip by 2025.

Old rotary phones (and touch tone ones as well) will need adaption in order to continue working.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I did not know PTSN was being switched off.

I also have an old switchboard that can handle ten extensions and I think two exchange lines. It can handle DTMF and pulse dialling.

Any idea what adapter device will be required?. I have a rotary dial phone that I would like to keep operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

https://www.dialgizmo.com/buy_online.html or similar. Basically pulse dialling still works on most exchanges even though I'm fairly sure Eir would not officially support it in any way, and very very few ATA (analogue to IP adapters) support it. So you will need a pulse to DTMF adapter before an ATA in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SajanZayn

Looking forward to taking a trip down memory lane with your video.

That's an interesting yoke alright, thanks. The rotary pulse dial phone I have is still working and I have checked it in various locations around the country. The pulse to tone converter would be a good way of keeping it operating when pstn is finally closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Had to buy a new phone a couple of years back and found this one in Argos!

Advertisement