Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican orange blossom

Options
  • 10-11-2021 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

anyone successfully growing this in Ireland?

Also anyone know any stockists?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Choisia ternata grows well in Ireland, and is widely available. It is sometimes called Mock Orange, and there is a Philadelphus called Mock Orange which might create some confusion. Choisia is perfumed, Philadelphus not so much.

The selection of plants available at the moment is somewhat limited, and a local garden centre may have it even though it is not on their website. Johnstown Garden Centre have a huge range of plants, but their website is hopeless.

Edit, Future Forests have it in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

I think it might be the other way round. My philadelphus is definitely scented, the choisia might be too, but more subtle I think.

The choisia is doing well even though I was clueless when I planted it and it is in a spot that is arguably too shady. Great leaf colour all year round, nice trouble free plant in my garden anyway, doesn't even seem to need pruning. Must be there 10y now and it's a 3 footish shrub.

Seems readily available? I've often noticed it in GC. I think I've seen it in Ratoath Garden Cetnre and Newlands Cross Garden Centre (both around Dublin). Agree it would often not be listed on a website but a lot of GCs I think would have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

thanks for the helpful replies! I look forward to enjoying the lovely scents next May!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm not a great gardener myself but I planted a Mexican Orange Blossom shrub many years ago mainly because my gardening book (The Tree & Shrub Expert by Hessayon) said it was an obedient shrub! I discovered this was true. The perfume was lovely. Unfortunately it came down last year in a storm but I will be replacing it with another this year.

Advertisement