Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to the office - desk location

Options
  • 10-11-2021 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I work in an admin section of the office where there are 4 desks together, because of covid 2 desks are spares (one person has moved to another section of the office) and it means only one other person could be there at the same time.

I'm finding it extremely isolating in the office because for the last 2 days, I'm sat on my own. I thought the point of returning to the office was for the interaction. The receptionist is there but there's a divide between us. No-one would even know I'm there unless they walked around that divide.

At this point, I'm not sure there's even a point coming to the office. There's probably nothing I can do to change this other than look for work elsewhere and not sure it's a valid enough reason to move on (when I like the work)

Just to also note that I did ask my manager if I could move to the other end of the office and was turned down because of a lack of desks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm struggling to see the problem here. Most people would complain about there being too many in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Some people like human interaction. Its right there in the OP, "extremely isolating".

Even in the world of covid theatre surely we still understand that humans like talking to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

I suppose it depends on the individual. Is there a canteen or water cooler to chat around, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Our desks had big screens fitted. So people can work opposite each other.

We are still wfh. But a few have been back in the office just a day or so for specific things.

On the days I was there I felt the same. So few people in, hardly talked to anyone. Didn't see the point tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you find working at home less isolating?

• Advertisement

Our Covid Protocols in the office don't allow this anymore. The canteen isn't fully open as there aren't enough in to make it viable.

I've a busy house.

But I get it not that simple for everyone. Some people are very isolated at home. But even with me, with a busy home life, its a different type of interaction than you would normally get at work. Though I would say I've worked in more social places than my current work place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

In some ways I feel that a return to the office as things stand could feel more isolated than WFH. The reason being that I think people semi forget that only a proportion of people are allowed into the office at any one time, social distancing and masks still apply, and canteens are either closed or take out only.

I’m a fan of WFH anyway, but I think I’d find it very strange and a bit lonely to be in a mostly empty office. And also completely pointless - if I were to go into the office, I’d still spend 1/3 to 1/2 my day with my headset on, on calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

To me, I find being in the workplace more isolating as at least if I'm at home, I'm free to walk around the house at will and speak to Family members & my issue is I can do the same job from home so why would I pay money to get public transport, get on a busy bus and then have to sit at a desk where no one can see me, I've no one to interact with unless I happen to see them for a few minutes in the kitchen. Other than that, I'm more or less alone for the entire time and I'm finding that extremely difficult.

I've raised the issue with my Manager and they've offered me a desk on the main floor (only if somebody doesn't come in but if they do, I'm back at my old desk), my worry is long term, the other person that sits in my area told me that as part of her contract, She's under no obligation to go to the office and can work from home all the time so I could be there in that area alone permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

That would completely frustrate me OP - for exactly the same reasons as you’ve said. Will they not just let you WFH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭thefa

If social interactions are the main issue, I think you may need to put in more effort trying to make them happen in the current circumstances rather than just having to be located in clear sight of coworkers. Ask somebody in the office for a walk or to have break/lunch together as I doubt you are the only person who would enjoy it. Also, find an excuse to talk to the receptionist for a few minutes too.

Also, I wouldn’t be assuming any setup is permanent as we’ve seen over the last while or that people working from home are getting all the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

I would also find that frustrating. I’ve a similar situation where we are being forced back to the office some days but most of the usual social outlets like the canteen are closed.

There has been a lot of talk about coming into the office for meetings and collaboration and otherwise working from home as the future, but not all senior managers have got the memo unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You’ll want to change your job because there isn’t enough interaction ?

how are your colleagues on this ? A lot of people in these times are quite comfortable without interaction. Maybe get everybody if they haven’t got it to download Skype for Business, I used it in its previous incarnation as Microsoft Lync...

Its really all MS Teams this days, which is vastly superior anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

This is really the opposite to what I was expecting!

But I understand, you are feeling a bit lonely and not enjoying the current setup.

Can you talk to a manager about it?

I guess you can be grateful this is the problem you have. It could be a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i live alone so havent missed a day from the office since all of this started, there is only a few of us here in the office but it does help my sanity seeing other people so i understand op, can you not go up for a chat on lunch with a mask on and keep a bit of distance ?

Advertisement