Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Winter

Options
  • 10-11-2021 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

When should you generally stop cutting grass from ? I last cut my lawn 2/3 weeks ago and it looks to have almost stopped growing. I am considering giving it one more clean up on the highest setting for the winter. Should i pack away the lawnmower for the few months after that or just leave well alone for now as it is. When should we start cutting again after the winter ? should the grass just be left alone for a few months now ??

This is my first year with a new house and lawn so maybe stupid questions but

Comments

I suppose it depends on how much of your time you want to invest in your lawn. There's a rake of lawn care channels on youtube that can be addictive who have all those answers, Premier lawns is an Irish based one for all your lawn nerd needs. I think it is just about keeping and maintaining it to a certain height (2-3 inches?) for best health and once dormancy kicks in it should be fine then til Spring. I did the same myself last week and gave it a quick run over and hopefully that's the last mow of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Last 8 weeks have been the best of the year for growing grass.

It's still coming up.

This is not typical, not unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,842 ✭✭✭billyhead

I gave my parents garden a mow last weekend. My gardens all paved so less maintenance. That will be it until the spring.

It has been milder than usual and grass only takes a week or so to germinate but takes three or four weeks to establish itself, so generally it wouldn't be ideal to seed a lawn in November as while it might germinate, the conditions are too variable to sustain a healthy growing season. We had swathes of rain where I am over a week or so ago which would have washed a lot of seed away and some places have experienced first frosts which can cause patches of damage in new growth. Even with three or four weeks of growth a sharp cold snap can kill it all off and what seed hasn't germinated just becomes fodder for the birds. The regular mowing in Spring strengthens grass roots and you can't do that in winter as much so there's a better chance for a healthier stronger lawn with more consistency and rising temperatures in Spring.

(I'm just going to pretend someone asked about seeding a lawn in this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

Grass is relentless, once the temperature is over 5-6º it grows. I trimmed mine last week and reckon that I'll do it every 4 weeks or so, on the highest setting, until it really gets going again in March. If it gets really cold it won't be necessary, but if it stays mild I'll have to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Still plenty of growth there, mowed mine last week and strummed the borders and there has been significant growth since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

gave it a chop over the weekend, was 90% leaves, cleaned up the mover now for the winter,

Advertisement