Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level of Jurisdiction

Options
  • 10-11-2021 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

When does a criminal investigation enter in the courts levels of jurisdiction - the District Court?

When an investigation begins? When a search warrant is issued? When you are charged? Your first appearance?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would think when/if the DPP decides to prosecute the case.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 78,366 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I get the impression that the vast majority of cases start in the District Court that covers the place of the offence. However, some search warrants can be issued by other parties (Garda superintendents, peace commissioners).

With some serious cases, if a charge is brought at a weekend, it will be whatever adjacent District Court is available will be used.

Depending on severity, the District Court judge will then whether to accept or refuse (send to Circuit Court) jurisdiction. The case then proceeds in the relevant court.

I don't know how cases end up in the Central Criminal Court or Special Criminal Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

very serious crimes such as murder, rape, etc end up in the Central Criminal Court. Cases related to terrorism or organised crime end up in the Special Criminal Court.

Advertisement