Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home secure Alarm

Options
  • 02-11-2021 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I am in the process of moving into a house that has a Home secure alarm. I want this removed altogether and would rather get an alarm unmonitored. Is removing and disconnecting the alarm easy or will this trigger an alarm? Or can you use the Home secure alarm unmonitored?

Post edited by KoolKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ring home secure and ask. Beware only a serviced alarm will be approved for a reduction on house insurance and if alarm is not set then you have no contents cover. I recommend telling insurer you dont have an alarm as then contents are covered 24/7 if there is a forced entry.

In order to get Gardai to respond to an alarm you need 100% proof a burglar is present which is why most modern alarms include a remotely monitored internal camera system that takes photos or video when triggered. Gardai will also respond ig someone sees something suspicious, but it may be hours before they respond to a normal intruder activation. Panic buttons are given highest priority if it's not doughnut time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved from Information Security.

Most Phonewatch systems are tied to them. In some cases they are rental agreements and it is not your equipment to take or move. Heck with your provider. I would advise moving away from these locked down systems to a more traditional provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Depending on the alarm system installed you may be able to self monitor the alarm.

Do you know the system installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

The alarm system is Homesecure left by previous owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If its the ajax alarm, you are in business. They are a fantastic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Most phonewatch systems are not tied to the customer it’s a year rental agreement and if you move they will provide you with a new system and leave the system you paid for at your previous

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you read the contracts you are not paying for the system, its not yours. Your renting the system and what you pay is an installation fee.

I did say your renting it ,but also they will give you a new system if you move and the other alarm companies out there charge you for a service which is required for a monitored alarm ,and also other company’s charge you for parts so phonewatch makes more sense long term because you don’t incur the costs associated with other alarms companies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The reason these other companies charge for the parts is because, you own the system that is installed in your property.

Therefore once you pay for the part it becomes your possession just like the rest of the system.

If you are happy enough paying out on average at least €10 a week ( that's at least €520 a year and based on what is recognised as an average life span of such systems a term of 10 years then that works out at over € 5,000 ).

Then fair enough, in my book you are best off paying for your system day 1, then paying any monitoring/ notification / app fees periodically.

It will work out a whole lot cheaper in the long run.

Chances are also, you will end up with a much better system that you are not tied to one specific provider for and that you own.

• Advertisement

Well phonewatch alarm is lifetime warranty and unlimited services and a one years contract and the components are made in Ireland ! While the others use cheap Chinese equipment with a no lifetime warranty ,can you see the difference ?and you need a service on an alarm once a year and that has to be paid for on other systems not phonewatch and also other companies will charge ten euro lower monitoring then phonewatch ,so you pay more for a cheap system over ten years

There is nothing on their Website I can see about removing the alarm system or anywhere else online. I will remove it myself and leave it in a box for a while. The alarm was installed by previous owners, the contract is with them, not ourselves.

The components are not made in Ireland 😅

This system id brought in by Sector alarms for use under the P.W. brand.

If you bought the house then the system would be classed as your property.

I took one partly out last week and P.W. took it away as they are short on parts.

Are you aware of what the meaning of ' lifetime warranty ' ?

Of course it is unlimited services when one is forking out approx € 50 a month, I would expect that at a very minimum.

Can you please tell me where in Ireland that their components are made please ?

Who are these others that use cheap Chinese equipment please ? Just I am in this business now 31 years and I have yet to come across 1 single detector, panel, sounder or anything else related to intruder alarm equipment, that has ' Made in China ' on them. So you might expand on that please.

I will just let you in on a fact, all Intruder Alarm equipment has to comply with a European Standard known as EN50131, that has been in place since 2005 and before that the standard was IS 199 which was set up in 1987, now in my knowledge and indeed my memory, the only things our good Chinese friends were making then were toys.

Phonewatch and all others have to comply with EN 50131.

EN50131, means that every alarm system has to be tested by a licensed company every year.

So you fork out approx € 50 a month to PW, amounting to approx € 600 per annum and you praise them because they do not charge for that service call, great if you are happy with that.

Many other companies provide the exact same service as PW, you should shop around, expand your horizons if you will.

As regards this € 10 less for monitoring, how come I know as a licensed installer that I can connect to 4 different monitoring stations around where i am based and the most expensive of them is € 184 including vat per annum. So my calculations there are slightly different to yours see I come up with € 416 less.

So just to remain factual here, with the likes of Phonewatch and a few others, you pay a cheap installation charge and they charge you a monthly rate for renting their equipment, monitoring same and of course for servicing the system.

With other companies, in general we use the one manufacturer's products, they are based in Dublin, as can be confirmed by my colleagues here their equipment is second to none and is the recognised bench mark for the standard of Intruder Alarm equipment in this country, hence they have a huge market share and no i am afraid it is not cheap Chinese equipment either.I can tell you I am still servicing systems out there that were originally installed in 1998 and those systems are still working away.

I hope that helps your understanding of this industry.

Short on parts, oh dear.

Maybe they should consider using the manufacturer we use 😁

I managed to get through to someone really helpful with Homesecture who has arranged for an engineer to come and remove the system. It took a few goes and calls but glad it is going to be removed professionally and they get their property back.

My understanding of the industry is vast !First of all its not 50 euro a month with phonewatch and your saying and quoting this amount and backing it up with your in the industry,it certainly doesn’t show that ?? Now does it ?? Your just trying to manipulate the conversation topic with lies

Who’s the manufacturer that “yea” use please

• Advertisement

Well if your experience in this industry is in anyway comparable with mine, then i will gladly discuss this industry further with you. Do you work in this industry ?

Also I find it very disappointing that you would drop so low as to label me a liar.

I am not that, obviously your understanding of this industry is not as broad as you like to obviously think.

Where in this country do they manufacture their equipment please ?

Honeywell alarms are not manufactured in Ireland.

If you are claiming they are, please back this up.

The onus of proof is on your good self here.

You mentioned in your earlier post that PW use equipment manufactured in Ireland.

I asked you already where, while Altor pointed out that Honeywell equipment ( which PW use, in case you are unaware of that ) is not manufactured here.

So please let us in on the secret.

Enlighten us with this knowledge, if its a fact, that the components for P.Ws alarm systems are made in Ireland 😅

The components are manufactured here in Honeywell if your wondering how I know then you are obviously a fool not just a liar

• Advertisement

" The components are manufactured here in Honeywell "

Are they really ?

Imagine that Honeywell components made by Honeywell, how original

Now tell us please, you have mentioned twice already that Honeywell Equipment which Sector ( aka Phonewatch ) use is manufactured in Ireland.

Can you please prove what you are claiming?

The remaining points of your post are rather despicable and not at all appropriate so that is as far as I am going with those.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement