If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55" OLED

Options
  • 10-11-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for a new 55" OLED TV, budget is max €1500.

What would you recommend at this price?

Have looked at the LG OLED55C14LB and the Philips 55OLED856.

What would you recommend from the above - the Philips look good but seems to have some poor reviews with software bugs and compatibility with Dolby surround sound? Anything else I should consider?

I have en existing Sonos Beam which will likely connect to new TV.

Smart functionality would be key for me as I mainly use for TV streaming. Very little gaming use.

Delivery to Dublin.

Thanks

Philip

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Phili_g

Both the LG and Philips and fantastic TV's.

The LG will have the more comprehensive smart features. The Android on the Philips still does perform very well though.

The LG 55C14 is currently priced at 1379 Euro delivered and including our VIP 6 year guarantee

There will be no issue in connecting the Sonos ARC to either of these OLED TV's. It will still connect using HDMI ARC.

The Sony OLED the 55A80Ju is also an excellent TV coming in at 1549 Euro delivered.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phili_g

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for reply.

I will take a look at the Sony, not too sure about Google TV as a Smart OS at it seems to be disconnected, may be issues with future app support?

The other feature of interest is the Ambilight which is only on Philips, I'm not sure if this is useful or a gimmick but I guess I will have to check it out in a showroom.

Thanks

Philip

Sorry meant to say Google TV discontinued, at least according to Wiki.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Phili_g.

The old Google TV was an operating system which was discounted in 2014 and replaced with Android TV operating system which is still in operation.

The current Google TV is a streaming service like Netflix, Prime video etc.... and 100% works as we have it running here at the store on the current Sony OLED range.

The Ambi light on the Philips is a nice touch and can make films more immersive but as you say really only on Philips TV

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the advice so far. Of the 3 OLED TVs I'm leaning towards the Sony 55A80JU.

Also considering a Samsung - the Neo QLED QE55QN94A

Slightly different technologies but of the two is there a standout set for you?

From an initial look there might be slightly better sound quality on the Sony - seems like it has a deeper in built speaker?

From a quality of image and smart features perspective what would be your recommendation?

Thanks

Philip

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi phili_g,

Thanks for getting back to us and I hope you don't mind me replying on behalf of Kenny.

The Sony is definitely the best between the two. The OLED panel is a massive step above in terms of picture quality as it has much better colour, contrast and natural brightness. The QLEDs are good but side by side they look a little washed out especially in darker scenes as they still use a conventional backlight. The Sound on the Sony is also better and the smart hub is a bit more extensive and very good if you already use an Android device!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.