Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Covid-19 tests being done on deer here?

Options
  • 10-11-2021 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

SHOULD HUNTERS BE CONCERNED ABOUT DEER WITH COVID-19?

https://www.themeateater.com/conservation/wildlife-management/should-hunters-be-concerned-about-deer-with-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR3cN-igilHGTh-mov5oGvbam8C1bosruf_folNrl_GMJMiYw9ChPB8WxPs

A recent study tested the retropharyngeal lymph node tissue—the same type of tissue commonly used to test for chronic wasting disease—of hundreds of hunter-harvested and road-killed deer in the Hawkeye State. It showed that, between November 21, 2020 and January 10, 2021, more than 80% of sampled deer were infected with the virus..................................................

“Hunters should take precautions when handling harvested deer in the field, particularly tissues of the respiratory tracts such as the lungs, mouth, nasal cavity and windpipe,” Ramsey said. “Whatever risks there may be could be reduced by wearing gloves and a mask and washing your hands after handling a carcass.”

Kuchipudi echoed her sentiments.

“It’s important to note that there is still no evidence of transmission to humans from deer, but given the nature of this respiratory virus, I think it should be recommended that anyone interacting with a dead carcass, when exposure levels could be high, should wear respiratory protections like a mask.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rescueme0007

I haven't seen any deer at any of my local supermarkets, so hard to see how they could become infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

It's not clear in the article how they got it - I doubt very much if the infected deer in Hawkeye State, USA, visited their local supermarket either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The buck would stay still enough to get a swab up it's nose.

Advertisement