Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube cancels public dislike count on videos.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's the same implementation of free speech as in actual real life. I can say what I want, but no-one's obliged to let me use a platform they own in order to do so. It's why you generally can't get on the DJ's mic at a disco and start ranting non-stop about abortion, even if you paid in.

Going back to Youtube, they have every right to remove the public dislike count if they so wish. I just think that it's a decision coming from the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So what do you propose making it illegal for all companies to have any agenda whatsoever? Also your entire position is contradictory and absurd, people pick sides everywhere, everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The internet wasn't supposed to be like this!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

"In 1994, Carmen Hermosillo published a widely influential essay online, "Pandora's Vox: On Community in Cyberspace",[4] and it began to be argued that the use of computer networks had led not to a reduction in hierarchy, but actually a commodification of personality and a complex transfer of power and information to corporations."

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

businesses used to tailor their services to help the public...give the public what they want.

now businesses want the public to tailor their use of their services to suit the business...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Should it be taken into public ownership and controlled democratically by its users, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The kind of creator who would be pleased by the decision to remove dislikes is also the kind of creator who could exercise their ability to disable comments on their videos.

In the past, there was some cause to disable comments, because some sections could be very toxic and argumentative, but they'd usually leave the like ratio up, maybe only because it would look too obvious that they were too scared of any dissenting opinions if they had manually disabled it for that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wonder will YouTube censor the word dislike to *******

a bit like the word fûck is censored here...

Honestly not sure whether that would work. Could be too messy.

I'd just prefer they keep things simple, as they were up until 5 years ago. The ideology really seems to have accelerated in the past 5 years. It's like corporations were desperate to avoid blame for Trump being elected so they bowed down to the SJW crowd demanding demonetizations, censorship, and now this. Sure, they are within their rights legally speaking. I just don't trust the motivation behind it. I believe the decision was made for political reasons.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure making it illegal would work. I just think Youtube is not some family-run newsagents. It's pretty much got a monopoly in the market. It's such a giant internet company, it's almost akin to a public utility at this stage. And I don't think a company that influential should be in the business of censoring information they don't like, then claiming some nonsense that they are doing it for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Orwellian, they want to try and hide the fact that people are downvoting woke garbage and other political crap.

It's pure social engineering.

Why else would they be doing this ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hideo kojima was way ahead the time with death stranding

Most likely a large amount of corporations lobbying tbh. Say it could be as much to do with film companies and anyone else selling a product not wanting down votes displaying.

They're a private company and entitled to do it. And honestly I'm pretty confident in my ability to discern what's ****. This equally benefits any side of the political spectrum if you're viewing down voting to be only way to discern bad quality content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Yeah but it's annoying if your trying to us YouTube for anything useful in terms of non-political non-media stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Disabling comments is as said usually a last resort as it negatively effect the magic "engagement" that ads like so much.

It's been done to a large degree across Youtube. For example, Youtube made the move to disable comments on videos where it was a song and a still of the album art. If you wanted to engage in discussion about the song, you'd have to find a music video version, which not every song has. Some have a workaround where it looks like a still image, but there are probably a few moving pixels at certain points, making comments possible. Overall, if Youtube wants engagement for its advertisers, it was a totally stupid move to disable an extra reason for users to come back to a video. News outlets like BBC and Channel 4 have been doing it more and more on their own videos, but as I have said, I can see the wisdom there.

Netflix also changed their 5 stars to a simple thumbs up or down.

I think the entire review structure is inaccurate and just a way of angry people getting more air time than they deserve.

I mean, Google reviews, you could take 3 stars as more of a negative than a 1 star. Everyone knows 1 stars are just grumpy Karen's, who may not have even been to the place.

Or on YT people giving a thumbs down just because they find that it is not a video theme they want to watch, just to feed the algorithm. The video doesn't deserve a down vote for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,404 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Nobody picks sides more than Mr.Bear. He is even trying to turn this thread into a rant about the New SJWorld Order

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This. I have no doubt this action has corporate motivations behind it, but we're also beginning to understand that exposing everyone to everyone else may not in fact be a great idea.

Very little good has come of providing dislike/downvote/disapprove reactions on the web. On a small scale, in niche communities they work - where everyone is part of a "community" and uses the button as an honest vote.

Exposed to the wider public - people who are not part of the community - it becomes something else. It becomes a way to manipulate opinion, to bully & attack. It's no longer an honest vote. It's a critique, and it's not an honest one. It's a drive by bitch from some curmudgeon, or an attack by someone who hates the way you look or the way you talk or the football team you follow, or what gender you identify as, or the fact that you use the word "identify".

It's given birth to these enclaves of hate. To the widespread use of social media to bully opinions you don't like into silence. Driven people to suicide.

We already know, and have known for years, that angry people are more likely to express an opinion than happy people, even when on balance there are happier than they are angry.

So providing an outlet for that anger to be taken out against other individuals serves no beneficial purpose except to cause a spiral of negativity. Anger feeding anger feeding anger.

The reality is that by default, reviews and upvotes/downvotes should not be active on any platform where people upload independent content. We don't need these to assess the value or popularity of something. Things become popular because people pass it amongst themselves. Views counters are useful as metrics, but every gobshite throwing their vote against it, doesn't actually serve any purpose anything except to give a place for angry people to get a kick in.

If people don't like it, they won't share it. If they do, they will. Therefore things naturally become popular without the need to be "voted" popular. This is how society has worked for millenia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

As long as the comments are allowed you can still screen out the bad videos I think.

Lets hope the comments last, I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's quicker to dislike or like a video. Some videos don't have any comments, but will almost always have a like to dislike ratio. A video might have less than a thousand views, have no comments, but you can look at the like/dislike ratio and immediately discern if the video is worth the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Use an adblocker man. WTF?

Who in their right mind will sit through ads to watch a bloody YouTube video.

As for likes/dislikes...all of that junk should be done away with completely IMHO. All it really ends up doing is creating "sides" in the end.

Perhaps, but by selectively muting "Dislikes", that's a declaration that YouTube doesn't care about the opinions of certain people.

It's a form of censorship.

I don't care.

I don't watch YouTube vids to declare opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Christy42

Comments will last. To begin with more comments push the algorithm for creators. Enough people comment ("dislike" or otherwise on a video) and it will get pushed to a lot more people so it ends up being pretty self defeating.

Obviously it is a private company and can do what they want. It is also not a form of censorship (unless boards is also censoring by not having dislikes here on comments). I disagree with it as a decision but anyway it was done to appease larger companies who were vulnerable to dislike bombs and they are the ones that call the shots with how we have set up the world (again I disagree with this but it is how it is).

I do agree with whoever wants businesses out of politics but I suspect it will be a while before any politician gives up their corporate donations😏.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can't get an AdBlocker on the PlayStation unfortunately. And that's my main source of entertainment. I don't watch them, I back out of the video and select it again. It tried to show me an ad 14 times before playing the video one night. Counted 9 the other night. I will sit there and back out over and over until the actual video plays. If, during the video, an ad plays and it's anything but the 5 second one or the ones you can skip after 5 seconds, well, guess I'm not watching the rest of that video then. Content creators will see this, people giving up on the videos just as an ad started. Badly need a competitor for YT. Plus, I would pay for an ad-free YT, but they want €15 a month. You also get some other crap I've no interest in, so if they release a version that is ad free only with no extra unwanted fluff, and it's only a fiver, I'd be tempted.

Instead of paying for an ad free YouTube, just buy a cheap laptop or a tablet and install and ad blocker on it, then you can HDMI it through the tele if you really want. There's, literally, no YouTube vid worth waiting for through 9 or 14 ads P-M. That's crazy stuff.

Honestly, I haven't seen an ad on YouTube for about 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's all about effort. It takes more effort to change over and boot up a laptop/pc than use the YT app on the PS for the 20 min or so I use it while rolling a smoke. Pure and utter laziness is all. And it only takes a few seconds. X to play video, O to go back, X, O, X, O.... and on, until the video starts playing but I'm now in auto backout mode and I back out of the video. And when I play it again, more ads! Doing myself more harm, but I'm too lazy to fix it.

Advertisement