Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blown up by the generator!

Options
  • 10-11-2021 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Can a generator blow up a laptop?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A generator can potentially destroy anything that is plugged into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Define "blow up".

Laptops are pretty well isolated as far as computers go, they use an external power supply convering into a single DC supply (then further converted within the laptop) and they tend to be more tolerant of "voltage concerns" than other power supplies. That said, I wouldn't be putting my laptop onto a supply from a cheap and cheerful genny which was on Thursday special.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

It was not a cheap generate, it's a petrol generator for operating machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I would be pretty surprised by this because the laptop charger, surely has a box for regulating the voltage before it even hits the laptop. The big box that is on the wire? I dont see how a power surge would hit the laptop rather than run the charger?

I assume you dont have some odd charging set up where the laptop directly converts AC to DC internally? I dont think ive ever seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

Have the answer I needed, blown the adapter . Don't need anymore suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Advertisement