Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Throw enough crap at the wall and hope something sticks enough that a Jury will convict. That’s about the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The judge saw to it that only one decision will be allowed in his court

By applying the law to the trial?

Nobody can predict what juries will do, they can always surprise you. But so far, he’s been pretty by the book and consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They were white people out protesting, rioting and burning things down. Jesus H Christ, does everything have to boil down to the colour of someone's skin.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

He's going to walk not because of the judge, but because anybody who has watched the videos (including jury) will see it was clearly self-defense.

The third guy shot, Gaige Grosskreutz, referenced the Second Amendment and claimed he had a gun for protection. He also made an earlier statement saying the presence of a gun greatly increases the chance of an incident taking place. Therefore, what was he planning to do with his own gun? He admitted that Kyle only shot him after he walked towards Kyle with his gun pointed. Prosecution is finished.

There's barely a case here at all, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

There is a mob chasing him because he was dressed like the right wing nutjob he is and had just shot an unarmed protester and was running around the streets with his gun.

Thanks for sharing the video, it saves me digging to find it. It answers the questions of posters who claimed that the group trying to disarm him couldn't have known about the shooting because he was out of their line of sight. Everyone in the crowd is shouting about it so people would find out quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I wasn't referring to your thoughts. I was referring to "anyone who isn't already completely convinced that Rittenhouse is guilty", as you can see in the post you quoted.

Are you asking me if I think it would be appropriate if this case were ongoing in Ireland if by some circumstances a case very similar to this were happening here? Definitely not, would be my answer. But this case is going on in the US where people are near fanatical about the military and veteran's day is a very big deal. I'd say the same about religious stuff. It has no place here any more, but the US is a different collection of cultures.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It was the whitest political movement in decades.

Your ignorance of the treatment of every aspect of this case compared to what minorities receive is nearly impressive.

Being dressed like a right wing nut job is not grounds to chase and attack anyone. Neither is running around the street with a gun.

Shooting an unarmed protestor similarly is not necessarily grounds to chase and attack someone, this possibility being the operative around which the whole case revolves. There may be an honest belief by the chasers that there is, but that doesn't take away from the shooter's position that he is being attacked.

• Advertisement

The DA stayed the hell away from it.

More than once I've wondered if the ADA is going for a mistrial with prejudice, so that the judge takes the heat for Rittenhouse going free, rather than himself. They know there will be riots either way, and Binger strikes me as ambitious (being a Littlefinger lookalike does not help!).

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Stop making excuses for the judge - no matter how much reverence he or the country has for the military it is completely inappropriate to have the room clap an upcoming witness.

Like everything in the US, it is only the right type of 'religious stuff' that is celebrated. There is another high profile case going on right now and here is a lawyer claiming 'black pastors' shouldn't be allowed to sit with the victim's family.

They chased a guy with a rifle down the street "because he was dressed like the right-wing nutjob he is"? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes... Darwin award stuff. Let him run away and have the police deal with him.

What a sh*tshow, anyway. 17 year with an AR semi-automatic, BLM rioters, looters, Antifa loons... Was never going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Rittenhouse was a fool to be there in the first place. He needed better guidance than whatever libertarian ideology he is on. But that such a clear case of self defence has reached a court is a clear indication of how politically controlled the legal system in the US has become.

I'm not making excuses, I'm explaining my opinion on the situation to you. You are welcome to disagree, but you may immediately stop telling me what I should say, think or type if you are intending to continue interacting with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Looking forward to the salty tears and rage when Kyle is found not guilty. Judge keeping politics out of it and keeping nuetral.Prosecution are a disgrace violating Kyles constitutional rights.

And how did the judge rule on that pastor objection, out of interest?

Recognizing veterans in person is a thing here and isn't going to affect the trial. It is also an officially recognized day by the State of Wisconsin, of which the judge is a official. (Trivia: Wisconsin was the last state to recognize veterans day, in 2018)

Never said any of those things in isolation give right to chase and attack anyone - however he had shot an unarmed man and was dressed in a manner that would lead people to genuinely believe he was a risk to shoot more people and was continuing to run around a street populated with potential victims.

Again, I believe he is going to get off for a similar reason that Zimmerman got off previously - the law is a mess and allows biases to drive jury decisions (especially when the judge gives things an extra nudge).

They chased him because he had just shot another unarmed protester.

Why do people keep leaving that out?

• Advertisement

Come on, how is what you posted not an excuse? Saying something is 'definitely' inappropriate and then going on to twist yourself in knots as to why it isn't in this very narrow situation for this judge is nearly the definition of making excuses.

Don't think he's actually ruled on it ,not going by reported transcript .

Though there was something interesting came up when apparently someone questioned what plundered meant and the definition was to look around but not steal ,

Plundered does not mean looking around and not stealing

It doesn't make a difference what the skin colour was. If white people were protesting and rioting and looting night after night like that, then of course there would be people out wanting to protect innocent businesses from being destroyed.

Judge didn't allow it, said he wasn't excluding people from his courtroom. The judge did preside over only 1 black juror out of 12 after the defense objected to several others due to their race.

I know it is a thing but it is incredibly inappropriate in a court setting and you have no way to know if it will affect the trial (unless you feel like me that it is already sewn up from all the other shenanigans, in addition to the shambles of laws that allow biases to drive decisions)

That’s fine as far as it goes, but their perceptions, no matter how reasonably held they may be, have no bearing on the defendant’s actual (non-perceived) situation. His rights do not disappear because the local crowd came to an understandable, but not necessarily correct, conclusion.

I think back to the Korean shop owners who armed and defended their shops in the LA riots in 1992. Sure, what they did was probably not legally the right thing to do. The police wouldn't have asked them to do it. But at the same time, they arguably saved their own livelihoods from being completely destroyed. It's OK to be intolerant of the intolerant. It's OK to try to defend innocent businesses against violent mobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If he was a radical activist type, the ivy League school, suburban picket fence home and suited daddy and he had shot others the very most of those condemning him now would be lauding him as a hero.

No doubt that is a 2 way Street.

• Advertisement

Agreed and that is where the law becomes a mess.

By that standard if he went into a school and shot a few kids he would then once retreating be legally entitled to continue to shoot anyone who tried to disarm him. It allows the biases of the jury related to a given situation to convict or let walk free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement