Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU question for RTX 3080

Options
  • 11-11-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi all,

I picked up a 49" ultrawide samsung (5120 x 1440 @144hz) last week.

Today, I received my RTX 3080 V2 OC.

I have a Corsair RM 750X modular.

the GPU needs 2 x 8 pin connections.

Can I use any of the 3 slots in green for the GPU?

Red is used by the 8 pin connector for the motherboard.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The red and green should be the same, and can be used equally for both PCI-E devices, and for the CPU power.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Make sure to use 2x separate PCI-Express 8-pin cables for power - don't use 1 cable & split, it won't provide enough power.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

WOW, I have the same question and have been checking youtube for answers. i just got a sammy g9 2020 model and a used rtx 3080 rog strix gaming gpu in white. 2 differences though, the psu is an rm850x and the gpu has 3 x 8pin sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AFAIK you would be best off using 3x 8-pin cables for a 3080 STRIX card, as PCI-e slot (75W) + 2x 8-pin (2x 150W) would be below its maximum power consumption (400-450W).

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Thanks, yeah I definately will use 2 cables, and not a Y split cable setup.

I have 1 x 8 pin to 8 pin.

And a 12 pin split into 2 x 8 pin.

Will this work?

I mean, not the 12 pin side. the 2 x 8 pin side are both male connections. So it would connect correctly.

But is it enough?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The two separate cables should be fine if you use just one end of the Y split cable.

Advertisement