Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Portugal: WC group A match.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Very good performance from a team who now looks to be gelling and getting behind Kenny's philosophy. Couple of criticisms but nothing major,

A) Lack of attacking threat from Ireland. Not a huge amount that can be done about this. Players can give it all the effort in the world, but lack that extra level of skill that Portugal would have around the pitch to really make the most of half chances. That's just a problem with the level of player Ireland is producing rather than anything Kenny can rectify.

B) The amount of passing it around at the back. We get it - Kenny wants more of the ball on the deck, but let's not go nuts. There was one point in the game where one of the Irish players passed it back toward a 3/4s open goal. Luckily it wasn't too fast of a pass that an Irish player couldn't get to it. Passing it around too much like that is just waiting for the opposition to pick off one sloppy kick. There are times to kick it long. Yes, it makes it pretty sure that it will fall to the opposition, but better they get it deep in their own half than just in front of your 18 yard box.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

That went over your head😂 Of course management, punditry etc is not dependent on playing a sport at the highest level.

Infamous RTE caption below.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Both fair points.

A. We're missing that creative midfielder of the Wesso ilk that can get in those pockets of space to be that creative force between the midfield and the attack. Think of what Tadic did against us. That's the missing piece of the jigsaw from what I can see. I would have loved to see a Hoolahan in his prime in this set up, he'd be perfect for it. I think they're hoping someone like Will Smallbone can fill that role but from what I've seen of him I don't think he's that type of midfielder either.

B. I agree, but to give them credit they didn't do anything like that after it happened. It happened against Portugal away and Serbia at home as well. They made the mistake once and realised its ok to put the laces through it every now and again. I would be worried that it will be something that will cost us goals in the future though and I think it will take something like that for it to be stamped out completely. Playing out from the back is vital in this system to create the space in every other area of the park but sometimes the back 5, with Bazunu the biggest culprit, completely overdo it and put themselves under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Duff said during the week that he’s still in contact with Kenny, and that he wouldn’t be a pundit on Ireland games out of respect to him, so that’s not it. Duff’s beef is with the FAI over the video, amongst other things.

It’s almost like Brady is still bitter about the criticism the Trap regime got for the style of football and hates to see someone try to do it differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoyed the match tonight was great to be back in a full stadium

Wasn't many shots if I recall but could of just been where I was seated (East lower). Really thought we got that goal near the end and hugged the poor guy next to me ha

All about Sunday and to potentially save our seeding. Would be a disaster dropping down to 3rd/4th seed as the Euro 2024 qualifiers could cause us quite an issue if that's the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Unless Uefa change their minds seeding for Euro 2024 qualifiers will be determined by the nations league next year. Win our group and we're second seeds and avoid being the worst team in League B and we're third seeds

Edit: the highest ranked team that finishes second in their group will be a second seed too as Germany will already be qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It did alright. I've never seen that clip before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It might just be Brady being Brady with nothing deep behind it.

He was always a bit of a grump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

**** all to do with Ireland but Georgia beat Sweden 2-0 was a bit of a shock

In my lifetime would glady never mind not ever seeing Ireland vs Georgia again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Liam Brady speaks with such bitterness and malice. He shouldn't be a pundit on Irish games if he's unwilling to check his anti-Kenny bias at the door.

He seems to hate that an Irish manager has come in, ripped up the playbook of the past several decades and given the players the freedom to play football. Something he and the rest of the coaching staff he was apart of 10 years ago were incapable/unwilling to do despite having a squad with several times as much quality.

Not once did the man have the balls to criticise Trap no matter how bad things were. He defended him to the death. He is, by far, the worst pundit on Irish TV. There isn't a single unbaised thought in his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

And still Jack got rid of him for daring to play football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The girl who ran onto the pitch got a thousand euros fine. Her parents must be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Probably get 5k for the jersey and tickets for The Late Late toy show so not too bad 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You would wonder if this is at the root of it. If he accepted the fact that an Irish team can play proper football then he would also have to accept that Trapattoni was wrong and that he himself was also wrong to go along with it. Rather than accept that logic he has instead decided to shít all over this team and the manager so that he doesn't have to do any introspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Brady and Dunphy on the Late Late tonight.

I suppose we can expect Dunphy to take the opposite view point and be pro Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can’t believe that there’s a soccer element to the Late Late Show.

Tubridy wouldn’t know what was inside a football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Ah he would, it's much the same as what's in his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

As the old saying goes, he wouldn’t know whether the ball is blown or stuffed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement