Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Improvement Plan for 2 year old

Options
  • 11-11-2021 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, having a little difficulty with our 2 year old, and our childcare provider. We hear they're biting & scratching other kids in the room. Our child attends a small provider, and they seem to be struggling with the situation. We were requested to attend a formal meeting for a child improvement plan. We had some feedback that there was an incident about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but all was well since as far as we knew, so the request came as a surprise honestly speaking. After the last incident we emphasised at home "kind hands" and have read the books with "biting hurts" to try to get the message through.

Our older child attended a larger provider at the same age, and also went through a biting phase, the difference couldn't have been more stark, the provider told us about it, told us what they doing to help, asked us to reinforce the messaging at home, and overall stressed that kids do this sort of thing all the time, and we would work through it together. Our eldest got through that phase, and all was well after.

I do appreciate it's a difficult thing to manage, a 2 year old is a 2 year old at the end of the day, and therefore if the improvement plan doesn't yield results I do wonder what's coming.

Has anyone had a similar experience, what are the obligations of the provider, and parents in this situation, and would you offer any advice before we meet them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

A child improvement plan? What?

do they have a crèche improvement plan? 2 year olds bite. Almost every single child goes through that phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this seems a little OTT

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ehhh....what are the creche doing to resolve this when it happens in there? Seems way OTT to me.

In my experience, not all two-year-olds bite. Having been surrounded by one-, two- and three-year-olds for the past few years, it never occurred with my kids or their playmates to be honest.

Also, do you think children don't need to improve? Already perfect, are they?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Some children bite, some don't. It doesn't make you a better parent if your child doesn't.

A two year old is a baby. They don’t need a child improvement plan, whatever that is. Children are still learning. Babies are babies. They go through phases, move out of them and as they get older they learn what is and isn’t acceptable behaviour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement