Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zavvi.ie VAT issue

• 12-11-2021 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Just want to bring up an issue I am having with Zavvi.ie in particular. Their T&Cs and their customer service have me running around in circles and I am starting to get frustrated by this whole VAT thing.

So I bought this item for 285 euro on Zavvi.ie. Their T&Cs say that "All prices shown on the Website are inclusive of VAT (where applicable) at the current rates and are correct at the time of entering the information onto the system. We reserve the right, however, to change prices at any time without notice to you (save that any changes will not affect orders in respect of which we have sent you a Dispatch Confirmation). If your delivery address is within the United Kingdom, no additional taxes will be charged to you. If your delivery address is outside of the United Kingdom you may be subject to import duties and taxes (including VAT), which are levied once a delivery reaches your destination country."

Now short after I placed the order I received an email from Zavvi with the following update: "Unfortunately, as systems stand, your order may be subject to customs and additional VAT charges when it arrives in your country. We are working as quickly as we can to put measures in place so that future orders will be delivered to EU countries without any extra tax to pay. 

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and if you are charged additional fees, please make sure you keep a copy of your receipt and upload this to our customer service team through your account. 

Once we have proof of payment, we will be able to refund back to the payment method on your order or as credit to your Zavvi international account."

So the website price is inclusive of UK VAT, and so be it, I had to pay 83 euro Irish VAT to DPD to get my parcel released. So now I have paid VAT twice and even paid VAT over the UK VAT amount included in the item price. So I submitted my invoice for the 83 euro to Zavvi and now they tell me they do not refund VAT. Been going over this with them several times now, but I am not getting anywhere so it seems. They keep saying they refund Tax and Duty but not VAT. I say VAT is a TAX, I say their email says they would refund any additional charges. And I say I should not have to pay VAT twice.

Not sure where to take this now. I cannot file a claim with PayPal as DPD just do their job collecting VAT, and the Zavvi order was paid with a One4all gift card.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Poncke

Zavvi do not take care of Irish VAT. I have been charged VAT twice. Once when buying on their website which apparently is UK VAT and then had to pay DPD the Irish VAT to get it released. So paid VAT twice. Zavvi.ie is misleading. As are all their other EU websites, because it is all coming from the UK until they sort out their warehousing.

Post edited by Poncke on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Did you contact them about it? They say on their website that there is no extra charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Poncke

Yeah I did, I am creating a stink about it. Bought something for 285 euro, and got hit with a 83 euro VAT charge. They did send an email upfront that because their systems were not optimised yet, they would reimburse any Duty and Taxes. So when DPD hit me with the VAT, I claimed it back from Zavvi. They then said we reimburse Taxes not VAT. To which I said VAT is a Tax. Anyway, I explained to them that I have now paid VAT twice. UK VAT and Irish VAT and because they reported the total value of 285 euro including VAT to DPD, I have now also paid Irish VAT over the UK VAT value. Its a total mess. If they sell to Irish customers, they need to remove the UK VAT from the item and let me pay the Irish VAT. Thats how Amazon does it.

Advertisement