Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod refusing to accept they are wrong as a result of lazy moderation.

Options
  • 12-11-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,845 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder can this be reviewed.

I was threadbanned and warned thus:

'You have made a claim of a court determining a benefit has accrued'

I asked the mod to point to a post where I made this claim. He couldn't do it I sent him the relevant court ruling on what the 'burden of proof' meant for a defendant, that I was referring to if the Varadkar case went to trial. This had been posted earlier in the thread and I was referring to that. AT NO STAGE did I 'claim' a court had found that Varadkar had received a benefit.

When challenged on that he then changed the charge to one of me trying to circumvent mod warnings., he produced a list of posts that didn't relate to Leo Varadkar at all not to mention some invective about me. The fact is those comments were made in a discussion about the media, and in relation to another poster claiming that the 'end justifies the means'. But it didn't matter what I said, the mod would not listen and cut off anymore discussion.

What I suspect has happened here is a mod has responded to a 'report' (if you read the thread you can see another poster try to turn the post into me claiming Varadkar had been found by a court to have received a benefit) and taken action without properly reading the thread. I.E. lazy moderation. I have a long running issue with the way CA is being moderated. The mod in question uses a stated policy 'of only responding to reports' because he is so overworked etc. which is to my mind a lazy way of moderating and has led to a mistake here.

However, that is not an issue (his workload) we posters can fix or be responsible for, nor should we suffer because of it.

I fully understand that you cannot post that somebody has been found guilty of a criminal offence if they haven't. (I most certainly never 'claimed' that).

The Post I was threadbanned for is #10910 on the 'Leo Varadkar story In The Village Thread'.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Just as a point of advice, you should be aware that the mod you refer to is @Beasty and he is actually a site admin in addition to being a mod for that forum. It is not likely that another site admin will find that he was incorrect. It is also not likely that Beasty will change his mind because, just from observing how admins perform their duties, they tend to put considerable thought into banning users from threads or forums as they know that their decision (as an admin) is final.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,845 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jaysus. How convenient.

Delete the thread then. What's the point anymore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Just to be clear, you wish to discontinue your appeal in this thread? I’m not saying that your appeal will fail, I’m just saying that in my 16+ years on the site, I’ve never seen an admin overrule another admin, or an admin change their mind on a thread or forum ban.

So what is the point of an appeals process? The mod/admin made a claim that is unequivocally wrong. I.E. There is no post where I claimed a benefit was received, it does not exist, hence I should not have received a warning or a threadban.

Leave the thread were it is, I would like to see this 'process' in action.

Mod: I see that another admin @Mickeroo is active so perhaps he could review and get back to you with his findings? All I can do is bring it to his attention but he may be busy with back-end work that admins take care of in addition to the stuff that you see as a user. I’ve tagged him in so let’s see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to clarify for everyone's benefit,

I was acting in my capacity as mod of Current Affairs, not as site Admin

Francie, my decisions as a mod are appealable in the normal way. In this case you were appealing the formal 1 point warning initially. The threadban was a consequence of that.

You are entitled to appeal the warning in the Dispute Resolution forum. If your appeal is successful I will lift the threadban

Mods are not permitted to contribute directly to dispute threads within the Dispute Resolution Forum. They can though discuss their actions with the CMod (or indeed Admin) dealing with any appeal

Rather than move this thread back, and to keep the dispute discussion "clean" of any direct input from me, I am happy for you to commence a new thread in the Dispute Resolution forum. Hopefully A CMod will get to it, but please bear in mind we are currently think on the ground at Mod, CMod and indeed Admin levels

The CMod will normally review the PM conversation between us and I am happy for that to be posted or forwarded to the CMod. However if you wish to present that as part of your case it's important that the full communication is available to the CMod. Hence please do not just select PMs that you feel support your case - there was a lot more to our discussion than the quote you made in the OP

Maybe the reason you are overworked is the convoluted way you deal with stuff. Why don't you simply answer the question I have asked you repeatedly. Did I or did I not make the claim you sanctioned me for? If I did post it up and show me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement