Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ms. Marvel - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I like how her final costume is slowly coming together.

But is she physically there or is it a vision? I know people are bumping into her, but also no-one seems to have noticed the strangely dressed girl. Though they do have bigger things to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This is rivaling No Way Home as one of my favourite Marvel Studios projects since Endgame.

Love the line "How do you know I'm not from Canada?" Iman is indeed from Toronto.

The inclusion of the Hindi writing in the titles and the shift from New Jersey to Karachi for the end credits. A LOT of work went into this and it's paying off.

Genuinely sad there's only two episodes left and even if it falls into the recent 3rd act CGI trap that some other Marvel stuff fell into, I'm willing to forgive this on the basis on what we've seen so far and I can't wait to see what Iman brings to The Marvels next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

So am I the only one thinking that she will end up saving her grandmother in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

She cant have a similar powerset to America Chavez where she can punch into other timelines instead of alternate worlds....That could be problematic or maybe I'm not getting it just yet!

America Chavez can only punch into the multiverse, meaning portals to other worlds or places in the same world. I'm guessing since the knife could be made from the same material as the bangle, when they clashed it caused a chain reaction that caused her to jump back in time

Yeah, I'm wondering if we are falling towards pre destiny paradox territory here.

I stand by my love for this show, but there are a few little continuity things to overlook. Firstly, after pulling the fire alarm, you're telling me that the kitchen staff just ignored it and kept working? Also initially I was sceptical that after all this mention that the family were a bit on the poorer side that they could just get on a plane and fly to Karachi. Though to be fair on that last point emergency travel funds tend to be saved and they were flying budget with no pre booked seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Felt beforehand that this was going to be a chore to watch but it really pulls you in as the cast and approach to the show is so likeable.

Seems like initial numbers were low which isn't at all surprising given that the marketing that seemed very kids focused and an uncool 'foreign looking' teenager as the lead. Wouldn't be surprised if it and she ends up becoming a fan favourite if a similarly good treatment happens in the Marvels movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

4: Oh! That ending!

Liked this one again. The refreshing feels of a new origin story. Plus this one felt like it was able to do more with the budget.

So I'm guessing then that maybe she's travelled back in time.. she might be the one to put stars in the sky.

Red Daggers eh? When I saw Chinese restaurant.. I'd been guessing some link to Shang-Chi

Side note.. I thought it felt really wholesome when Nani called Muneeba Beta 🙂

The two really acted it well too.

She really is. Like even the small bits like her reactions about the Sloth 😀

Nope! Definitely on my radar now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Got to say that I really disliked the opening 2 episodes due to the really childish feel to the show and the graffiti coming alive is just a no-no to me.

However, episodes 3 and 4 have been great imo. I really love getting to see new cultures and cities so enjoying the move to Karachi very much. Hopefully it will continue to grow on from episode 3 and 4.

Respectfully, I think the animation elements to the previous episodes gives the show a unique visual flair that helps it stand out from the other Marvel shows. I'm thinking of Runaways in particular, which was only a mediocre success for Jeff Leob's side of the MCU.

Kamala is by the comics description, a girl with a very active imagination. The animated wall murals as she discusses her cosplay ideas with Bruno is meant to represent that.

They appear to have scaled back the day dreaming element from what it looked like we were going to get from the trailer. Looking back on it, there wasn't a scene of Kamala sitting at her desk with a projector creating a light show in the classroom, Zoe didn't sneer at Kamala's t-shirt, instead gave her an awkward compliment about her necklace, nor did she get her name wrong, that was a teacher instead who was quickly corrected at the start of episode 2, showing Kamala's new confidence. And finally the scene where she walks away from Bruno whispering "I'm a Superhero" also seems to have been cut. So it would appear they were still editing it together right up to release time.

• Advertisement

So I was correct in what Kamala ends up doing in the past but overall I found the episode kind of Meh. Season Finale next week and I'm guessing she will end up going up against Damage Control and probably Kamran when he finds out what happened to his Mother. Hopefully she at least has the costume from the start and it's not something that happens in the last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mehwish Hayat is a stunning looking woman.

They've been slowly adding elements of the costume so I'd say it will be no earlier than halfway through the finale.

Yeah, I was thinking "Is it wrong to find a Great Grandmother attractive?" 😀

When the credits rolled I thought "wait, is that it?"

Where I said last week that they crammed a lot of action and plot into last week without it feeling rushed. This week it felt rushed. Tied up the portal story really quickly, the acceptance of the mother as to who her daughter was, the stars plot (knew it would be wibbly wobbly timey wimey)

So yeah weakest of the season, fingers crossed the finalé doesn't fall off a cliff.

5: Huh.. well that was an ending 😲

Not so much about the Kamran having powers but the drone blowing up the shop.

Earlier the resolution of the time travel felt a bit lacklustre but I reckon they blew their budget. Nothing giving it away so much as Kamala chasing after the red daggers dude and her powers being done by sound effects and facial reactions! 😁

Aishas background story was.. done ok.. definitely the setting and look and feel but felt like they had to economise to squeeze something simple out. Camera and lighting crew did some good work with Najma though to make her look a bit dark and ominous maybe to say.. Jinn her up a bit

There was one other thing I wanted to mention. When the Clandestine touched the portal, the way they were enveloped in a stone like substance looked a lot like the teregenisis from Agents Of SHIELD, which is a call back to Inhumans.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

as I keep saying 8 eps would be better then 6

what do the clandestines want?

why could they not get home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really enjoyable again this week, but would agree it felt a tiny bit rushed. I like the fact it is different to any other superhero show, the family stuff is really well done, you can tell it is made with love.

The drone attack thing is it going to introduce the inventor? I think that was first main villain in the books. Not sure how they will do that villain on screen tbh....

Didn't they say that they were exiled? They want to go home and normally being exiled means it isnt made easy for you.

Agree that 8 episodes of this would be better given the quality and ideally they'd decide on a case by case basis but can see why they're being consistent with 6. Already people complain about 'filler' in most of the MCU shows at 6 so it is easier to write and plan with a consistent tight 6 in mind rather than going back and forth from series to series and potentially deciding to change number halfway through shoots and making it a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

but anyone who talks about filler episodes in a 6 episode season is an idiot so thats not a good reason not to do 8. Filler episodes is from the era of 22+ eps a year not 6 8 10 or 13.

Post edited by pjcb on

That was a class series and they just did it!

Mutation in the MCU Mutants are offically here!

Midcredit stinger.

Yeah X-Men theme included.

Did think it seemed like they found out between episodes 5 and 6 that they were only getting 6 episodes from how they quickly gave her the costume and got everyone to the school.

Was trying to figure out what scenes the warning was for, then realised it was the whole school shooting part.

I can honestly say this was not the show i expected mutants to be introduced into the mcu but delighted they are here now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This was a fun series and an extremely unexpected twist at the end when Bruno and Kamala were talking.

Wouldn't mind a series two.

I enjoyed that a lot. That has actually made up for the disappointment of Thor.

• Advertisement

The thread title is your warning you are posting on boards 10 years and you have never read the television charter i take it when spoilers on in the thread title you enter at your own risk as posters will be discussing without spoiler tags the episodes that just aired

I didn't even know the episode was out for this week, never mind, point made

Post edited by gmisk on

I felt so bad when I saw the Uvalde school shooting surveillance video earlier today.

This episode had me feeling pretty down.

Episode 6:

The writers couldn't have known. In fact, the fact that the local law enforcement did the right thing here could be construed as a bit of hope.

I get where you're coming from, to take a break from wall to wall coverage of the recent Roe V Wade turnover I decided to watch a Sci fi show called The Orville, that show started out as a lighter hearted Star Trek but has gone darker recently. They showed straight out an alien species couple getting a holographic projection of their aborted child asking why they were killed. There was no way show creator Seth MacFarland would have known that big news item would happen the day after the episode was released.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing the mid credit scene with Carol confirms what I thought the bangle was, with it actually being one half of the Nega Bands and Carol and Kamala switch places some time during The Marvels film since she will be showing up in it

Absolutely cracking final episode of the series.

Probably the strongest of what has been a really solid little series (I could have done with more!).

Yet again you can tell the love and attention that has gone into it and it makes all the difference,

It also as usual looked fantastic and had excellent music choices. It has a warmth to it, if you know what I mean?

CGI was solid (there was lots of it in that ep!) and used well.

Acting in the series was excellent, bar the guy who played Kamran, seriously wooden. Iman Vellani was a revelation, lovely chemistry with the family and friends.

I would definitely watch a season 2.

The scenes in the school were really fun.

Could have done with a few less slow mos though!

Mention of mutations...and a little few bar of the X-Men TV show theme tune In the background yes!!

Post credit, brilliant now there is a cameo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Last episode really saved it... I wasn't as in to it as other marvel Disney plus shows but this ep and the red dagger ep stood out for me

The xmen theme subtly placed in there was epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Really enjoyed the finale. Loved how Kamala came into her powers, and will be interesting to see if they expand any further in the future.

One thing that bugged me a bit was how quickly the mum changed. She went from not wanting Kamala to go to AvengersCon ("a party") and get into trouble etc, to being all happy out that her daughter is jumping around New Jersey like the new Spiderman, fighting DoDC and other baddies, to the point that she hands her her (very cool) costume. Granted they bonded and connected a bit when they were in Pakistan, but she was just very suddenly very cool with everything, especially considering what happened at the wedding.

It was like the mum and dad swapped places in the final episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kamala has shapeshifting powers in the comics, and while stuff is different in the show the way "Carol" looks at her own body and runs out makes me think it's still meant to be Kamala.

When she first got her powers in the comics she did shape shift into Carol but with her powers being hard light, I don't think she has shape shifting here too. Also when we got the flashback to when they found the bangle it was attached to a blue hand meaning it could have been a Kree. Them switching places also makes sense in a way to introduce Ms Marvel to The Marvels if they ended up switching places while Carol was in the middle of a battle and Kamala ends up stranded on an Alien planet and Carol has to save her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

(Ms Marvel spoilers and Wandavision spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched it yet).

Re the "mutation" reveal, I wonder if The Blip (still hate that name, by the way), will turn out to have been the cause of these mutations, in the same

way that Wanda's disruption in Westview caused a change in Monica's DNA giving her her powers, could the effect of being wiped out and brought back be the catalyst for some mutations?

I'd hoped they were going to go that route as a way to introduce them, I think they left the door open for it with some of the dialogue where they said something along the lines of it was the biggest energy event in history and then it happened a second time with the reversal.

After MoM I feared it was going to be a pure multiverse play as an introduction - now I'd say we're most likely going to get a bit of both.

Thinking similarly as Carol also looked far more weirded out by the room than her body.

Between the bangle being attached to the Kree hand, Carol wearing her own type of bangle in the bedroom, and the link between Shang-Chi rings symbol and Carol being brought in to give her opinion on the rings in the post credit scene it looks like Kree/alien tech is going to play a big part in The Marvels.

• Advertisement

Really ended up loving this show but I'm not quite sure why. Probably down to a mix of:

• very low expectations beforehand
    • lovable cast
    • unique and fun approach to visuals
    • great job dealing with cultural/historical/religious elements
    • a long time since we've seen a true teenager origin story
    • well tied into the wider MCU but while standing on its own

I'd say it sits second on the MCU shows for me, just behind Wandavision

Iman vellani is amazing and i think she would steal every scene up against the main mcu players when we get the next big team up

I don't think there was a dud performance among any of the cast, they all played their parts brilliantly.

If I had to do the cliché of "describe the show in one word" the word I think I would use is vibrant. The whole look and feel of the show was bright and colourful. I feel they could have done a bit more of the animation pieces, it was heavily done in the first episode, scaled back in episodes 2 and 3 and absent in 4 and 5 before returning in 6. It was a useful visual to see how Kamala was thinking at times.

A fair chunk of what we saw in the trailer ended up on the cutting room floor. Not least of all Zoe's Mean Girl snark at Kamala's name and avengers shirt. Seems like there was a very late rewrite on her character which meant her turn up at the school felt a bit random, but to be honest once she was incorporated into the plan it got forgotten about quite quickly.

Post credit scene I think is an out of context scene lifted straight out of The Marvels, like the scene from Thor Ragnorok placed at the end of Doctor Strange 1. Hope this is followed up with Carol (Yes that's who I think it is) meeting the parents.

All in all a great show, I'd rate it a 9/10 easily my favourite Marvel release of 2022 and one of the best series on Disney+ since it launched.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Right after the episode, I turned to my husband said that I'm far more interested now in Ms Marvel than Captain Marvel and I'll want Ms. Marvel to dominate 'The Marvels'. Her performance was probably the most charming of any from the MCU verse - brilliant casting.

Oh and the show runner has already answered the question as to whether that's Carol at the end or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Great finale to the show led by a great lead actor - so so likeable

I know SDCC is coming soon and there'll be another Disney event in September, but I kind of hope Marvel Studios hold off confirmation as to whether or not this gets a season 2 until after The Marvels comes out. It's massively unlikely they would do anything to Kamala that means she won't return to Jersey at the end of the movie but I would rather not have that "She'll be OK" information watching the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Sparko

Really enjoyed this, very likeable lead and the rest of the cast also enjoyable. I was pretty tepid about the next Captain Marvel movie but feeling better about it now knowing Ms Marvel will feature.

Noticed a scene in the finale with the Statue of Liberty visible, back to its usual green colour. So either set a bit before the latest Spider-Man movie or just missed in editing.

Well, there is a bit of fun interaction with Captain America (The post FATWS version) on a Disney cruise ship.

I think this is meant to be post No Way Home so the "New and Improved" statue as Yelena put it has been reset. Also, the effects team had better things to be spending their money on then putting a Captain America shield on The Green Goddess.

Post edited by flazio on

• Advertisement

Marvel Assembled, The Making of Ms. Marvel is streaming on Disney plus if anyone wants to watch a behind the scenes documentary.

Advertisement