Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon Knight - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Really?

Rise of Skywalker, Force Awakens, Last Jedi and taking while episodes of Book of Boba Fett and using them for a different series?

Would love to know what Marvel have done so wrong that you Star Wars is “knocking it out of the park” by comparison.

It wasn’t implied. They showed us the mental and emotional abuse that Spector suffered. They just didn’t show us the physical abuse.

The emotional abuse that the mother dishes out and knowing she moves to violence is more than enough to see. I have my doubts that my nephew should watch this and told my sister see needs to check it out first.

I had seen those comments too and took it to mean that every fight in the show was going to like when Walker murders the guy with his shield in the Falcon series.

I’m wondering if Feige was quoted incorrectly or did they edit the show after he did that interview because he does specifically mention Moon Knight brutally beating a guy.

Doesn’t Harrow’s feet bleed in the Asylum before Marc/Steven wake up in the water?

Khonshu doesn’t release them until after the defeat of Harrow and Ammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They mentioned the astral and ancestral plane which ties it into a few movies.

It isn't a bad thing for it to stand alone. There is also a likelihood that the overlap characters for Moon Knight haven't been built out yet. Seeing Kit Harington walking around London doesn't add much.

• Advertisement

As I said I didn’t mean crossovers - that would be bad because the heroes have to establish themselves and having an Avenger show up in the middle of a fight to save the them would be terrible. This is the mistake made in Book of Boba Fett. Same with Ms. Marvel - since this is another character new to the screen she should be allowed to stand and trip up on her own without an Avenger dropping to help her out. Not even for guidance. Crossovers can come with season 2.

However the Snap is just too big a deal to not even get a mention. There isn’t even “Thanos Was Right” graffiti.

It wasn’t detrimental to the show. It just left feeling unconnected.

@Spon Farmer will tell you all you need to know about the character.

Do we know that this was set after the snap?

Can't remember if there was a year/date title card

No mention of a time setting which is why I didn’t think it could be anything but “present day” as the rest of Phase Four is except for Black Widow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

I guess it's just me rather than the show being objectively bad but I found this really weak and a struggle to get through.

I haven't watched Hawkeye yet, but while I very much liked Wandavision, I thought Falcon and Winter Soldier was terrible and Loki just OK. I don't know what it is, because I genuinely like the MCU, but the shows just do not grab me at all in the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It takes place after Hawkeye in the MCU Timeline according to most places that look at these things

One of the producers/ writers said this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I said recently, Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett were great. Everything after Endgame has been fairly poor by Marvel Disney, judging by your comments on here you're a megafan and maybe that's why you can't see it.

Also I think the Marvel Disney series would really benefit by being 10- 12 episodes, we would have great character development if they were like that.

I had a quick Google for the reasons for people saying it takes place after Hawkeye all I can find is that it is because it came out after Hawkeye.

Moon Knight is indeed post-Snap and takes place after the Falcon series.

The fight with the creature that takes place in London - the bus in that scene has a banner for the Global Repatriation Council.

So the fact I like Marvel blinds me to when it is bad but the fact you like Star Wars doesn’t blind you to the complete mess they made of the Boba Fett show?

I like both Marvel and Star Wars. I’m not blind to anything.

The Star Wars sequels are terrible and Book of Boba Fett was very badly put together (great stuff in there but over all a bad mess). This noy opinion. This is fact.

There shouldn’t be a set number of epodes for the shows.

And Moon Knight was mostly character development with some action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To be fair Moon Knight could have been done with being just 3 episodes.

You keep bringing up the Star Wars sequels, I know they were terrible. I also agree that Boba Fett was disorganised but it was still very good. Anyways like i said above maybe Disney Marvel need to add more episodes to their series to develop the characters more. Another thing they need to do is improve the combat in their series, it just leaves me feeling hollow, in Daredevil I felt every single punch and hit. I know they might be limited with the age rating with regards to the action but maybe they should not be greedy assholes for once and up the age rating and try not to appeal to all age groups. Or maybe they could find a way of doing it within the same age rating by being a bit more creative, I don't know. The only thing I know is that it has all gone a bit stale recently.

But I will say I love Oscar Isaac, man is a great actor.

• Advertisement

You Disney Star Wars is knocking it out of the park. I said it isn’t because the majority has been bad. You agree the majority is bad? So how is this out of the park?

Sure up the the target range of Marvel projects so that kids can’t watch. That isn’t greedy at all.

I would love to know what you think would be creative than what marvel is doing.

I said recently with regards to Star Wars. I am referring to Marvel not me being greedy as they make the series fit in to a certain age ranking so they can maximise profits over artístic integrity. Stop being so formulaic and having a template for every series/movie ie the combat, final battle, overuse of effects, only 6 episodes per series. Anyways, I'm out as I've said what I wanted to say about Moon Knight. Have a good evening

I know you were saying Marvel is greedy and I said in response that you are being greedy because you want to up the target range so kids can’t watch these. That is greed.

And making something “adult” doesn’t mean it is more creative. The violence in the Daredevil show isn’t what made it good. That is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,680 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You know that the Boston Red Sox can still knock it out of the park etc. after losing a bad game, or even a bad season, right? They come back next season, and the season after that. Like how marvel is knocking it out of the park with Dr. Strange, Spidersmen, Thor, Moon Knight etc. and might not have, with Black Widow etc.

Konshu can feel your pain about the Sequel Trilogy. Konshu feels all of our pain about the Sequel Trilogy. But you gotta let it go, Konshu isn't going to have anyone killed, least of all Kathleen Kennedy. Mando moved on. Mando carried the Franchise AND Disney+ on his back BOTH. It looked a lot like this actually

Disney felt your pain, my pain, everyone's pain, as if the force suddenly all at once cried in agony. they learned some things, clearly, and we've turned a page since a while ago. and if BOBF is the main irk (it's 4 stars, from me), I refuse to buy in, they didn't produce Mando S1/S2 over Zoom (filming wrapped days before Pandemic declaration in March 2020), they produced BOBF over Zoom. I have mad respect for the work they accomplished during Covid, especially in a germaphobe state like California. Do you remember experiencing feelings of sadness, depression, anxiety, unwellness etc. during Covid or have a loved one die, etc. etc. well... I'm sure that applies to the creative geniuses at Disney, too. Add to that filming on BOBF ran straight on from Mando s2 - from November 2020 to June 2021. Between their day job... Covid... the 2020 Summer of George Floyd... the 2020 Winter of Donald Trump... the January 6 Insurrection.... can any of us cast the first stone for accusing them of not being able to put out their apex quality of work? Gina Carano was a high profile firing but it should evidence for folks how tense, in general, life had gotten in the subsequent time since Mando wrapped and Covid began. Giancarlo Esposito, similarly, had put people on blast publicly for having disagreements about complying with covid safety (on the set of Breaking Bad).

I'm confidently assuming that there were a lot of mental health and Family or Medical Leave days taken by any number of staff, same as any other industry at the time. I'm equally confident people on set had a lot of real-world distractions, and there may have been plenty of disagreement between people on those issues. If a posh campy bike gangster doing a twirl before he takes a shot is the biggest consequence of that on the end product, then so be it. /rant.

The violence in the Daredevil show isn’t what made it good. That is nonsense.

Except it's part of it, the series didn't pull punches.

Moon Knight: great, 4 stars, already ran through it twice, the psych ward scenes are still a bit of a mindfuck but it works (Harrow & Marc on the same astral plane at points?) and I think a season 2 works better for him, than his own movie or being plugged into a bigger one. The CGI didn't look that good on my 1080p PC screen, but when watched on 4K they definitely looked much more believable and less like Adobe effects (particularly his CGI suit). There's still always going to be an uncanny valley to a Hippo Lady and a talking bird skull though. This shot in particular, didn't quite make it across the valley:

Maybe you could edit it down into a movie but it does well the way its structured and I feel like they'd gut too much breathing room to make something like that work. They used the right amount of superpowers I think here, just enough that folks still want more of him right away. I could do with a lot more Mr. Knight myself just clubbing folks (or more banter in the mirror eg. "Psycho Col. Sanders"). The way they transitioned during the fights was thoughtful and cracking, a 3-way choreography with Jake Lockley in the mix will be ... better, I can only assume at this point.

Best Lead Actor: Oscar Isaac

Best Supporting Actor: Oscar Isaac

Everyone did great though, wonderful cast.

Post edited by Overheal on

@Overheal

Why are you posting about people being killed?

Is that the kind of thing you think is funny?

General reference to the ire the internet has expressed toward her. Thanks for ignoring everything else I said though and just deflecting to a response to tone.

People obviously don't want them killed, they have morals. They will however never stop lamenting the Sequel Trilogy, in particular, putting out propaganda to get the likes of Kathleen Kennedy fired from Star Wars altogether (unlikely) my point is everything that needs to be said about the trilogy has been said, we've moved on, and since moving on, Disney+ has crushed it with the straight to streaming content.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Keep it civil. Move the conversation on.

He's a complex character to fit in in an ensemble, but I definitely don't think Moon Knight is strong enough for a stand alone movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I think a better Moon Knight could have gone something like this:

Episode 1: Similar to what it was, all Steven with gaps/blackouts and a hint of Marc/Moon Knight at the end

Episode 2: All Marc, filling in some of the gaps/blackouts from EP1 but still leaving a hint with some gaps/blackouts remaining

Episode 3: Back story to Steven/Marc

Episode 4: Back story of Harrow/old Moon Knight/Ammit, Konshu/Marc/new Moon Knight

Episode 5: Balance the souls sea of sand voyage, cannot balance...introduce Jake and fill in the last gaps/blackouts from EP1 (something so important shouldn't be a mid credits drop). The balancing really bothered me when there were hints of Jake, it comes across as sloppy writing to me.

Episode 6: Full episode of Moon Knight being Moon Knight using all identities to take down Ammit

Drop the unnecessary Kaiju fight, drop Layla (give her her own show or introduce her if a season 2 happens), or at least drop Layla becoming Tawerets avatar, drop Taweret randomly taking over dead bodies, push Mr Night out to season 2 or maybe a post credit scene, lose the other gods meeting.

• Advertisement

Take away the Ennead, and one of the focal points of his backstory? Jake Lockley killed her dad and getting himself nearly killed in the process is how he met Konshu. She is the backstory.

I feel like unless Harrow was a protagonist then we don’t really need his life story, he’s our villain and we know plenty about him just from Marc’s experiences and a few cutaways to him. Ethan Hawke played him well. We really didn’t need a backstory either for Thanos etc they just worked

I don’t think it’s sloppy writing that Marc didn’t let Jake out. He still had little idea where he was. Even if he suspected it was another Alter he and Steven could both guess that alter was darker and more violent than they were already (ep2). It’s really only Marc being judged by the scales anyway. The good of Mark and Steven outweighing the bad of Jake and whoever else. I think if they had resolved the Jake Lockley questions in 6 episodes there would never be a 7th. The way the story unfolds I think is more rewarding, with Konshu “freeing” Marc and Steven but remaining bound with Jake, may make for some interesting deal with the devil shenanigans.

Advertisement