Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone outright or on bill? iPhone for RAW?

• 13-11-2021 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all,

just a quick one for anyone who’s gone through this and knows the process. I’ve tried researching but can’t decide

I’m currently on a bill plan of €45 a month and I have the iPhone XR. The phone is pretty beat up and broken so I need a new one but I’m not due an early upgrade until March.

what I’m wondering is, does it make more sense to continue on with the €45 a month bill or buy a phone outright. Happy to buy outright now and keep paying bill if it’s cheaper in the long run.

seconf question is, which iPhone is the best value for money? I would like to shoot in RAW at times so this would be a featured I’d like to have.

all advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it was me I'd buy it outright and then when March comes switch to a circa sim only €20 a month plan, most networks offer all calls, all data for between €15-€20 a month so you would save €300 a year on current plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

Thank you very much.

I was thinking something similar. Outright would be circa €1,000 but there’d be a saving of say €25 a month plus whatever the upfront fee is for the upgraded phone.

does anyone know which version of the iPhone is best for shooting RAW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It’s cheaper to buy outright with paired with a gomo/48 sim only plan without a doubt. You’ll need to dust off the spreadsheet skills to figure if it’s worth for you.

If you’re shooting Raw, get a Pro model. Don’t skimp on storage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

Perfect.

tbank you very much. I don’t like how large the pro models are but they seem the way to go.

anyone know how an iPhone compares to a dslr in terms of its RAW quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

iPhone 13 is the same size as the iPhone 13 pro.

iPhone's have great RAW quality but they won't be near a capable DSLR in terms of what's captured. It's down to simple physics, an iPhone 13 will fit in your pocket, the €5000, Sony/Canon/Nikon with multiple lenses will cripple your back. It's all about trade offs and what application you're doing.

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/0233313051/dpreview-tv-iphone-13-pro-review-shot-on-the-iphone-13-pro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I buy outright and keep my €7.99 per month sim only plan with 48.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Outright is the only way to go, if you can afford the initial upfront payment!

Even if you're not lucky enough to be on the 10e deal with GoMo, or the 7.99e one on 48, Eir have a plan with unlimited 5g for 15 bucks a month.

You won't get those kind of deals with a subsidised handset from a carrier, and the handsets aren't even subsidised that much anymore considering the price of the plans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭corks finest

Buy outright if u do the legwork you’ll get a good deal- got the 12 pro max last year for e930 locally I’d nearly get that atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭gmacww

I guess it depends is the answer and what your preference is. If you're going on pure price then I've actually looked into it recently.

I did this for a 12 and 13 base model mini. I'm sure it's similarly reflected across the ranges.

NOTE: The base price as stated is from apple.com however you can find cheaper alternatives if you go looking

If I was to go with eir/three/voda etc... i'd be into a 24 month contract so lets factor that into the total cost using my current 12.99 p/m gomo plan.

24 x 12.99 = 311

iphone 12m = 709

iphone 13m = 829

Totals are 12: 1020 and 13: 1140

Now that's our base price so if you were to go on a 24m contract with a carrier and paying their cost for phone (where applicable) it looks like this:

So taking those figures the cheapest option for a 12 or 13 mini is eir essential plan assuming that plans covers you needs which it does in my case.

Now the big factor in these is you're in a contract for 2 years. The beauty of buying outright is you're not in a contract.

Advertisement