Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want a Russian watch

• 13-11-2021 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a Russian watch as something abit different then what I am use to. What are Vostok like? I'd like a USSR made watch. Not sure what I am looking at on ebay. Looks like alot of bad condition 1980s USSR watches. They seem cheap enough. What am I looking for ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Vostok make some interesting watches. If you're looking for something from the USSR start with Poljot24.de Raritäten | Poljot 24 .

This is my Komandirski from the late USSR period when they had sold out to the Americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Watchuseek has a section on russian watches. Thing is, the older ones are cool but because they're cheap, people don't exactly put money into their repair or upkeep. And that's on a fairly roughly made watch in the first place! Etsy has a lot. Ebay is obviously good. Check watchuseek to see if there's specific sellers to look out for. Spend a couple of euros more for a decent seller or you could end up with something that doesn't work in a week.

I have a big zero and a Luch ultra slim (vintage) a raketa big zero (vintage) and a vostok komandirskie (new). Lots of big zeros about with weird looking hands, so check out things like that before you buy. I assume broken ones are ten a penny in russia and people just do the basics to get them running and clean them up which means throw on whatever hands are available.

Interesting thing to browse, there's a lot of terrible looking shít out there! But suppose that's down to the person, i like the big zero, some people hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

This guy has some lovely Russian watches -

https://www.poljot24.de/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Wow ... really liking these russian watches, a piece of history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

+1 for starting your Russian watch collection with Poljot24.de

Julian, the man behind it, is a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.

I would love an original, Soviet Sturmanskie, and a black dial Strela.

The issue is that a lot of them are now franken build with reproduction dials. You'll pay through the nose for something verified as original, €1,000 plus.

One point of note though. The reproduction Strelas now widely available, and from the above, have Sea Gull movements, not Poljot. This is not bad, and I have an ST1903 powered watch in regular use myself, but it isn't Russian

A holy grail for me is the Poljot SS-18, a titanium case Sturmanskie, supposedly made from retired ICBM cases.

If you are going Vostok, I'd recommend looking at the Partner line. Much higher quality than the Amphibias going around at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Konstantin Chaykin is russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I have had a good few vintage Vostoks and for the most part they have been good. They're easy to regulate to a good standard with very basic tools.

They definitely have their quirks like the wobbly crown (by design not a fault) and they often take a while to settle after being manhandled by international postage but I'd definitely recommend picking one up.

Starting out I'd go for a cheaper one and stay away from any of the overpriced ones sold as 'zakaz' - military issue. There's plenty of genuine zakaz out there but there's even more frankens.

What style are you thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Something like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Is it safe to buy from vostok.watch ??

Post edited by mondeo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Hadn't come across them before. The unsecured site would put me off but they do use Paypal.

Meranom is a good site to buy Vostoks from shipping will be slow though.

Advertisement