Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brain cancer stage 2

Options
  • 14-11-2021 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi

My partner has stage 2 brain cancer.

He has completed radiation treatment.

Now chemo has been suggested for 46 weeks, from what I understand it is 3 weeks of chemo 3 weeks rest.

However he is now thinking of not having chemo.

Any advice?

We have 3 children.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is tragic eilis, and I am so sorry for all of you. You must be at your wits end and I can understand why you want advice and other people's thoughts.

I am not sure that we can offer much by the way of advice, it is a very personal decision that is primarily his, supported by you and his medical advisors. Still, if we can offer any sort of support, we will do so. There may be people here who have experienced this kind of situation. Has he been told how helpful or successful the treatment is likely to be? Stage 2 seems relatively early in the illness, and depending on what kind of cancer, his age etc it may be something that he should be actively encouraged to do.

At this stage though it might be better for both of you to talk more to doctors and get informed opinion. He is likely in some shock and depression and professional advice on how to approach it with him might be helpful, that might be something you could talk to your gp about, also no harm to talk to your gp, you will need support as well.

I hope people may be able to offer some support and encouragement for you, I send sympathy and good wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

While Brain cancer offered a grim outlook at stage 2 there’s something to fight for. Maybe talk to your GP about counselling for both of you and encourage him to fight for as much time as possible with his kids

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eilis100

Just a quick update.

DH refused chemo. The meds the oncologist and neurologist had him on had him on had really bad side effects ie he was very aggressive children were afraid of him.

After a lot of difficulty the meds were changed.

The house is now much calmer.

Drs say after the most recent MRI the area where the tumor was removed has not changed.

However they would not say he is remission just that things have not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Glad to hear this; have a brother who was diagnosed last Christmas with no treatment options because of the nature of the tumour (no surgery, radiation or chemo) but who has survived in palliative care since then - he was given 1-3 months.

in March my best friend was diagnosed with a stage 4 tumour and has taken all treatment options continuing to remain (relatively) fully functioning and will hopefully survive for as long as possible.

neither have children so I can only imagine how tough it must be for you. It does sound as if the chemo was having negative effects and I hope that you and your family continue to enjoy your partner’s presence for as long as possible.

Advertisement