Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Stairs(Permanent)

Options
  • 14-11-2021 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of a house build and I've converted the attic. I've a spot picked out for the stairs and I fitted a temporary set for construction.

However due to head height restrictions I'll have to adjust the angle of the stairs meaning that the first step is about 150mm short of the floor below.

Is it unusual to have a first step level with the floor?

Or would it be more normal to extend the floor below. In this case the floor is hollowcore and I'd need to use steel/rebar/concrete to extend.

I'm more curious about the look of a stairs with the first step level with the floor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KMCE

Hello Bullman,

I see you have no response to this query & thought I may be able to assist.

From your description it is a little difficult to visualise the issue. The first step of a stairs is never on the same level as the floor (landing), and the final step, is also onto a landing. What you many need to do is adjust the going and rise dimensions to accommodate the difference in level.

For a private stairs the optimum rise is 175mm with a maximum of 220 mm, this being the vertical dimension between top of steps. The going is the horizontal length of each step with an optimum of 250mm and minimum of 220mm. With these dimensions you should have a stairs between 35 & 42 degrees.

I don't know if this helps, but hopefully will provide some guidance.

Ken

Advertisement