Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden hedge

Options
  • 15-11-2021 9:49am

Any pros be able to give advice on planting a hedge.

I read that beech, hawthorn, or hornbeam are good varieties to plant in Spring. Dig a trench about 2 feet deep and 2 feet from a wall would be a good way to prepare for planting the hedges?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Hawthorn is good for wildlife but it will be a nightmare to maintain. The thorns are vicious.

Good to know. Now that you mention Hawthorn being a nightmare, Hawthorn brings me back to my childhood days, and I do recall many scratches 🤣!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Individual holes, not a trench. 40cm deep is fine. How high is the wall, move further away if very high. Beech.

Thank you. To the point 💪.

Wall is only 4-5 feet in height.

What space would you leave between each beech plant?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

4-5 ft is enough to cause issues with a hedge, which way does it face? Is it in shade all day?

Beech is nice but will eventually make massive stems and roots that could damage a wall (I've seen a wall demolished by a beech hedge, though admittedly well mature). Left to itself it will grow into a big tree, you are constantly pollarding it by clipping, but the stem will still grow into something of a trunk.

Elaeagnus x ebbingei - the plain one (imo) makes a lovely hedge and is sold as being suitable for training against a wall if you wish, or as a hedge. https://futureforests.ie/products/elaeagnus-x-ebbingei

• Advertisement

Thanks for letting me know to rule out beech! Water well is only 10 feet from wall.

The wall is in direct sunlight all day. House is a rural dwelling with the stated wall is only beside a right-facing 6 foot block wall.

Thank you for the article link, I see the article suggests that Elaeagnus x ebbingei  can grow to a Height of 13ft (4m) and Spread of 13ft (4m)😲! Whopper height and width!

Maybe a hedge is not a good idea. Curious to know what people here have planted up against a wall? I want some privacy, but I'd survive with something 4 feet in height but can compact like a hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'd go with hawthorn, I maintain a ~50m hawthorn hedge for my parents and it's not that difficult - I cut it once a year and while you need to be careful, it's not a major job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

We have Euonymus I think its called throughout our estate - they are well-liked here - grow to about 1m and easy to keep square shaped - like you would expect a hedge to look - no thorns.

Like this - although the variety we have is more all green - less yellow at the tips

https://www.ashwoodnurseries.com/shop/euonymus-fortunei-canadale-gold.html

“Roll it back”

Sounds like the almost-deal candidate. If only it were 2 metres for max height!

@MacDanger

The height of hawthorn frightens me, but I know what you mean with yearly trimming can really make a difference. I might warm to hawthorn just yet. Would a regular garden shears do the job or would I need some big guns 🏹?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Could probably go higher - but Garda (neighbourhood watch talk) told us to keep them short for front - as too high is less secure- more useful for burglars to mess with house windows etc. without being seen from roadside, so that's max we let it grow to.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭pairofpears

If you have kids dont go for Hawthorn as that will burst any footballs that end up in there. My brother and parents both have Hawthorn hedges and I know my brother would go for something else now because of the amount of footballs the hedge has burst.

I am going for a beech hedge myself but wont have to worry about the roots undermining walls as I have a wire fence around my site.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thank you for the article link, I see the article suggests that Elaeagnus x ebbingei can grow to a Height of 13ft (4m) and Spread of 13ft (4m)😲! Whopper height and width!

That is only if you just let it grow, most hedges will get massive - a beech tree can grow to over 50ft if you let it go, but you will be expecting to keep it trimmed. 13ft is a very reasonable height for untrimmed hedging. My son has one that is just about 5ft and its a lovely hedge.

We have an old well that was put in about 10ft from a field hedge, and a newer one about 15ft from a much bigger field hedge - mostly hawthorn - and both are fine.

Alternatively you could clad the wall with pyracantha (though it has thorn issues) or cotoneaster. Or you could put up some proper vine wires and grow any number of things that will give you flowers and colour. Roses, honeysuckle, passion flower, actinidia, clematis (put a stone or slab over the roots to keep them cool), solanum just a few possibilities, and once they are established most need little attention beyond a bit of pruning or tidying. Or even espaliered fruit trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Is this a wall at front of house? I have a nice hedge of Lonicera Nitida, I keep it trimmed to about 5' but it would easily grow a bit taller, I trim it neatly but you can let it grow a bit wilder too if you like, easy to trim, nice soft stems and little leaves. I planted it to replace a hedge of pittosporum I lost in snows back whenever. It hasn't widened into the garden that much compared to some other hedges I have, I really like it.

Decent shears would do the job if you do it yearly but if you let it get out of hand, it might need a motorised hedge strimmer

Thank you, all, for the tips and advice.

Keeping the hedge low is good advice. Pesky burglars just love a bit of cover.

I really like the info on Lonicera nitida (thanks, @phormium ). Seems ideal for my needs. I'll have about 40 metres of hedge to maintain, so keeping it cut once a year is key. Some hedged do grow to scary heights.

Wall is at front of house. I guess planting a hedge 2-3 feet from the wall is important? Roots seem to be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

We live on a farm, so there's plenty of hedges to dump them in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

40 metres is a good bit I suppose, my Lonicera hedge is in two parts as I have planted a new bit in last few years, original section is maybe 10 m long, new bit about the same but not as tall, I bought fairly tall plants to start with, might not be an option if buying loads although they do grow and fill out fast. Not a hope I stayed 2/3 ft from wall :) I'd say if they are a foot that's as much as they are, hopefully I don't have trouble in the future with them although it's there a good few years now and no signs of anything.

@TimberTones went out and took a couple of pics, I shape it into wavy pattern cos I like it :) and at the top of the wave it's slightly taller than me so about 51/2 ft plus it's at the back of a narrow flower bed that wasn't there when it was planted so another 6" or so.

Thanks for the pics, @phormium . The wavy pattern is nice. The hedge is well maintained!

Definitely food for thought when sprint arrives. Easy to grow, hardy, and not huge hedge.

Thank you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement