Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Sure Signal support

• 15-11-2021 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Sure Signal devices are still supported on Vodafone? I know Vodafone UK have discontinued them.

I have one here that I need to get the numbers updated on. I've sent a couple of e-mails to ssieprov@vodafone.com but I've received no reply. I'll soon be moving to a new build house with a terrible signal so it would be nice to get this going. I'm on one of the old Red SIM only plans so Wi-Fi calling doesn't work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

If you Google Sure Signal in UK, you will find that there were incidents of them going on fire! I think they may have been recalled by Vodafone UK? Sure Signal is dead technology in any case - WiFi calling is a much better solution - it doesn't need additional hardware, and allows you to provide seamless coverage where you need it. WiFi Calling also should allow you free roaming when you have access to WiFi abroad, although Vodafone block this (Eir allow it). Why would you want to hang on to an old Sim-only plan, when you are not locked into a contract, and there are so many competitive Sim-only plans available? Eir & GoMo both offer full WiFi Calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I wouldn't say that Wi-Fi calling doesn't need additional hardware, the phone itself has to support it. Mine would be OK but I don't know about my wife's because it probably doesn't have the right firmware.

I had two reasons for sticking with my plan, the first being that I'm insulated from the 3% annual price increases that were brought in a while back. The second one being that my plan includes "like home" roaming in the US but the new plans are restricted to 500MB. It's not something I've needed in recent times for obvious reasons but I'm glad to have it when I do need it. If I were to change plan I'd be changing network too I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭KildareP

Looks like it has been retired here alongside the UK:

Get support for Vodafone Sure Signal | Vodafone

What's annoying is that they state:

We’ve also introduced WiFi Calling, which lets you send and receive texts and calls over WiFi with a compatible device.

Except they don't support texts over WiFi Calling plus it's restricted to only a very small portion of their billpay plans, unlike the SureSignal which could be used with any plan - pay as you go or billpay - and fully supported both calls and SMS.

They did recently begin supporting SMS over WiFi Calling in the UK and I believe it's enabled on PAYG there as well but I wouldn't hold my breath on that meaning it'll come here soon. Even the SureSignal we got here was a severely cut down version of what the UK had, where you could add/remove numbers yourself instantly though MyVodafone whereas here you had to send e-mails every time here and then wait up to 48 hours for a response - no good if you had relatives visiting for the weekend and wanted to add them onto your SS temporarily.

That's a shame. So I'll have no choice but to switch network when I move to the new house. The website claims "We’ve made major improvements across our network, so you may be able to connect without it now" but that's no good with new builds being almost like Faraday cages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

they don't support in anymore. Wifi Calling is this replacement and in my experience is better.

• Advertisement

I don't see how Wi-Fi calling is better. Sure Signal worked with any 3G-compatible phone on any plan (even prepay), whereas Wi-Fi calling is only supported on small number of (mostly high-end) phones and only with certain billpay plans. Even if your phone does support it, if it's an Android device it has to have the operator-branded firmware in order to work. And as @KildareP mentioned, SMS doesn't work on Vodafone's implementation of it. While Sure Signal was 3G, that really doesn't matter for calls and texts as it's well able for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

Yeah that's why I said in my experience. The issues you mentioned fortunately don't impact me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

1907 added wifi calling to my number despite not being on one of the "compatible plans". It must be a code or something they can add to the account. They did say that it might not work but it worked immediately. I'm on the old Red Max Sim Only plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Missing sure signal badly. No network coverage at all. I have tried wifi calling and I still can't make calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Advertisement