Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnecting a Kitchen Sink

Options
  • 16-11-2021 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks just looking for advice, was trying to get a plumber ( but God its Hard ) to disconnect a sink so a kitchen fitter can put in a New Kitchen sink,

is this a big job or could i do it,

i know there is a BrassTap under sink i did turn it was a bit stiff it turned of the cold water but the hot seemed to stay on , do i need to turn this more ,

, im presuming this is the right brass tap, did notice a bit of condensation water on the pipes too, presume thats normal i did read u can put foam insulation lagging on them ,

Any help i appreciate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,716 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes brass tap will be the mains cold in to your house, just be aware that this will feed everything else. The hot will be seperately fed, usually the shut off valve for this will be in your hot press. Without a photo of your hot press it's hard to tell which is correct but if you have your heating off and try them one by one you should find it without doing any harm, there may be a run of 30 seconds of fluid from the time you turn off the valve until no water is coming out of the kitchen hot tap.

Try not to waste all the water in the system while waiting for the new sink to be fitted, if possible turn off the mains about 30 mins before scheduled install so that everything else has plenty of water to work from, for example the tank in your attic to feed the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hobby farmer

This is an easy job and well within the remit of a diyer. Your brass tap is your stop clock for the cold mains, turn it clockwise to shut it off. These can be a bit stiff so if it doesn't want to go try some wd40 and maybe some boiling water to get started. Just a word of caution if it hasn't seen use for a while sometimes it might not open again to turn back on the water! Then your hot supply as above should turn off in your hot press or if you're lucky it may have a shut off valve close to the tap.

Go to the hardware and get blanking caps for the hot and cold feed and then you can leave the water back on while the work is carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

While you have the sink and taps disconnected it would save you time and trouble in the future to put on flexible tap connectors.

The expensive ones from Woodies above show the individual stop for the hot and cold feed, so if you had a problem in the future, you could just turn off the tap rather than the whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Hi folks thanks a lot for your help, yes i found the Stop cock i was a bit confused why the hot water didnt stop and i did find it in hot press,

i have included a few photos, because this sink has to come out so a fitter will take this out , but the sink has to be disconnected from water,

on that photo which nut do i turn to take this off is the new silver flexi cable ? i notice that screw you see on that photo if you turn it half way it stops the water ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, the first photo show a small isolation valve. Simply turn this 90 degrees to shut off the water. the nut after this that connects to the flexi hose needs to be loosened to disconnect. Hold the isolation valve firmly when loosening the nut so that it doesn’t turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yenr

I think it's an easy job, It's should be harder when the pipe and sink are fixed and that point possibility of more leakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, on a scale of easy to hard that's easy OP, looks like a relatively new install and plenty of space.

If both the flexible connections have those isolating valves then you don't even need to go near the hotpress or mains valves.

You should be able to undo the waste pipe by hand. I'd leave the U-Bend in place just to keep the smell away while it's open and hopefully it'll fit the new sink without any drama.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

thanks folks so the red highlighted is the nut i turn to right , hope to do it soon thanks folks

Ye, that's the nut. Anti-clockwise to loosen.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Cleanest under-sink trap and flexi hoses I’ve ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭beachhead

Great info

brand new sink but the new sink got marked by tiler

If you don't want the hassle of dumping it, put it up on adverts for free and someone might take it.

Advertisement