Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy bare-root beech for hedging

Options
  • 16-11-2021 9:01am

I have a newish beech hedge where some of the plants don't have growth low down near the base. I want to buy around 25 replacements this winter and was wondering where I could get them. Are they available in garden centers? (They would need to be only 3-4 feet tall)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where in the country are you? most decent garden centres should carry bare root beech, but it's a bit early for it yet. three to four foot tall would probably be the standard size they sell anyway.

has the hedge ever been trimmed? that should cause it to thicken up, if you're seeing bare patches now?

Carlow.

The hedge is on a boundary and when the beech were planted, my neighbour had a net on his perimeter to denote building works. This net blocked light from reaching the bottom half of the beech along that boundary, with the result that the lower shoots dwindled completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

John Joe is very helpful to deal with. I've bought hedging there twice and have had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

https://sapgroup.com/ I think I paid €2 each but they were a bit smaller

Advertisement