Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy farmers and habitat destruction. Where do we draw the line?

Options
  • 17-11-2021 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Recently it has came to my attention that a large dairy farmer locally is the reason there isnt a rabbit to be seen in a 10 mile radius. He illegally introduced the rhd virus because "the rabbits were aten his grash, the rivers that flow through or near hia land that once ran clear are now pea green, the river nore no less. And there is kilometers of hedgerow removed so more cattle can be accomadated.

Wildlife has suffered immensly, from the sights of yesteryear we can tell our children how in the sunset of a september evening you would see rabbits wander freely along the hedgerow, how the streams used to be rich with trout and salmon and how the hunter and the buzzard gets the blame for all this.

Hunting is not being practiced at an unsustainable level, the destruction of habitats through commercial dairy farming and coiltes sikta spruce that renders 1000s of hectres silent every year is the reason for this.

Sorry for the rant but I wanted to get this off my chest. How many cattle does a man want? If 300 isnt enough then 500 isnt enough then 700 isnt enough?

The hunter, the buzzard or the pine martin get the blame but the"Myxi" aka the rhd which didnt get here by wind by the way was introduced by the greedy dairy men. Well done lads. The bare silent polluted rivers and reclaimed paddocks are all yours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Farmers in general dont care about the land. They are using the land for their profit, if killing the rabbits and clearing the brush makes their life easier and improves their bottom line they'll do it. Look at any solution put forward by the farmers, it usually involves shooting or culling of whatever it is that has outsmarted them; foxes, badgers, pine martins, or in the case of fishermen, seals. I know a couple of farmers who used to shoot the local wild goats, despite those goats being an endangered species, because they were eating the flowers in their garden. No talking to these people unfortunately.

As a caveat I know that most farmers care for their own land and their animals and treat them well, I'm not debating that. But you only have to look at the gorse fires they set every year to get an idea of how much they care about the wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭laoismanj

Its a greed cult. Imagine having the neck to spread sh1te beside houses

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

MODERATOR NOTE

You have been on about this for the better part of 5 months starting mulitple threads across numerous forums (nature/birdwatching, petcare, hunting, etc). You were warned then that posting the same thread across multiple forums was considered spam, yet here we are with the same topic being brought up again.

Other than the derogatory, possibly slanderous**, accusations you have made, the spamming nature of these posts ends now. Start another thread about the same topic and moderator action will be taken against you. For now this thread and other threads you have started about the exact same topic are now closed.

If you have personal issues with farmers then take it to the farming forum. If you wish to discuss RHD in rabbits and its origins then the nature/birdwatching thread is best suited. This is the hunting section and the topic, as you wish to discuss it, has nothing to do with hunting.

** - personal opinion, but will put forward for review.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement