Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@MilkyToast wrote

The average age of death with Covid in Ireland is 83 last I checked. The average life expectancy in Africa is 64.

In other words, people in developing countries die of other causes long before they're at the age to be vulnerable to Covid-19.

That's not how life expectancy at birth works.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

All she has said is that it probably needs to be discussed, not that it has to happen. She's a doctor herself anyway so her husband doesn't enter into it. Few EU countries have gone down the mandatory route. It is a problematic path made even more so by the uncertainty about how long a booster will provide extra protection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1000 but it's a very common misconception, like the idea that before the modern era people were dropping like flies in their forties. The biggest impact on life expectancy in the past and in many places in the world today was the horrendous childhood mortality rates. Fewer people made it to adulthood which drags the stat down. However if you made it to adulthood your chances of seeing 60 or 70 were pretty good, with a fair number hitting above that in areas of mild climate and access to food. Consider the gospel Sermon on the mount, where it says "the span of our lives is three score and ten(70), or if by strength four score(80)". If we go by Christian sources that was written in the 1st century AD, it was certainly in existence in the 2nd century and this was aimed at the common people. No commentator responded with "is yer man mad?" saying that. If you look at historical figures quite the number lived well into old age. Plato made it to his 80's, Michaelangelo was nearly 90.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It was a silly and unnecessary comment from her but i do not believe there is anything corrupt in what she was saying. The EU COM never misses an opportunity for greater power, has an elevated sense of its own importance for citizens of the EU. and are in an ivory tower in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The Government is at risk of losing the dressing room on the boosters. There are a lot of people who want one but the programme is not where it should be in terms of delivery. At the same time there are many who got the vaccine to guarantee greater freedom yet are seeing that freedom taken away from them so now will be more sceptical on getting the booster. A terrible few weeks for the Government and NPHET.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's pseudo-science on the level of homeopathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I'm aware, guys, but it was a good enough proxy to make the point I was trying to make, which is that developed countries generally have an older population and Covid is, generally speaking, more severe in older people. If a large number of your young and middle-aged population die of things that are not generally a death sentence in developed nations (TB, diabetes, HIV), then you have more of the demographic that is Covid-vulnerable in your country as a share of population and can therefore expect a higher CFR.

Ireland's median age is 37.8 and South Africa's is 28. That might've been a better data point to use, but it was very early and I didn't sleep well.

It remains the case that there are far more older people in developed nations generally than in developing nations, and that you are much more likely to live a long life in a developed nation with a robust medical system.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Over 65s and those at risk will take care of a lot of that risk but anyone not already intending to get one in lower age groups will not be easily persuaded. If Israel go to Booster 2 even that may fall off a lot.

Von der Leyen is a woman from a German "political royalty" family who has failed upward her entire life, almost had her medical license revoked because she plagiarised half her thesis, has been under investigation in her home nation for a procurement scandal around the awarding of tens of millions of euros worth of contracts, destroyed evidence related to the scandal when her government started to investigate it, and is widely regarded to have been a disaster as defence minister.

The idea that any person is above having an interest in "accumulating wealth" would need some pretty hard scrutiny. The idea that Ursula von der Leyen is above it is almost laughable.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

It is laughable that you believe any of this sh!t that you are peddling. It is a country which doesn't tolerate graft and if there were any substance to your claims her career would be over.

Trying to bring the E.U. and a tenuous link to the spouse of a politician in to a discussion about the merits of taking a booster jab shows anti-vaxxers have no good argument.

Here is why Uschi was allowed keep her Qualifaction but as much in life these facts don't count one jot to anti-vaxxers in the audience, anything that can be used to muddy a discussion can and will be used to maximum effect:https://www.spiegel.de/lebenundlernen/job/ursula-von-der-leyen-darum-darf-sie-ihren-doktortitel-behalten-a-1081520.html

• Advertisement

It's all public record. People can look for themselves.

I gave them a direct link from a reputable publication. just rightclick on translate in your browser for those of you who can't read german.

You are trying to avoid admitting that you are propagating fake news on thread.

...and I must say you have been a very, very busy boy or girl on the Corona forums in the last two months.

I changed my account to be associated with a less-used email when Boards took their data overseas. I assure you I was just as active prior. Nice insinuation there, though.

Anyway.

Plagiarism: https://news.yahoo.com/german-med-school-confirms-plagiarism-minister-keeps-doctorate-185313806.html

Procurements scandal: https://www.politico.eu/article/the-scandal-hanging-over-ursula-von-der-leyen/

Evidence tampering: https://expressinformer.com/eu-president-ursula-von-der-leyen-is-embroiled-in-an-evidence-tampering-row/

Catastrophic term as German defence minister: https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1445429/ursula-von-der-leyen-news-germany-army-eu-brexit-uk-spt

Whatever you may think of her, this is not a woman who is above wanting to "accumulate wealth".

You could just admit that was a ridiculous thing to say.

Germans do not tolerate graft. I've witnessed a number of Gernan politicians being forced to resign so if there was anything to it she'd be gone from Political life long ago. These resignations don't get much international coverage.

Now, do you wish to persist with this fantasy that she is trying to enrich herself by steering contracts to the Company where her husband works in a Technical position.

I'm happy to indulge you so that you don't have time to spend in other threads where you might just sow enough doubt to persuade some naive member of the community not to get a booster shot and infect their loved ones with Covid causing needless death.

You really are an irresponsible So and So, you know. One day you might get some sense but I don't have high hopes.

You've probably worked out by now that I don't have much respect for you and consider you to be a dangerous fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Yep

Now, do you wish to persist with this fantasy that she is trying to enrich herself by steering contracts to the Company where her husband works in a Technical position.

Not something I've said.

I'm just objecting to the idea that Ursula von der Leyen is some next-level paragon of morality and virtue with no interest in "accumulating wealth".

"I'm just objecting....".

No your not, you are trying to undermine her legitimacy and by extension the legitimacy of the organisation which is helping to deliver immunization product to the public of Europe. You are a pernicious Actor trying to steer the Public away from immunisation against a deadly infection.

Incorrect.

You may be confusing me with someone else, but I've only objected to you making the asinine claim that Ursula von der Leyen is not interested in "accumulating wealth".

No confusion. Your Modus Operandi is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭eggy81

Ok haphaphapless. I’ve made bo statement whatsoever. Just found it amusing that you’d counter one spurious assertion with an equally spurious one and try drop the mike.

She’s a politician at the top of the tree.

It’s almost guaranteed she’s interested in accumulating wealth.

• Advertisement

That's your jaundiced view of the world speaking loud and clear there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭eggy81

Pretty much gleaned from watching Irish policy in action over the last 20 years. I accept it’s possible German politicians are squeaky clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

absolute horse shite. where do you think the 5k daily cases are coming from, the unvaccinated?!

this time last year case numbers were lower than now.

we were all sold a lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

1000 of them will be in under 12 year olds (unvaccinated and non-eligable) 13% of the remainder (at least) are in the unvaccinated (520).

So at the very least, 13% of cases coming from the 7% of the eligible population who are unvaccinated. If we were sold a lemon, shouldn't the 7% only account for 7% of the cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

where u get those figures from?

and if the unvaccinated are getting it, theyre no longer unvaccinated, theyre recovered....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Thousands every day for the last month. They are running out of unvaccinated people to blame 😁

It's a pandemic of the unboostered. They are killing your granny's with their unfettered movement.

Figures for the % of cases unvaccinated in the last 4 weeks is here:

These are just cases in those aged 12+

The cases in the 0-12 age group you have to take from here:

We don't know the figures on how many people have recovered and then vaccinated. But that 7% as you mention, should be getting smaller and smaller as they become recovered. Be a nice question for a journalist to ask. How many covid certs have been issued and a breakdown between vaccinated and recovered etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Israel heading for their fourth shot.

Anyone who thinks the booster ends this madness needs their head checked.

Interesting, is that a fourth shot for all?

The UK is going with a fourth shot, but just in the immunosuppressed people (makes sense)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Just the immunosuppressed eh, where did we hear that before...

https://www.thejournal.ie/booster-covid-19-additional-vaccine-dose-immunocompromised-5561876-Sep2021/?section=comment#comments

Advertisement