Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Getting mine with GP tomorrow. Last in my family to get the booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭thebronze14

And when the more effective ones come out I'll take them. The current booster is definitely useful for more at risk categories. For someone my age and profile it is a bit pointless now that herd immunity is a thing of the past. If future vaccines are much better at stopping transmission then they are the way out but the current ones, which MM was clearly referring to, are clearly not the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

There is more than just mrna but that is all we have been offered so far so to speak on the others is counterproductive when speaking about Ireland, we are balled and chained to this technology whether I or anyone else likes it.

I my opinion the idea of lockdown as a solution should also be dispelled. The only thing lockdown will do is slow the transmission and is still widely being sold as the only solution to stop the hospital system clog up, at this stage it's a merry go round.

I think the powers that be are making their stance fairly clear as regards ICU capacity and the concerns around it when near two years deep they are still beating on that drum to entice compliance when not actually doing anything to increase capacity. We are a first world wealthy country, if they wanted 500 ICU beds it could have been done, if they wanted to get staff to staff them back (that they drove away pre pandemic with their miserable conditions and criminal mismanagement) they could have. Instead the have had to rely on the private sector to buffer capacity and still do with no journo or political commentator actually asking that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Yes, but they are not nearly as effective to vaccinate our way out of this.

You can try say otherwise but it wouldn't be factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Pretty much a farce how they're organising it. Not sure is it cos the first rollout was done with a different group organising as that ended up getting stood down, but this one is just a walking shitshow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

Why would you get a booster when you are under 65 and healthy and there is zero threat from the virus

it makes no sense for 2 reasons

1. there are no advantages in getting it, you are still restricted the same as non vaccinated
    2. there is no long term plan to exit COVID restrictions for the vaccinated

Then why bother

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why would you queue for a booster, just get it when your called, its not ebola we are dealing with here. We really are a scared little nation, no wonder the Catholic Church ruled this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

How do you know there is “zero” threat from the virus if you are “healthy and under 65”? The imperial study on Friday stated that there was still insufficient evidence as to whether the severity of Omicron is less than Delta. I saw a report somewhere that Omicron can result in “flu like symptoms”. I had the flu about 10 years ago. It was awful. I’d rather avoid it if I can so this is why I’m getting the booster. Is there a chance I’d only be asymptomatic if I catch Omicron? Yes. Is there a chance I’d only have the sniffles? Yes. But there is also a chance I’d develop flu-like symptoms and who would want that? Also, I plan to spend time with elderly family members over the next few weeks. Another reason to have the booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I got mine this morning in Punchestown. Massive queues but I was there real early. I said to the doctor why they don’t you do appointments instead of having these huge queues and she said that the appointments don’t work as people don’t turn up and they don’t get through as many people. The booster places are open for 3 hours and getting through far more people in that time than they did for the first and second dose.

To answer why I got mine. We care for an elderly man so that’s the main reason but I travel for work all over the country and don’t want to pass this to someone else for them to bring it home to their relatives.

We are all getting vaccinated to protect others by virtue of giving the virus less pathways to spread. The measles vaccination works similarly for the young. You have to get over a threshold of population numbers for it to work. The fact that you alone are vaccinated does not work, you won’t be protected.

The booster is required as the antibodies you have for your original vaccine don’t last forever. You can argue the timeframe from dose 2 to booster as too long or too short depending on where you pluck the scientific data but the reality is your vaccination will not last forever.

you do realise the vaccine does not stop you getting the virus or from passing it on, just stops you from getting really sick

please tell me you know that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

It depends what you mean by “getting a virus”. The majority of people who have just been boosted, will have so many antibodies in their system that the virus is destroyed before it can enter the cells. If the virus does enter the cells, these people may become symptomatic but T-Cells should come into action then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

How early is early to start to queue? When did people start queuing?

If I had of gone today I would have been there before 8am. It opens at 9am on a Sunday.

The source is the continuous lockdowns and restrictions for the vaccinated , that’s the source

even before the newest variant we had restrictions and on fully vaccinated , reason for this is the vaccines work by defending the host against the virus but does not stop the host from spreading the virus

that’s a reality

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sometimes you are better off going later than earlier? And keep an eye on hse on twitter for queueing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Best thing to do would a self booking system. Online portal where you can book your own appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pfarrel1

My friends father got the booster shot and he dropped dead two days after getting it. He was 63 with no underlying issues. God love him, may he rest in peace.

I got there for 7:20am. There were 12 people ahead of me and the next 20 arrived seconds after me. They came in very big numbers and as I drove out a 9:10am, the queue was looping on itself. Traffic on the Punchestown road in both directions was stopped with cars queuing to get in. Think race day numbers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The ability of vaccines to reduce infection had been proven at an individual level in clinical trials and at a population level in differential rates of infection in various age groups as they are vaccinated, and by the low reproduction rate in a highly vaccinated population with few social restrictions.

If you don't get infected you cannot transmit the virus onwards.

As the variants evolve to evade neutralising antibodies (acquired by vaccination or infection) the level of protection drops, but it is still significant.

The reason people are queuing for boosters today is that they want to go into a period of social contact with as much protection as possible. This is on the back of sound public health advice (completely distinct from the ridiculous horse trading around restrictions).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Yeah I'm not gonna bother getting the booster for the 2 reasons that you've mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

• Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The main purpose and durable protection is defence against severe covid. This aspect also wanes but only slightly so boosters there are mainly about toppong up thst protection especially for the most vulnerable.

They also stop many instances of transmission by preventing infection and reducing viral load in those infected. But this aspect wanes hence the need for boosters. This explains increases cases.

How about responding to the study findings which contradict your claims.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Surely, for many people, it would be the convenience of being able to pick a day to go to the vaccination centre? You might decide that you aren't doing anything else on a Sunday morning and can get up early and get it out of the way rather than getting an appointment at 4pm on a random day when you might be busy/working.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yet they are incredibly effective as vaccines go and remain the only show in town.

Any one without vaccine immunity will get it in the next few weeks, they'll then have immunity, everyone then will have some level of Immunity. Same as with countless viruses and diseases over the last 2 centuries.

A weaker immune response is still enough in that the body has experience in fighting a disease.

COVID 19 will probably be around for a long time to come, it will be just another virus people get and unknown to most and cared about by less. That's in pretty short order.

Partly true.

The vaccine gives you personal protection against getting really sick but that’s not guaranteed. You can still get covid and have no symptoms and you can spread the virus but the antibodies in your system will make it transmissible for only two to three days maximum.

For the unvaccinated, if you get sick there is a much greater chance of hospitalisation but that’s not guaranteed either. You may get lucky. But, you are far more transmissible and up to 7 to 10 days.

Depending on the scientific study used the days of transmission changes from 2 for vaccinated to 10 for unvaccinated. That’s what the fringe elements are arguing about and using to their advantage to apply scare tactics. As long as these people get airtime/social media time and we continue to have a significant population who refuse vaccination, this lockdown after lockdown will continue.

I’d be of the opinion at this stage that if you are able to get a vaccine, fit and healthy and you refuse to take a vaccine but rock up to a hospital for treatment for covid later, then you should be turned away at the door. The Hippocratic oath will never allow that.

The new Pfizer pill which has not been released to market by authorities as it is in testing, will cover some eventualities. It is claimed (marketing blurb with no independent scientific data) that taken within 3 days of getting covid, it reduces your chance of death by 89%. Don’t know if it’s planned as a over the counter/prescription/hospital controlled drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Christmas Eve morning? You could be absolutely floored on Xmas day! I think many people are rushing to get them now so they don't feel unwell/tired at Xmas.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I am of the opinion that you are an obese person and you rock up for treatment you should not only be refused but publicly shamed- same for smokers

if you report to A&E for drinks and drugs you should be dragged out and thrown in the nearest river

and if you over 80 you have had enough resources used up in your lifetime, please fly to Switzerland and sort your sh1t out

do you think that is too harsh? well when I read your musings it sounds exactly like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Advertisement