Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

lots has changed, we are open and so far have managed to avoid another actual lock down.

yes the pubs etc have had some extra restrictions re-introduced but that was always going to happen with a new varient while the experts gather the data and facts on it, and those restrictions will be in all likely hood short term.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

And just to extrapolate on it a little bit, it's an area we kind of take for granted and like to only deal in the absolute truths (yes/no) whereas scientists, especially around biology, it's all about probability until they cut you open and confirm (and even then, it's only what probably killed you), it's also why, when looking at the same dataset, a scientist in the field will react very differently to a layman using acquired knowledge to come to a conclusion and misunderstand what the intent in gathering the data was.

To confirm a reinfection within ~6 months, someone must:

1. Be infected with a variant of SARS-COV2 (it was about about 10% of the population in a year, so 5% in 6 months, peaks and troughs make this more difficult)
    2. Have enough symptoms to go and get tested
    3. Have the variant figured out
    4. That person go back to normal life (are they now more or less cautious then before), have them fully clear the viral load (so wait "enough" time)
    5. Be reinfected (is that now a 2.5% of 5% chance over three months?)
    6. Have enough symptoms to go and get tested
    7. Get tested and come back positive then do the test to compare the strain to confirm it's different and not the original infection

That gives a confirmed reinfection (and the study has struck gold). Most else is just probable or possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Certainly Astro, but note "care homes", one of the most dangerous and virus rich environments to study. Where both the residents and staff have much more exposure and risk compared to the background population. And even there: SARS-CoV-2 reinfections were rare in older residents and younger staff. Protection from SARS-CoV-2 was sustained for longer than 9 months, including against the alpha variant. Reinfection was associated with no or low neutralising antibody before reinfection, but significant boosting occurred on reinfection.

Nine months. That's currently way better than the vaccines. Though I would suspect it's likely not. That immune system memory in the majority is holding against reinfection and will likely hold similarly in the general vaccinated and previously infected population outside of those who have poor immune responses.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭thebronze14

It's not really sticking it to the government or anything. I don't see the point at this moment in time. You have to start asking questions though about why they have to restrict people's freedoms to take a booster that will make very little difference to their health and of those around them. If it helped with herd immunity or made a big difference in stopping the spread of covid I'd say fair enough. I do think over 50s and younger people at risk should get it but it feels almost like bullying the likes of me into getting one especially when it has feck all benefit for me or even for the greater good of the country. When my covid cert is about to run out I'll assess things then, and if a more effective vaccine comes out then I'm all over it but it just seems utterly pointless at this stage. They'd be better sending my booster over to a developing country where it would be of more benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The previous study wasn't care homes (more linked for the language used and that I wasn't making it up 😊), will post it when I find it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 trish65

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Short term, you have to laugh. We have already committed to the end of January. We don't do short term, we the longest lockdowns in the world. You are living in dreamland if you think this is short term.

the booster re-instates herd immunity and does benefit the health of you and those around you.

not taking it means your immunity goes down, and thus you have to be restricted because you are an increased risk to others as the vaccine and booster lowers the transmission time period, transmission rate and how effective the strain of the virus is.

you are not being bullied in any way, however you are having consequences proportionate to the risk you pose, imposed on you so as to protect everyone else from the choices you have made, choices have consequences.

• Advertisement

this is factually wrong, we did not and never have had the longest lock downs anywhere.

yes some countries had shorter ones then us but they were extremely hard line real lock downs unlike ours and in some cases they ended up back in them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Figerty

I don't think you are correct on that assumption about the flu. It's still and there most older people have taken the flu shot this year as well. Anyone over 50 could get it. The flu hasn't gone away. Like the flu, the Covid virus was always going to change. I think the Spanish flu had 4 major waves, and no vaccine, and millions dead in Europe.

And a conspiracy theory about the overlords? Please show some evidence for that.. yes some corporations are going to make a lot of money from this, but that is the way of the world./

So what has changed this Christmas for anyone? You can still visit people and travel, the pubs close early, but so what?

Two years ago many were on the brink of collapse. The pandemic support only changed that by subsidizing them. Drink driving laws make it unappealing and most young people either not drinking or drink at home before going out. The world had changed before this. The playstation generations have a different view of socializing.

I got my booster and damn glad of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Some of us have to work over xmas. Dosen't really matter when I get it. Didn't have any reaction for the first two except a sore arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well done you Mary, you have rejected science just becuase you are bored with a situation that humankind only has a limited ability to control. How precious.

Regular Influenza has disappeared precisely because of the barrier protection measures that are being taken, obviously. However, you will note that in schools significant outbreaks of respiratory syncitial virus and norovirus have occurred because all our youngest kids don't wear barrier measures, just as all other winters past.

So don't listen to vaccine tulips and don't become one, take an hour or two out of the 168 hours in the week and get your booster. I will be tomorrow.

14 Jan is next available slot for booster in my local pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What's all this new mantra re 'immunity'?? When did anyone promise immunity to Covid if you took a vaccine programme?? Or current 'booster'. Never.

We were persuaded to take the vaccine programme this past year on the basis that even if we caught Covid, we would be far less likely to develop serious illness and therefore require hospitalisation - the holy grail.

That's far different from immunity. Expect to catch Covid if you engage in the real world and trust your earlier vaccine will do what it said on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

You must have incredible belief and confidence in the capabilities of our world leaders if you think they could seamlessly unite behind any single cause like that. It doesn't happen for any other global issue but apparently China, Russia, USA will all happily sign off on the mad scientist vaccine plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Happy you are getting your booster but would be confident the poster didn't ask you to appoint yourself her spiritual adviser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Figerty

The poster didn't. Is there anything to be said for another mass Ted.... for this pandemic?

immunity does not mean immune, it means your ability to fight the virus sufficiently such that what you correctly stated above, that you will be less likely to get the virus or at least suffer effects, will be more likely to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,554 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Try other pharmacies. I found a big difference between the 2 we have in town. Newer pharmacy did better.

You also need to have an underlying condition or be a healthcare worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Got it today in Carlow, gave blood an hour earlier, so I'm full of needle holes, about an hour of a que, great buzz around the vaccination centre, saw a few under forty turned away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Anyone under 40 with an underlying condition, who got there original vaccine from a GP who is not giving booster shots, if you get a letter from the GP, you will be vaccinated at the large centers

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

What, no you don’t. I got mine in pharmacy and I’m neither healthcare worker or have underlying conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nearly 50,000 vaccines rolled out today -from HSE Twitter site so might only include MVCs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Is this booster effective againest this new covid...or is it a shot in the dark/hope for best

Im to get mine soon enough,and havnt been following news etc lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Doubt if GP data and pharmacy jabs would be in on the day. Impressive figures.

Advertisement