Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s always some time in the near future but never actually arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,993 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'experimental injections'

More than 4.14 billion people are vaccinated, we're well beyond the experiment phase data wise.

Of course you know that already and are just being dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

in case you haven’t noticed the boosters are only rolling out now so it’s still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,554 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Again, mortality risk is one thing. Do you want to be in the hospital? Do all those doctors reporting long-covid issues have them? The marathoners?

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/im-a-doctor-yet-struggled-with-long-term-covid-symptoms/

Acute massive weight loss?

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210712/some-covid-survivors-cant-regain-weight-lost-during-illness#1

If you want to advocate against simple preventatives, no amount of data will change your mind. Consider the damage you're doing when you speak out though. With all the anti-vaxxers out there, increasing vaccine uncertainty benefits no one. And as has been stated many times, it's the unvaccinated in the ICU's here that are the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ever read ‘I am legend’?

just joking, don’t think we’re that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,554 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Speaking of booster effectiveness, new study showing that they increase immunity in the already vaccinated population:

Booster shot of Pfizer Covid jab increases protection to over 90%, new study finds

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40745184.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I will take it.

I just do not want to be punished in the same way as those who are not jabbed, thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If that's all it's about then why do it all? Why do you want those people "punished "? There's a weird kind if mass hysteria at play here, not gonna lie I'm slightly looking forward to the dissection of all this in the future and how it came to be. Assuming I survive of course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Actually my mother will not take the jab, so I might not be the best person to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Got Covid in Jan 2021. Got 2 shots of the vaccine. Can my body take 4 doses of the virus in a 13 month cycle??? No effects so far but Worried that I hitting overdose levels and the 4th dose could be the one to trigger some other problem to my body. If I get my mind over this... I will still have same problem on the call for the next booster and the next booster.

So .. am on the fence at the moment

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would say and outside of hardline anti vaccine types or I always do what I'm told types it's because the data is contradictory, and there's a lot of data. Earlier in the thread we had a poster who has been vaccinated and has recovered from mild covid two months ago being told ah sure you need get a booster. That's a complete medical and scientific bloody nonsense. His covid infection was a booster. Near countless studies by top people in the field published in highly respected outlets have consistently demonstrated that the vast majority of people after infection or vaccination or both show an active immune response to this pox at the eight month stage. Indeed studies into J&J, AZ and "natural" immunity shows immune system memory B cells increased over that time.

Now you will always have outliers. Just as you will see breakthrough infections even deaths among the fully vaccinated, you will also see deaths among "active healthy" individuals, or the under 40's, but while tragic on a personal level these are outliers. After nearly two years since somebody coughed in China the overall realities are clear: Covid 19 is the single least deadly pandemic in modern history. The vast majority of Covid 19 deaths are in those over 65s. The average age of death for Covid 19 is within months of the average age of death full stop. The chances of dying or being hospitalised with Covid in the under 40's are small, in the under 20's they're so small as to be barely countable and those that do die are almost entirely those with serious pre-existing conditions*. Vaccination has massively reduced deaths in the old and vulnerable and treatments for those that do end up hospitalised has come on too.

Other realities are: we don't have a health service fit for purpose and have feck all spare capacity and this was blindlingly bloody obvious long before this pox showed up. Hospital corridors bunged up with the sick and dying on trolleys especially in the winter was an all too bad joke for decades and remains so. Helath services across the modern western world have been caught out by this, but especially here in Ireland.

We'll have to re-evaluate the phrase "avoid like the plague" because people very often don't. We will always have the anti vaccine types, just as we'll always have those who will bypass critical thinking and defer to experts. We have to account for both, but especially the former. Experts are often wildly contradictory even in the face of other expert's consistent data. QV the early advice on masks, the ridiculous notion that closing down gatherings at midnight will do a damn thing about case numbers, the active blindspot around transmission in schools. The list is long.

*as an aside, IMHO we've become too complacent in the face of modern medicine regarding many of these serious conditions. Obesity and type 2 diabetes for example. Over half of Irish men are overweight or obese. Irish women are less likely to be overweight, but about as likely to be obese. In the over 35's those percentages go up. One in five Irish kids is overweight. Maybe this pox will have us re evaluate things and put down the forks, but I doubt it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Your body has had one dose of the virus, that you know about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed and note again it's Pfizer in the mix. Like Ireland Israel went all out for the Pfizer vaccine. And both are now gung ho for boosters of same.

I would like to see a breakdown of vaccines and efficacy over time in the real world. I'll bet now that some do better than others and Pfizer isn't one of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Yes, i have a bigger fear of viruses than of jabs.

You've essentially been "immunised" twice. Once by natural infection and then a "booster" of the vaccine on top later on. I've linked to studies earlier in the thread that demonstrates that the vast majority of people well north of 90% have a robust immune system memory at 8 months after recovering from Covid and one that actually increased over that time, even though antibody levels dropped. The same was seen with J&J.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

"Dose" is hardly descriptive. If you recover from a common cold and a month later walk into a house of people suffering from same with snotters everywhere you won't get another "dose" of it. There's a difference between exposure and infection. If you recover from covid and a month later walk into a covid isolation ward, unless your immune system is compromised, it's extremely unlikely that you will catch covid again in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Interesting data from a Moderna trial participant

https://twitter.com/NealBrowning/status/1460630344672034824

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I'd get a booster yeah, but I sure hope those passports don't start coming in versions. The moment I am asked for my Covid Passport Premium Plus I want off this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't know of many who have got the boosters yet, except a mate and a cousin.

Both had 2 days of sore heads and aches.

Not great to hear, but will still get mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

Got j&j jab in August. On and off headaches since.

Got covid 3 weeks ago. Will only take a booster if it means eating and drinking indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

i was reluctant to take the vaccine early in the pandemic days. eventually i got both vaccines as a precautionary measure last year as no-one really knew where the whole pandemic was going..but now i believe we have a greater understanding of the virus, enough to be making informed choices regarding my body. (age/underlying condidtions,risk etc) I will under no circumstances be taking any more vaccines shots/boosters. I will allow my immune system to deal with the virus in a natural way from this point onward. I have had 2 shots and also contracted covid which my body dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,983 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yes re boosters (in 2 weeks time as it happens)

Sick generally of this appalling Government and Leo prouncing around the Middle East, going on CNN and claiming 5% of the Population he's supposed to be representing are causing all the trouble was infuriating and frankly outrageous. It's the very Government he's apart of that's causing all the trouble, absolutely inept, incompetent, completely in denial and now intent on causing devision, it's disgusting.

We're all in this together, my **** Hole 😡

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Know of one who wandered into their GP and another planning to do the same thing. Neither would be officially approved by age but may be one of the two vulnerable groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭monkeyactive

Fully Vaccinated. I wont be getting a booster though.

• Advertisement

"Words matter" 😄 You sound like one of those screeching Karens on Twitter.

At least the whole Covid saga has given your life some additional purpose. Good luck with the boosters 😄

Advertisement