Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

Anyone from Ireland with some insights of their experience on Irish roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see my neighbour down a few houses and on the opposite side of the estate to me as got one in grey. Changed from a Rav-4 Hybrid. I went down to have a quick look. It's looks very classy from the side. It's grey and not a bad colour for it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

Based on all the bad reviews and the feedback posts from both Irish & UK drivers on some of the Facebook groups who've been driving their bx4x's for the past month, I've decided to cancel my bz4x which is disappointing, but the bz4x just has too many problems and a lot of the current owners who've been driving it for the past month are all pretty much saying, it's nice to drive but there's just too many niggly issues that they hope Toyota will sort out with a software update. I don't want to hand over 40k for a half-baked cake and hope it "might get" a software update at some point. I might wait another year till Toyota sort out all the teething issues with the car.

If you've yet to pick up the car, I would strongly urge you to rethink it before you do until all the issues have been resolved as I've come to the conclusion that the bz4x is just a lovely, shiny, three-legged donkey.

Post edited by HTCJoeSoap on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Merged the two bz4X threads as they had similar discussion re this model

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭society4

Gosh very surprised you have pulled out….can I ask the main reasons ..is it that the range isn’t as expected/heating the car uses too much battery etc…I’m starting to have doubts myself …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

You should join the Toyota Bz4x UK and Ireland Owners on Facebook and read through all their posts over the past month and also the Toyota Bz4x Club on Toyota Owners Club website and read through the range/consumption section.

From the posts, the winter range is beyond brutal and wouldn't suit me commuting up and down the M50 every day - I'd end up having to charge it up every night and over a week it would probably end up being more expensive to charge than to fill up my Corolla with diesel. There's also charging speed issues, the MyT app has issues and there's Infotainment error issues. You'll see it all when you read through all the posts.

I just can't folk out 40k for a car that can only do between 200-250km on a cold day. My Corolla can do a 1,000km on a full tank and barely loses any range when I've A/C on full blast.

A lot of the new owners do say they love the car... but after a month of ownership they're now coming across a list of issues that are bothering them and have had to bring it back to the dealer already for checking.

Any other experiences since the weather improved a bit?

Is the max range still around 260km?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That is pretty shocking alright. Even in the deep freeze last week I was getting 220kms from a tiny Zoe 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭micks_address

my id4 77kw would probably struggle to do 300km in cold weather so the toyota probably isnt that far off the mark

A local dealer told me the cars aren’t on track to be delivered in early 2023….they’ve heard nothing from Toyota HQ …..is March a reality …has anyone been give a definite date in 2023? Starting to think it’ll never arrive !!!

• Advertisement

The later, the better 😂.

Proces are locked for those with orders placed, and we get to see how the car behaves on better weather conditions. Having a better image of it all, we can make a better educated decision about going with the car or not.

The only issue I have is the offer made by the local dealer for the trade in....amd how much this will decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If it's later than July the grant will also be affected.

Yea true…I was told they would look favourably on the trade in price but who knows !

Anyone get a definite date of arrival ….is it still March ?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vimalandrew

Finally, I was able to find a good review on Toyota Bz4x. The reviewer even says that it is better than a Tesla.

When I talked to the dealer last week, he said that new bookings for Bz4x has been stopped because they are not able to fill the current orders and it looks like there are thousands of bookings in Ireland alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If it took you this long to find a good review maybe that tells you something in itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Redfox25

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ah yes, finally a review that doesn’t utterly slate the range of this car…… in a country where the annual temperatures range from a low of 24 to a high of 32… and in a country (733km2) that’s smaller than county Dublin (922km2)….. so pretty much EV heaven…

saw 2 mentions of Tesla, And the only one where the BZ4x was better than a Tesla was because it has buttons inside it unlike the Tesla, and the BZ4x might be a bit more smoother than the Model Y (and I assume he’s only comparing to the heavier (and non Berlin) dual motor Model Y) , but ultimately the reviewer would still have the MG EV5 or even a BYD over the BZ4X…

Not very convincing though is it?

Ill still reserve judgement until Bjorn gets his hands on one…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Redfox25

They likely wont give Bjorn one as he would be too honest to give it the review Toyota would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hopefully someone buys one (even Marcus Biel) and gives it to him to do his full suite of tests….

• Advertisement

Did the dealer say anyone who ordered will get theirs in March or has that been pushed back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

As I didn't know them I looked up their previous videos. This is perfect to form an opinion.

I am still hoping to get mine in March. But I think the deliveries may extend from March to July since there are huge number of bookings. I found there is a waiting period of 1.5 to 2 years for RAV4 in Australia. Demand for Toyota cars is so huge. Last week I saw a guy with a Prius and the car has mileage of 376,000km. He said it never had any issue in any of its parts during its lifetime. All the other cars I saw get ripped off after 100,000km. My landlord has another company's car and just one month after warranty period of 4 years, it got break down in the road. We had our previous car another brand and after 5 years dealer sent an email saying that its timing belt needs to be replaced. This is the story with most of the popular brands. But a Toyota car if we drive it for 20 years or 30 years would have no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How long have you been working in Toyota sales?! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 15,067 ✭✭✭✭elperello

To be fair that wouldn't be the toughest job in the motor trade. 🙂

Honestly, I am just a customer. I got all these ideas when I talked to people. I agree that German cars have more power, interior is nice. But in terms of reliability and efficiency toyota wins. Now Toyota cars are looking beautiful compared to their older generation. Yaris, Yaris Cross, new Prius 2023, RAV4, Corolla Cross, CHR all look beautiful.

Back to my home country, India everyone is buying Suzuki, another Japanese brand. Its also reliable. We bought an Alto in 2010 and still now it has no issues. If something happens, cost of maintenance is very low. As a result of this, Volkwagon Polo already left India. Ford left India.

Likewise here in Ireland, we bought a Skoda Octavia in 2017. Now, dealer has sent an email saying that engine's timing belt needs to be replaced. I would think this is the case with all the Volkswagon family cars.

My landlord, has an Opel Mokka car whose warranty of 4 years ended on last October. On November, car broken down on road and had to be towed.

Matt Watson, 2 years ago, presented Kia eV6 as the world's best electric car on Youtube. Recently, he made a comparison between Bz4x and EV6. He showed very clearly one of its features ripped off. That is seat reclining by pressing a button. I would think same applied for its Korean sister concern, Hyundai.

Last March, I bought a toyota Yaris hybrid. It automatically adjusts between battery and petrol so that it always gives 23 km per litre of petrol no matter motorway or city area.

I met a delivery guy who has a Prius which ran for 376,000km. He said it never had any issue that needed repair. I can see majority or 90% of the taxis are Toyotas.

I found in Australia, customers have to wait 1.5 to 2 years for getting a RAV4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

An email after 5 years for a timing belt isn't really a downside of that brand of car.

Timing belts changed on a whatever comes first of a mileage interval or a time interval.

5 years not unusual in terms of a time recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Timing belts have both age and mileage based replacement time. For example Peugeot diesels are 240000 km or 10 years which ever comes earlier. Have to prepare myself as our LEAF is going to hit 100000 in a couple of months time. At the moment it drives and looks like a new car but most likely something will rip soon as it's a Nissan. Luckily the timing belt on it won't need to replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

You're quite right, but I think his point was that the Toyota doesn't need that. All the engines are chain driven and never need maintenance unless not serviced / crap oil used

• Advertisement

I just saw a good review of Bz4x under winter conditions.

Advertisement