Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I can see 5 bz4xs are in sale. It looks like some people have returned the car back.

So much for Toyota stopping taking orders because demand was so high!!!!!

@vimalandrew i hope now you can finally see through the utter bull$s1t your dealer was feeding you regarding this car. I think you need to go back to the dealer asap and demand them take the back off you as it’s simply nowhere close to what was promised…

As per an earlier post of yours, they are already feeding you the ‘Ah but the May software update will make it the bestest EV in the world” line, so I hope now you can see through that..

Toyota have dropped the ball, and their dealers have no choice but to tow the official line that the car is/will be awesome, and now that the car is here and it’s clearly not awesome, the promise now is it will be awesome…….. in May…. Then when the May update comes and goes, and the car is still a lemon, it’ll be the next update after that that finally makes the car awesome….. rinse and repeat… the question is just how long will people fall for it before realising that all the updates in the world won’t turn a lemon into a non lemon…..

For anyone else awaiting their Bz4x, are you still 100% committed to getting the car? Has any of the posts here/Bjorn videos sowed any doubt in your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Indeed. This is is from our Model 3 LR for a comparison.

Here is a more realistic look at a Model 3 consumption. (This is a 2020 so no heat pump)

I lost my total life of car consumption figure in a reset but it was running at 14.6kWh/100km before it reset…

school run this morning = 17.3kWh/100km

last 50km = 15.4kWh/kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

That car is parked at some ones house.

Its a 17 km trip? 14 km since charged? Lots of people do that sort of driving no? it would be similar to urban driving? Loading and unloading would be 1 or 2 km trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭eagerv

And my figures from my Model 3 LFP.

The since last charge of 72km @ 152Wh/km is entirely short commutes by my wife over the last few weeks when I have been away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Yes, it's total odometre reading of 17 km. Just compare that with our 55000 km stats above for more realistic figure.

It doesn’t matter…. The car only has 17km on it so it’s still factory fresh, and the BMS will not have been calibrated yet…. Any figures that car is displaying must be taken with a pinch of salt…… just look at all the other real world examples that have just been posted.

what you posted is not real world…. That car was charged in China at the factory, then shipped halfway around the world.

you don’t look at the consumption figure in a brand new BMW on delivery day and assume that that’s the consumption figure you’ll always see from the car!

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

"For anyone else awaiting their Bz4x, are you still 100% committed to getting the car? Has any of the posts here/Bjorn videos sowed any doubt in your mind?"

What is to be in doubt about this car? Except the massive difference between the WLTP advertised and the real life range?

As I said before, if one does their homework about this car, or any other EV for that matter, and goes on hopes, they may be wrong.

If one goes on the numbers reported by reallife testing and those numbers are suitable, then, there will be no surprises.

10 BIG YEARS WARRANTY on the battery..... Who can beat that? If the battery goes bad, beyond what they say....they will have to replace it. If this means replacing the car altogether, I would not mind.

Where is the problem?

And to answer to your question, yes, I will go ahead with my purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

This is one reason

Top gear magazine, last no, has a side by side test of BZ4X, Ev6 and Ariya. An interesting article from non Tesla fan jurno

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Regarding efficiency, in my experience Winter hasn't been too bad this year. The odd week with a few days of freezing temps but it's not that cold overall. Efficiency will only get worse if we had a properly cold Winter. The efficiency in my Born is 17.8kWh/100km in March, 18kWh Feb, 19.2kWh in Jan. Feb/March is typically when we get the brunt of Winter yet nothing too bad this year as seen by the efficiency.

Obviously a smaller car but I would be a little concerned with the range of the Toyota in the cold. Only in December at 20kWh would my Born drop below 300km and even then, 290km range compared to the 390km I saw in September. Some people were reporting as little as 250-260 but I believe that was before the software update to fix the battery heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vimalandrew

The problem is with the range. In my Yaris hybrid, it always provided 22km per litre of petrol. Toyota website said, Bz4x will give you more than 500 km range in any case. So I thought its going to be like Yaris. But the range is only 390 to 420km. And I drive 700km a week, I always use minimum fan and 19 degree temperature. Also 80 to 100 percent charging is very slow.

So in practical case, with 80 percent charging, with just a fan or A/C on, it gives 230km. That is a disaster for me. This is because on an icy day, I may have to drive around 300km on a sat or sun and on normal sat or sundays, I drive around 250km. In this case, I have to always look onto the meter or there is range anxiety. My yaris, just fuelling for 40 euros, it shows 550km range and may be I can drive to the end of Ireland. So this car has become a nightmare for me. Its okay, even if it consume 25kw per 100km compared to a tesla.

You could purchase an OBD dongle and use the car scaner app în order to see the exact percentage of the battery charge.

I drove a Leaf for 5 years, I never cared about the range displayed, but about the battery percentage. That is your best and most accurate indicator.

About believing the adds for bz4x driving more than 500km no matter what.... this would almost mean Toyota discovered the perpetuum mobile, which is not possible (yet), so you're paying now, unfortunately, for the lack of research you did before the purchase.

If you don't want the car, I would approach them amicably and tell them what you want. If they are not reasonable, I believe you have an easy case of going to court against them, you just need to document yourself better.

Once I'll get mine, I'll do my best to not forget to pop in here and provide updates on the range and whatnot for interested people.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But he was told the car would do the 500+ km and as he's new to EVs and has been a loyal Toyota buyer he had no reason to doubt what he was told.

This is going to be a major issue for other people in Vims situation.

You have experience in EVs so you know the details are fanciful at best and are not expecting the 500+ but there will be so many people sold a €50K car based on these figures.

You are absolutely right.

This is why I said he could go to court as a last resort. As a loyal customer his expectations were not met by the Bz4x. Luckily this purchase shoukd not be a "buyer be aware" one, so he has rights.

But...... life experience tells me, in all aspects, not only EV car purchase, not everything is what is seems to be, or better, nearly anything is not what it seems to be at first sight, and I would always prefer to be better safe than sorry.

In all fairness, buying a 50k vehicle for deliveries only seems a bit too optimistic, but this is a personal choice however.

I don't envy Vims at all, and I feel his pain, especially in the light of the family matters he's experiencing, which force him to charge at 60c a kwh... thay is just crazy.

The vast majority of EV's (according to Bjorn Nyland) hit in or around 70% of their stated WLTP range, The Bz4X is coming in at around 51% of it's stated WLTP range.

It would have been reasonable to assume then (even for folks with experience of EV's) that if the WLTP range was 500km, then real world expectation would be about ~350km, but given that it's closer to 250km, that's a serious let down, and for the folk coming in blind here, they are going to be shocked at how poorly the car compares to it's stated WLTP range, and will most likely assume it's just all EV's and not just their Bz4X (as after all Toyota are world leaders in vehicle electrification), and as such, will have a very tainted view of EV's in general....

People are still waiting for their long awaited orders, and there are already 5 for sale on CarZone....

Cheapest one 52k with 222 reg.

That is just dealers trying to rip off innocent buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The absolute state of the black mouldings on the white car.

I see a white one every morning on the school run, and yeah, the black on white wheel arches looks horrible in the flesh..

and no doubt they'll tell anyone interested that it'll do 500km per charge...

Whenever I buy something I never had before, and of a certain value, common sense dictates that I research as much as I can about that item. It goes for a lawn mower, microwave over, dishwasher, hell, even for a 5 euro LED bulb.

It only means I want to squeeze the most out of my earned monies.

We are in the end, responsible for how we are spending what we are spending. If one believes what especially a car dealer will tell them.... the joke is on them.

If my soon to own Bz4x takes me to Dublin without freezing and being able to play some music, and leaves me some 40km range to find a fast charger to get me home, I am perfectly happy with my purchase.

I never went on neither forums for the other evs as they just don't interest me, but I'm sure, there are problems with the other brands too.

• Advertisement

I never went on neither forums for the other evs as they just don't interest me, but I'm sure, there are problems with the other brands too.

Definitely. The Auto wipers in my Tesla are bloody awful.... The 'Tesla Vision' update absolutely ruined them.

And to use AutoPilot (Cruise Control), the wipers default to Auto...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

In fairness, the Auto Wipers were already brutal on my 2021 M3 before the Tesla Vision update, too 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭CoBo55

ALL auto wipers are shite, why the fcuk do manufacturers fit them anyway??? It isn't that difficult to switch on your wipers yourself....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

They are excellent, in my opinion, in the ID.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Agreed. My Born and previous Golf have very good auto wipers.

Was driving a Peugeot 2008 in between the two cars for 6 months which had horrible auto wipers. I had to manually activate them every time I got into the cars and there was no sensitivity option and it was usually too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Comer1

Yes, but they're on the wrong way around for RHD cars😀

Tesla Auto Wipers were always camera based, and usually worked well enough.

But since the Tesla Vision update (which essentially disabled the cars radars and made AutoPilot (Cruise Control) 100% vision based), the auto wipers have been utter scut..

My theory is that because Tesla Vision is using the cameras a lot more now, most of the computing power being used in the cameras is allocated to AutoPilot, and something had to suffer, which was most likely the auto wiper function...

I'd like to think they'll fix it/make it better, but for the last few months it's been sh1te..... (driving at night when it's bone dry and they'll wipe away ta fcuk.....) and worst of all is to use AutoPilot, the wipers default to auto.... so I've been on motorways at 120km/h, not a drop of rain and they are just wiping away.... screeching on a dry windscreen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The superb ones are the opposite, the rain could be lashing on the screen and they'll wipe and stop for a split second, wipe and stop, wipe and stop... Does my bloody brain in, moving the sensitivity switch only makes them fast wipe and stop, fast wipe and stop... By then I've moved the switch to continuous operation. I drove a Renault van that loved running them at the highest speed available, the van would actually rock from side to side when stopped at traffic lights 😆😆😆 people must have thought I had a V8...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not true at all, last 3 cars we've had with them they've been perfect.

• Advertisement

Can any of the present owners confirm if the radiant heat is available on their car? As per the snippet above, this seems to be an option with the heated seats, and from what I understand, the Sport version we are all getting in Ireland for now, has heated seats.

Thanks.

Advertisement