Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Exactly.

In terms of the 100 percent thing - my Ioniq will never reach 100 percent on a DC charger because Hyundai limit the car to 94 percent when DC charging...

Thats probably to protect the battery which i assume is why Toyota are starting out with this charging curve.

Remember that the charging curve can probably be updated later with BMS software updates....

As for the below 0 degrees charging thing - its going to have to be tested and its a worry..

But I suspect the car WILL DC charge below 0 degrees albeit slower.

The idea that Toyota would deliver a car that cant DC charge in freezing conditions on purpose just to damage EVs.

Is the type of nonsense anti EVers come out with when saying you need a new battery every 2 years.

Enough is know about EVs at this point that only Toyota gets damaged by any deliberate action to undermine EVs.

Or indeed deliberately letting a car to market knowing it has a serious flaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

The footnote on Toyota press release speaks about the AWD battery

Usually manufacturers downplay this slowdown with temperature. When they say "will increase significantly' it is worrying. -20 Celsius is not an issue on this island but still. It is surprising to see it there with no mention of ways to mitigate. Use battery warmers, precondition before start driving and all that.

The old Ioniq not charging past 94% is an exception not a rule. The new Ioniq5 does a pretty good job in the cold. In the end, in most cases it is pointless to charge to 100% anyway as 98%-100% would take more time than 10%-20%. Lets hope these notes and charging curves are an overcautious approach from Toyota, although they say they are longest electrification manufacturers with the most experience.

Reading above the foot note it says

With a heat pump system for both heating and air-conditioning, seat and steering wheel heaters, and a new front-seat radiant foot-and-leg heater, drivers can stay warm no matter how cold the weather is outside.

Confusing. Does the heat pump not heating the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I did see a twitter comment all right that said in America they come with different batteries in the AWD (CATL) & FWD (Panasonic) versions, and seemingly in Europe both AWD & FWD versions will have the same Panasonic battery from the FWD American version (i.e. not the battery above that cold gates), so maybe that'll help things a little..

When the biggest manufacturer by sales in Ireland finally releases it's BEV, it'll sell by the bucket load here.. no doubt. Charging in the wild will get really fun then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I asked a Toyota dealer to officially enquire as to the WLTP of the Premier Edition bZ4X, which AFAIK is not AWD

The answer back was a WLTP of 420KM .. lost interest immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And they're only giving a WLTP range of 420km? That seems really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

And that's in excess of the predicted Premiere range in the linked write up. Incidentally, that also claims that the Premiere is AWD, and the FWD (Sport/Advance) versions were expected to be about 450km.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thats a lot of battery for what will essentially end up as a 250-300km real world range EV...

And I'd guess there's a load of Totoya loyalists queuing up for one of these, with little knowledge of what it can actually do in real world terms... and their trusty local toyota dealer won't be much use to them on the knowledge front as they've spent the last 15 years convincing people that plug = bad & 100% petrol powered = good...

Timmy will be very disappointed when he realises his 400km round trip down to the folks won't be achievable in a car with a 420km 'range' without needing a charge up along the way!! and if the pi$$ poor DC charging speeds make it over here on European spec cars, eCars will be earning loads of overstay fee's from team toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭iknorr

I adjusted everything to its min and max for both highs and lows. It doesnt work. The wheel wasnt designed originally for this car. They are probably waiting on regulation approval in europe bfore releasing this new steering wheel type.

• Advertisement

My local toyota dealer rang me last week. Prices are confirmed.

Advanced 49 +delivery

Sport 55 + delivery

Premier 59 + delivery,

Which is 7k more than what they previously said. Aparently sales are very poor. They have confirmed 12 cars in august will be delivered. Only 6 had a deposit and 2 of those were questioning if they would go ahead. "its a complete mess from sales and marketing" is what he told me.

Options are not set yet.

As i said in my previous posts - the official Sales brochure from Toyota Europe to the sale people on the floor mentioned the below:

Advance will not be available in ireland until 2023. Only premier and Sport available in 2022

Ranges, WLTP Advanced 500. Sport 485. Premier 435.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

That’s bloody expensive. There are a lot of other car options around that price. Not competitive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looks like they haven't factored in the €5K grant, should be available on all three if they can keep the final price incl delivery below €60K

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Polestar did the same with their pricing.

They quoted 54.5 k entry level when initially setting a price in Ireland.

That's now 49.5 k after the 5 k grand deducted

And looks like Nissan are doing similar with the Ariya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭creedp

Probably don't want to advertise the even greater price differential between the sub and over €60k models. Very hard to justify the real €10k differential between a €60k and €65k model.

Nope, that includes the grant.

Business was 5 k more which doesnt include the grant.

Yup. Me and a few lads in work were all looking to buy them.

I drove up to dublin when it was in the shopping center for two days. nice car. Its not worth 50k though. I dont know what toyota were thinking.....and what made them think they were going to be competitive by increasing the price by 7k.

I saw in the another forum in the USA, that some dealerships were putting up their fees by 10k, purely because they expect people to rush out and buy this with the shortage of other brands. All those guys on that forum basically said...no toyota, its the Ioniq5 or ModelY for them.

Cannot understand the pricing. You say includes the grant starting at 49K plus delivery.

Yet Toyota's on line pricing shows €43489 including grant?

Which is the business model you speak of? I only see Advanced, Sport and Premier edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not sure if it was here or on Facebook, but I saw a chart recently listing the top 10 companies in terms of the money and effort spent campaigning against environmental issues.

Toyota were in the top 5 I think.

Ring a bell for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭kuang1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

The sport is around 49k on the road, this is available to order now and test drive/view in show room in few weeks. The dealer I spoke to said its just the Sport model they are getting at the moment. I presume the 43489K (not sure if it includes delivery)is the advanced model which will be available later.

Advanced model should be a good seller here, if and when available. €43,489 for a 71kWh battery with a fairly good spec incl heat pump for not a huge amount more than the 58kWh Hyundai Ioniq 5.

Not interested myself but good to see Toyota eventually seeing the light..☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have read it's 71.4kWh Useable, Gross around 75kWh. But very little information around as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

First review I’ve seen

“But beware if you’re an early adopter – launch cars get a 6.6kW on-board charger; wait a few months and cars will get 11kW charging.

Also missing on the inside is a glovebox. Toyota has tried to slim down the dash to give a greater sense of space, which means the glovebox had to go. Clever use of space between the front seats is supposed to compensate, but that’s a trick rivals have pulled and still managed to include a glovebox.”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

6kW only on 75kWh battery is nonsense. Couple that with bad DC speeds (not the coldgate issue, just slow speeds in general) and you basically can't charge the car at all at a reasonable speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for posting the review.

It's generally positive but I can't figure out why the 6.6 to 11 upgrade is not from the start.

I wouldn't worry about the glove box if there is enough storage between the seats. A lot of gloveboxes are perfunctory nowadays anyway.

I see the 4WD is tow bar plated for 750kg.

I still haven't seen one but they seem expensive.

Advertisement